Lawn Care Forum banner

Backpack Sprayer Recomendations

9K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  SuperD4K 
#1 ·
Hello. I posted this question in my lawn journal yesterday, but figured I'd make a dedicated thread here for more visibility. What Backpack Sprayers do you recommend? Any that you would warn to stay away from? I'm in the market for a new one as my Chapin backpack manual pump sprayer is currently sitting in the trash can on the curb.

#7 ·
BurtMacklinFBI said:
I got the typhoon 2.5. No complaints and it sprays consistently every time
Same, I just got the typhoon 2.5. It's a beast. Definitely professional level equipment so if you are willing to spend the money, it will out preform most other backpack sprayers as far as consistency and from what I have heard/read, longevity as well.

#9 ·
I would recommend either the My4Sons or Flowzone Typhoon 2.5. The My4Sons is customizable, feature-rich, and their support is legendary, but it's a bit un-polished. FZ has all the features and is more polished, but it's generally more expensive and support is lacking. I honestly like the My4Sons better. It's more comfortable, the units are displayed super clear on the side, the pump is solid, etc. I once broke something on that sprayer and texted the company. I got a quick response on a temporary fix and they shipped the replacement part that day for free.

Sprayers I do not recommend are SprayerPlus 105ex and Chapin. SP is just horrible, so many issues. Chapin has QA issues.

#12 ·
Just went from a pump backpack to the Flowzone Typhoon 2.5. Figured if I was going to upgrade I might as well go all the way. As a warning, the tips it ships with are about useless for lawn use. However, if you get it from GCI he includes the adapter needed to use teejet tips and actually includes a couple different types of tips. Considering his prices are the same as most everywhere but comes with the adapter, and the fact I've learned quite a bit watching his videos I figure it's a no brainer to order from him.

Edit to add: the Typhoon has enough power on high to use with bleach to soft wash my siding. Honestly this thing has a lot of power and for lawn use I can't imagine ever going above setting 2 for applications.

#15 ·
killacam said:
BurtMacklinFBI said:
Is there any way to figure out the psi ratings for each setting? It would be nice to know what they were but the manual doesn't state anywhere so instead I have to measure everything out manually with each tip.
I looked online and thru the manual and I didn't find that info either. I measured manually with the few different style tips that I need and just wrote it down for future reference.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply. To be honest, I was leaning towards Flowzone, I just couldn't decide between the Cyclone 2.5 ore the Typhoon 2.5. I'm not sure if i'll ever need the full PSI capabilities of the Typhoon, but on the other hand, it's better to have it and not use it, than not have it and need it someday, right? Anyone have the Cyclone? Thoughts?

#18 ·
I've only seen one mention of Sprayers Plus in here. It's not a backpack, but I picked up a YT25E 2 gallon last year and it's been a great unit. I've not taken great care of it at times and still chugs along with no problems. Perhaps the backpack is of the same quality.

#19 ·
wizardstephen said:
Thanks everyone for the reply. To be honest, I was leaning towards Flowzone, I just couldn't decide between the Cyclone 2.5 ore the Typhoon 2.5. I'm not sure if i'll ever need the full PSI capabilities of the Typhoon, but on the other hand, it's better to have it and not use it, than not have it and need it someday, right? Anyone have the Cyclone? Thoughts?
I loaded mine with siding cleaner for my end of season house wash and was able to reach way up to the peak. Probably 30 feet or more. Better to have and not need haha.

#22 ·
killacam said:
BurtMacklinFBI said:
Is there any way to figure out the psi ratings for each setting? It would be nice to know what they were but the manual doesn't state anywhere so instead I have to measure everything out manually with each tip.
Stick an inline pressure gauge on the handle, like some people did in the DFW sprayer wand thread.

#23 ·
woodmotorsports said:
Bombers said:
Not sure if I would use bleach with your typhoon if the seals aren't the right type (viton) to withstand harsher chemicals.
I think I'm safe. Got the idea off flowzone website: https://www.fzspray.com/post/ken-miller-preps-painting-jobs-with-flowzone-storm
Looking at the Typhoon on their site
https://shop.fzspray.com/collections/sprayers/products/typhoon-2-5
then click on Downloads and then Technical Data Sheet, it lists - Seal Type Viton

#24 ·
wizardstephen said:
Went through the same thoughts when I was buying my typhoon. Watched a handful of videos online and I 100% realized that unless I am planning on trying to reach up really high (which I don't need to), then the cyclone was plenty. Then went on GCI's website to purchase (highly recommend by the way, the quick connect tip he provided is perfect, so much so that I just bought a second) and somehow ended up with the typhoon since the price wasn't much more expensive. So it comes down to if you ever think you will need to use really high PSI (which lawn applications almost never need) and if the extra money is worth the "have and not need vs need and not have". But this is a perfect example of do as I say, not as I do. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.