Irrigation systems, sprinklers & other watering topics
Topic Author
PFTanx
Grass Type: Bluegrass, rye, fescue
Lawn Size: 19000SF
Mower: Ego Z6

Head placement woes

Post by PFTanx »

Well, this sprinkler head is poorly located. It’s on the side of a hill. I think one of the issues, in addition to this section getting hit by 4 heads (fixed that I think) is how low it sits. It feels like a lot of the water shoots right into the side of the hill and then runs down. I think I’m just stuck with it? I could turn the flow rate down significantly but that equates to more water shot right at the side of the hill. I can turn it all the way up, but that dumps a lot of water right at the top of the hill to run down. I actually wouldnt mind just removing this one all together. Is there an easy way to do that? They’re rainbird 5000s so no shutoff screw. I could buy the 5000+ and put it in and shut it down?

Tier 1 newbie

BBLOCK
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: kbg mono. tttf/kbg mix
Lawn Size: 45.5ksqft
Mower: JD 220A/husqvarna-ts-248-g

Re: Head placement woes

Post by BBLOCK »

PFTanx wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:40 pm
Well, this sprinkler head is poorly located. It’s on the side of a hill. I think one of the issues, in addition to this section getting hit by 4 heads (fixed that I think) is how low it sits. It feels like a lot of the water shoots right into the side of the hill and then runs down. I think I’m just stuck with it? I could turn the flow rate down significantly but that equates to more water shot right at the side of the hill. I can turn it all the way up, but that dumps a lot of water right at the top of the hill to run down. I actually wouldnt mind just removing this one all together. Is there an easy way to do that? They’re rainbird 5000s so no shutoff screw. I could buy the 5000+ and put it in and shut it down?

I have one sprinkler sitting in a lower spot in the side of my fire pit, it's a 4" rotator, hunter makes a 6' and a 12" so I'm toying w the idea of trying out one that pops up higher

Topic Author
PFTanx

Post by PFTanx »

BBLOCK wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:44 pm
PFTanx wrote:

I have one sprinkler sitting in a lower spot in the side of my fire pit, it's a 4" rotator, hunter makes a 6' and a 12" so I'm toying w the idea of trying out one that pops up higher
I ordered a 5000 plus and will shut it off. I don’t know that it will totally fix my issue, as it’s the low head on the zone, but not dumping water a foot from the head on the hill should help.
Tier 1 newbie

uts
Grass Type: KBG and TTTF
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Ferris FW35, Toro timemaster

Post by uts »

If its at the base of the hill AND if you need the water, I would put it right at the base at the same angle as the slope, put a small nozzle and make it rotate only 180 deg on the face of the slope to have a slow soak. this will decrease run off significantly. most slopes tend to run dry due to runoff and having a small nozzle helps getting that water in.

Topic Author
PFTanx

Post by PFTanx »

uts wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:20 pm
If its at the base of the hill AND if you need the water, I would put it right at the base at the same angle as the slope, put a small nozzle and make it rotate only 180 deg on the face of the slope to have a slow soak. this will decrease run off significantly. most slopes tend to run dry due to runoff and having a small nozzle helps getting that water in.
Thanks for the tip! I did get my rainbird 5000+ installed and have it shutoff for the moment as it’s quiet soupy. Once it dries out, perhaps I’ll put a 1.0 or 1.5 on it to give it the slow soak?

This is my first experience with any kind of irrigation and I’ve found that changing the rainbird heads is a breeze. If I can do it, anyone can.

There was a bit of a learning curve adjusting the pattern and the “left stop” (which I broke and thus the first head replacement). But, otherwise, I get it now! I continue to make tiny adjustments each day. My neighbors must think I’m nuts.
Tier 1 newbie

Topic Author
PFTanx

Post by PFTanx »

PFTanx wrote:

Shutting off this head really helped the area grow out, quite quickly!
Tier 1 newbie

DIY Lawn and Garden Products