My DIY irrigation plan

Irrigation systems, sprinklers & other watering topics
g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: My DIY irrigation plan

Post by g-man »

I really like these manifolds. https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/prod ... ifold-kits

Easy to add/remove a valve. Use this on the other side of the valve to go to Poly or there is one to go to PVC. https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/dura ... ts-335-010

mwemaxxowner
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 1/3 acre
Mower: Zero turn

Post by mwemaxxowner »

GrassOnTheHills wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:37 pm
CenlaLowell wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 pm
TSGarp007 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:17 am

What do you mean use the one for the most restrictive pipe? Those files on that website don't work for me, but I'm assuming they can handle different pipe sizes for each pipe section right? Although recently hsvtoolfool, I think, reminded me about the pressure loss occurring prior to the meter (which is on the tutorial website), which takes some knowledge from the utility or a good guess about type and length of pipe immediately prior to your meter. So that would be the first section to calculate pressure loss, but all the other sections of pipe can be calculated individually based on flow and pipe size/type. I didn't include the pipe leading to my meter in my calculations, though I think that run is probably really short anyway and luckily it didn't matter.
I need to read this really well because I was going to go with 1 inch for everything. Water meter, pvc, and everything else will be 1 inch
That's likely fine and the right way to go. As the tutorials point out, bigger is almost always better than smaller. Many believe a smaller pipe size increases pressure but that's not true. Most likely if your house was built recently it has a 1" supply line anyway, so it'd be consistent from mainline to head. And with 1" pipes you have MUCH more freedom when it comes to GPM than at 3/4". Our next house will have a 1" line or we're not buying it :)
I was actually blessed with main line that's about 80' of PEX! 😔
Northern SC, 13.5k ft² centipede in front started from sod. Half irrigated by below ground irrigation, half by above ground system with impacts. Back yard is a mixture of wild grasses. Very sandy soil.

GrassOnTheHills
Grass Type: PRG in front, TTTF in back
Lawn Size: 5000sqft
Mower: Troy-bilt TB240 & Manual Reel

Post by GrassOnTheHills »

mwemaxxowner wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 pm
GrassOnTheHills wrote:
CenlaLowell wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 pm

I need to read this really well because I was going to go with 1 inch for everything. Water meter, pvc, and everything else will be 1 inch
That's likely fine and the right way to go. As the tutorials point out, bigger is almost always better than smaller. Many believe a smaller pipe size increases pressure but that's not true. Most likely if your house was built recently it has a 1" supply line anyway, so it'd be consistent from mainline to head. And with 1" pipes you have MUCH more freedom when it comes to GPM than at 3/4". Our next house will have a 1" line or we're not buying it :)
Oh dangggg. Is it 1"? That's like mega restrictive :(
He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.
- Ps. 147:8

Lawn Journal: Post-DIY Irrigation 100% PRG
DIY Irrigation: Lessons Learned

mwemaxxowner

Post by mwemaxxowner »

GrassOnTheHills wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 am
mwemaxxowner wrote:
GrassOnTheHills wrote:

Oh shoot. I meant to include that. It's 3/4 😔.

I have 7.5 gpm at the meter, and by my spigot, which is just before the main enters the house, I only have 5 gpm.

Some day I will replace the main with 1" pvc. Lot of other irons in the fire right now.
Northern SC, 13.5k ft² centipede in front started from sod. Half irrigated by below ground irrigation, half by above ground system with impacts. Back yard is a mixture of wild grasses. Very sandy soil.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 29603 sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

mwemaxxowner wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:01 am
GrassOnTheHills wrote:
mwemaxxowner wrote:

I have 7.5 gpm at the meter, and by my spigot, which is just before the main enters the house, I only have 5 gpm.

Some day I will replace the main with 1" pvc. Lot of other irons in the fire right now.
7.5 at the meter!!!! How? I hope I don't have this problem when they install my new 1 inch meter
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

DIY irrigation plan

GrassOnTheHills

CenlaLowell wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:14 am
mwemaxxowner wrote:
GrassOnTheHills wrote:

7.5 at the meter!!!! How? I hope I don't have this problem when they install my new 1 inch meter
Your meter is being installed separate of your house supply, yeah? I can't imagine you'd have an issue unless your city intentionally reduces flow for some reason (irrigation tutorials had some interesting examples of this). You'd likely already know about this if you had low flow at your house supply.
He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

GrassOnTheHills wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:22 am
CenlaLowell wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:14 am
mwemaxxowner wrote:

Your meter is being installed separate of your house supply, yeah? I can't imagine you'd have an issue unless your city intentionally reduces flow for some reason (irrigation tutorials had some interesting examples of this). You'd likely already know about this if you had low flow at your house supply.
There's no low flow at my home thank goodness. Yes it's a separate meter from the house.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

mwemaxxowner

Post by mwemaxxowner »

I have two 3/4 meters. One is an irrigation meter, one is for my house. They both measured 32 psi and 7.5 gpm RIGHT AT the meter. 🤦🏼‍♂️I called to ask them if this was normal or if something was wrong, and last week they ran me a larger supply line (I'm assuming. I came home and saw the results of them trenching it in). Since they did that, I have 8.5 gpm.

This has JUST happened, and I wasn't thinking about the recent increase when I made that statement above.

Next door, at my grandparent-in-laws, they have an irrigation meter with a 1" tap and a 1" meter and it produces 32 psi and 10 gpm.

I could pay $1400 for a 1" tap and meter but I think for such a marginal increase, I'll just work with what I have.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

mwemaxxowner wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 pm
I have two 3/4 meters. One is an irrigation meter, one is for my house. They both measured 32 psi and 7.5 gpm RIGHT AT the meter. 🤦🏼‍♂️I called to ask them if this was normal or if something was wrong, and last week they ran me a larger supply line (I'm assuming. I came home and saw the results of them trenching it in). Since they did that, I have 8.5 gpm.

This has JUST happened, and I wasn't thinking about the recent increase when I made that statement above.

Next door, at my grandparent-in-laws, they have an irrigation meter with a 1" tap and a 1" meter and it produces 32 psi and 10 gpm.

I could pay $1400 for a 1" tap and meter but I think for such a marginal increase, I'll just work with what I have.
Understood, what I'm thinking about thats got me concerned with your numbers is at my spigot (3/4 water meter here)on the house I had 70 psi with 6 gpm which is unacceptable to even try this irrigation with. I'm going to ask them before I get this meter what kind of numbers I can expect.

Update, called water department and talked to a employee and on Monday they will let me know what the average water pressure and gpm for my area. I won't do this job without at least 10 gpm. I'll keep you all posted.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Spoke with the city water department today and he said I can expect 50gpm out the 1 inch water meter. Wow!! Was my only reply. Next is to see if they will let me put a water meter where I suggested.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

50gpm from a 1in is way above safe.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

g-man wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 pm
50gpm from a 1in is way above safe.
That's what I was wondering that number seems high, but what can I do about that? I really wonder if he wasn't pulling my leg.

It's also the same main line that feeds my home, so what would that mean for my home??
Last edited by CenlaLowell on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

mwemaxxowner

Post by mwemaxxowner »

If it actually did flow that much, you would just limit your design pressure to safe flows.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

mwemaxxowner wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:10 pm
If it actually did flow that much, you would just limit your design pressure to safe flows.
Design pressure??? I'll wait to rainbird send this design because I have no idea what your talking about. Does it mean specific sprinklers, pipe size, or cut back on flow, etc

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

GrassOnTheHills

CenlaLowell wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:15 pm
mwemaxxowner wrote:
Design pressure??? I'll wait to rainbird send this design because I have no idea what your talking about. Does it mean specific sprinklers, pipe size, or cut back on flow, etc
Yes, you'd only "demand" up to the safe flow from your system. Just because the mainline can supply in doesn't mean you need to request it. Same as opening a hose bib. A hose bib can supply more than is safe to run for long periods of time. Opening a hose bib to half throttle is akin to only requesting a portion of what can be provided. You're still going to want to figure out what a safe flow is for your specific situation though because rain bird needs that on the design request form. You can't put 50 gallons per minute on that.

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

GrassOnTheHills wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm
CenlaLowell wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:15 pm
mwemaxxowner wrote:
Yes, you'd only "demand" up to the safe flow from your system. Just because the mainline can supply in doesn't mean you need to request it. Same as opening a hose bib. A hose bib can supply more than is safe to run for long periods of time. Opening a hose bib to half throttle is akin to only requesting a portion of what can be provided. You're still going to want to figure out what a safe flow is for your specific situation though because rain bird needs that on the design request form. You can't put 50 gallons per minute on that.
Thanks, I understand now. On the rainbird design I put 15 gpm as a estimate based on the pipe table.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

mwemaxxowner

Post by mwemaxxowner »

I should have said design flow. Oops! Sorry about that!

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

mwemaxxowner wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm
I should have said design flow. Oops! Sorry about that!
No problem I'm a newbie to all this stuff

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan

TSGarp007
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 10,000 sf
Mower: Honda Walk Behind

Post by TSGarp007 »

50 gpm! Up-size your pipes and get golf course sprinklers... lol

Topic Author
CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

TSGarp007 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:12 pm
50 gpm! Up-size your pipes and get golf course sprinklers... lol
Lol, this will be a long drawn out process for me. Of course I'll let everyone know if this 50 gpm is true

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

DIY irrigation plan