Irrigation systems, sprinklers & other watering topics
ricwilli
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1285 FL and 5k BL
Mower: Push mower

Help with irrigation layout

Post by ricwilli » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 am

Hi everyone
I need help with coming up with a layout of the sprinkler heads on this odd lawn layout. I definitely want to use Hunters MP Rotors and would like to do it correctly the first time. Your help is greatly appreciated.

- Water Pressure = 52psi
- 5 Gallons per 46 seconds
- 5g / 46sec x 60sec = 6GPM
- Front Lawn = KBG Sod
- Sides and Backyard = No lawn. I did a total kill

FRONT LAWN

Last edited by ricwilli on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Help with irrigation layout

Post by g-man » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:35 pm

I did a quick draft to get ideas on placement of heads and tweak from here. Where is your water meter? Is it 3/4 PEX? I'm assuming left like mine. Your house layout is similar to mine, but yours is more challenging. I assumed you will want to go underneath the sidewalk for the strip.

I color coded the layout. Some are using the hunter 30psi bodies and the rest is 40psi. There are some though choices. For example on the left side I think mp2000 but they are at the limit of their reach. I think the MP3000 will still be too much dialed down. There is a dry spot that will be a challenge to cover, can you reshape the mulch?

On the right side you will need to use a corner. There is a green dot (MP1000 at 30psi), that might be needed, but I'm not sure. It depends on the reach of the MP corner. You will also see two dot next to each other, it is not a mistake. They have different reach (16' vs 11')

I see 4 zones in the front and I think you should use 5 and maybe 5.5gpm as the design for the zones. Our pressure drops at 6am during the summer.

For the back, no trees in the future or landscape? No patio? Is there a swale on the back that you need to keep some distance from?

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 am

@g-man Thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule to help me out. Below are my response in blue.

I did a quick draft to get ideas on placement of heads and tweak from here. Where is your water meter? Water meter is on the left section. Approx. 5 feet up from the letter “k” of the word "sidewalk" on the pic. Is it 3/4 PEX? Yes. I'm assuming left like mine. Your house layout is similar to mine, but yours is more challenging. I assumed you will want to go underneath the sidewalk for the strip. Yes.

I color coded the layout. Some are using the hunter 30psi bodies and the rest is 40psi. There are some though choices. For example on the left side I think mp2000 but they are at the limit of their reach. This will be a problem as we get lots of strong winds. I think the MP3000 will still be too much dialed down. I might have to live with some run offs. There is a dry spot that will be a challenge to cover, can you reshape the mulch? I forgot to redo that section. There should only be a 1’x16’ section that will not get or get very little water. I’ll try and see what I can do about it. We wouldn’t want to make that section any bigger as its to big now.

On the right side you will need to use a corner. There is a green dot (MP1000 at 30psi), that might be needed, but I'm not sure. It depends on the reach of the MP corner. I think the MP corner does 12’ with 30psi. I have one and can test it out on my above ground sprinkler stand that I made and using to water the lawn. You will also see two dots next to each other, it is not a mistake. They have different reach (16' vs 11')

I see 4 zones in the front and I think you should use 5 and maybe 5.5gpm as the design for the zones. Our pressure drops at 6am during the summer. I was surprised to see this. Coming from the East, our family is not use to the low-pressure water. We thought there was something wrong like a blockage or the water meter not being fully opened. I call the water company and sure enough, they said that our house was receiving the correct water pressure.

For the back, no trees in the future or landscape? No trees. No patio? We will be getting a patio. The problem is, that our house is only a year old and we were told by a few companies, that we must wait till the ground settles. We just don’t know the shape and how large we want the patio. There might be some shrubs on the sides of the patio. Is there a swale on the back that you need to keep some distance from? It’s a very shallow swale. It starts right behind the 100’ mark line on the backyard pic.

-

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm going crazy trying to see how this can be better. @gman is correct about the MP3000 being to much. As well as the MP2000 being used to the max. This is not good as it gets pretty windy here by me.
I drew something up but I'm thinking this might be to many sprinklers. 5 zones. What do you think?

Last edited by ricwilli on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-man

Post by g-man » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 pm

I actually like it.

Don't worry too much about the qty. of zones. You can mix mp1000 and mp2000 into the same zone as long as you have the gpm for it. The mp stripe are more challenging to mix with mp1000/2000.

g-man

Post by g-man » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Also, when I'd discussed the backyard, I understand you won't have the patio right away, but I think you should design for the patio you want. Place the head/zones like you already had the patio in there. This way when you get the patio, you don't have to move all the heads.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:42 am

g-man wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 pm
I actually like it.

Don't worry too much about the qty. of zones. You can mix mp1000 and mp2000 into the same zone as long as you have the gpm for it. The mp stripe are more challenging to mix with mp1000/2000.
@g-man Thanks for the response. Just to confirm. I would be adding the precipitation rate of the sprinkler heads to get the amount of heads I can use per zone, that does not go over my maximum GPM? In this case as you suggested, 5-5.5GPM? I will definitely be keeping the MP Strips on there own zones. I'm just hoping that I have enough heads on the strip.
g-man wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:59 pm
Also, when I'd discussed the backyard, I understand you won't have the patio right away, but I think you should design for the patio you want. Place the head/zones like you already had the patio in there. This way when you get the patio, you don't have to move all the heads.
The wife and I are trying to figure out the patio layout that we'd like and than we can go from there.

Thanks again

g-man

Post by g-man » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:02 am

In the hunter tables it list the gpm each nozzle uses based on the setup. A 90 degree mp2000 uses 0.43 gpm, while at 180 is goes to 0.77gpm.

Now that you have the head locations, nozzles and patterns, write the gpm and start adding to see how many heads you can connect in a zone.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:58 pm

This is the breakdown of all five zones.

Zone 1
MP2000
90 - 4 @ .43 each = 1.72 gpm
180 - 2 @ .77 each = 1.54 gpm
Total = 3.26 GPM

Zone 2
MP1000
90 - 4 @ .21 each = .84 gpm
180 - 4 @ .42 each = 1.68 gpm
360 - 1 @ .84 each = .84 gpm
Total = 3.36 GPM

Zone 3
MP2000
90 - 4 @ .43 each = 1.72 gpm
Total = 1.72 GPM

Zone 4
MP1000
90 - 3 @ .21 each = .63 gpm
270 - 1 @ .63 each = .63 gpm
MP Corner - 1 @ each .19 = .19
Total = 1.45 GPM

Zone 5
MP Strip
MP Corner Right - 2 @ .22 each = .44 gpm
MP Corner Left - 2 @ .22 each = .44 gpm
MP Strip - 3 @ .44 eeach = 1.32 gpm
Total = 2.2 GPM

I'm thinking of cutting it down to 4 zones.

4 Zones
Zone 1 = 3.26 GPM
Zone 2 = 3.26 GPM
Zone 3 = Zone 3 + Zone 4 = 3.17 GPM
Zone 4 = Zone 5 = 2.2 GPM

Next is running the Main and Lateral pipes. I think I will run a Main through the house/basement over to the right side of the house. I can than have two control valves on each side of the house. The Backflow preventer will be on the left side of the house.
Last edited by ricwilli on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-man

Post by g-man » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:24 pm

FYI, for the main thru the basement, you will need to use copper or PEX. Plan for ways to blow the irrigation for the winter.

Zone 5 might be challenge to do both strips in one zone. You will need to go across the driveway. I think you can compromise and add the right strip to the zone 3. It might overwater the strip, but not by much. This way the whole right side is a single zone.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:18 pm

I've worked with copper and pex. Sense the house is plumbed with pex, I'll run pex. If I attach the right strip to zone 3, can I do the same with zone 1 and the left strip? That zone would be 4.58 GPM.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:14 pm

I had about two hours to waste before life gets in the way again and I decided to work a little on the sprinkler dream. I've stopped attending to the lawn as I think I'm going to do a whole new renovation. Besides, the builder still has to come out and fill a long sink hole. I cut some of the pipes (not glued). I'm running 1" sch 40 pvc. I also purchased the PVB size 1".
I've decided that I will make the front strips two separate zones. Three zones each side. My water pressure is just to low. I don't want to chance it with all the homes that are being built around me.

Does anyone have any recommendations on sprinkler valves? I would like to start piecing together the manifold.

g-man

Post by g-man » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:53 am

I used hunter jar top type. No real reason why other than it had good reviews and it seems easy to take the top off.

The front lawn looks good. The balance feet helped. What are the plans for the back? You can throw some cheap seeds from Menards (avoid annual ryegrass) and kill it later.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:56 pm

I went with the jar top. I purchased 8 for now. I know I will need more for the back. At least I can now do the manifold for the valves. The back is going to be a nightmare. It has a lot of rocks and pebbles. I have no idea how I am going to remove all the pebbles.

ricwilli

Post by ricwilli » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I have 15 feet on each side of the house. Should I put the sprinklers against the house so that the sprinklers spray away from the house?