Topic Author
kurifodo
Grass Type: Not yet known
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Honda - Gas

Seeking advice on sprinkler head locations & zones

Post by kurifodo »

Hi,

First time DIYer here following the guidance from https://www.irrigationtutorials.com. I'd appreciate a second (or more :D) opinion on zones & sprinkler head locations for my backyard. It is roughly 3000 sqft and almost a nice rectangle, but not quite.

I plan on using drip lines in the beds. I'm seeking advice for just the lawn area at this point.

How many zones would you recommend assuming 8 GPM and up to 75 PSI available on my irrigation mainline and where would the heads be placed?

Topic Author
kurifodo

Re: Seeking advice on sprinkler head locations & zones

Post by kurifodo »

This is what I arrived at after doing my research. Feedback is appreciated before I break ground in the coming weeks. :) I've purposely left out the drip line for now.

Last edited by kurifodo on Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalcormier
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Big Dog

Post by kalcormier »

Looks very well thought out.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

Heads looks good, but i would split the zones slightly different. Keep the 360 in its own zone. But split the others into left/right or north/south. This will save you in pipes and allows to skew a zone to shorter duration to account for shade.

Topic Author
kurifodo

Post by kurifodo »

g-man wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 pm
Heads looks good, but i would split the zones slightly different. Keep the 360 in its own zone. But split the others into left/right or north/south. This will save you in pipes and allows to skew a zone to shorter duration to account for shade.
Thanks for the advice on the zoning. The north/south split makes a lot of sense as I get more shade on my south border due to the fence (not shown).

Topic Author
kurifodo

Post by kurifodo »

Updates based on feedback. Happy to iterate more if more feedback comes in. Thanks!

g-man

Post by g-man »

I would feed the 360 head from the top valve box. No point in going to the second one and then turn around.

I also like having a master valve.

dj80d
Grass Type: mixture mostly bermuda and rye
Lawn Size: 6220
Mower: honda

Post by dj80d »

g-man wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 pm
I would feed the 360 head from the top valve box. No point in going to the second one and then turn around.

I also like having a master valve.
add a master valve and flow sensor. lots of good info to get from flow sensor

Topic Author
kurifodo

Post by kurifodo »

Thanks for the feedback. I updated the diagram to feed the 360 head from the top valve and incorporated a Master Valve + Flow Meter.

Based on the master valve & flow meter addition, I believe I need to branch the pipe supplying the "New Faucets" from the automated irrigation mainline -- the flow meter wouldn't measure what I really want when the faucets are in use is my understanding.

That said, could I get a nod if my modifications (revised branches and pipes) make sense? Any inefficiencies or flat out errors?

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by SCGrassMan »

I feel like with rotators, I'd like to see 4 on the yellow zone, two on the green zone, and 4 rows instead of 3 - this is pretty similar to the layout and dimensions of my back yard, and I definitely wish they had put more heads in.

Or, just 4 rows of 3, including 2 @ 360's that throw a shorter distance in the middle.

I think depending on sun, you're going to get a dry spot immediately around that 360.

Also, that 30' is the farthest its ever gonna throw, under ideal conditions, when its properly adjusted and brand new.
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338
2020 Lawn Journal:
We don't speak of this year.
2021 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26593

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

I would lay that out with rotors. It will be a bit of a stretch for MP rotators to make that 30 foot throw with just 9 heads, but Rainbird 5000s, Hunter PGPs or i-20s will work just fine.

8 GPM seems low unless you are on a very small water meter and an older house. Most newer houses are going to have water supplies that will flow 12-20 GPM. That being said, it is better to plan for lower flows. If you find you have 12 GPM after installation, then you can upsize the nozzles on rotors and get higher precipitation rates, but MP rotators or RVANs don't let you increase precipitation rate for higher flows.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: Award, Solar Eclipse, Moonlight, Prosperity
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Topic Author
kurifodo

Post by kurifodo »

bernstem wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:17 am
8 GPM seems low unless you are on a very small water meter and an older house.
This is my case. My home was built in 1956 and it has a 5/8" x 3/4" water meter. I measured the flow at the nearest faucet to my house mainline, and it produced 8 GPM. I'm not sure if this will increase by tapping into the mainline directly since it has a larger size than the faucet? Best case it does, but I'm going to design for 8 GPM just in case.
SCGrassMan wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:25 pm
I feel like with rotators, I'd like to see 4 on the yellow zone, two on the green zone, and 4 rows instead of 3 - this is pretty similar to the layout and dimensions of my back yard, and I definitely wish they had put more heads in.

Or, just 4 rows of 3, including 2 @ 360's that throw a shorter distance in the middle.
Is the below design what you are suggesting, SCGrassMan? Overall, the lawn gets a lot of sun. Shade covers the southern 5-10' of lawn in Winter and hardly any in Summer for the warmest hours of the day (10a - 5p). I laid out the zones running west to east, so I could control watering the southern (shadiest) area better as g-man earlier suggested.

SCGrassMan
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by SCGrassMan »

@kurifodo yes, that looks much better to me.
2019 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7338
2020 Lawn Journal:
We don't speak of this year.
2021 Lawn Journal:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26593

g-man

Post by g-man »

In the area that says capped, place a valve box and a valve. This way you can drain that pipe for winter. Eventually you will use the valve box and add more valves in the future, so it is not wasted.