Lawn Care Forum banner

Newbie Needing Help with Reel to Bedknife Adjustment

937 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  anthonybilotta 
#1 ·
I am very new to reel mowing (jacobsen pgm22). I would like to adjust the reel to bedknife as it appears that on one side of my reel, the mower is tearing the grass. I confirmed this by doing a paper test and on the left 1/4 of my reel, it will not cut paper whereas on the other 3/4 it cuts well.

The reel was freshly sharpened earlier this season.

My question is, how much contact do you want between the reel and bedknife? Using my feeler gauges, it appears that the clearance of the reel right now is about .003 inches and the reel spins freely (rotates about dozen times before coming to a stop)and there is no metal on metal sound which I assume means there is a good air gap between the reel and bedknife.

When I adjust this gap down .002, there is resistance when I spin the reel, and the reel will only rotate about once before coming to a stop. There is also a noticeable metal to metal sound. However, the reel will cut paper on both sides.

My question is, is there suppose to be a light contact between the reel and bedknife to the point where the reel spins freely but with a bit of resistance ?

Thanks

[media]https://youtu.be/8PmxtQ1XZFg[/media]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.