Topic Author
uts
Grass Type: KBG and TTTF
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Ferris FW35, Toro timemaster

Irrigation pipe sizing.

Post by uts »

Hey everyone,

Il start by saying I have read through the tutorials a while back but it seemed simpler to ask this question here rather than going through everything again.

I will be adding some zones to my existing sprinkler system coming spring. I will be doing most of the work myself. My mainline is PVC and laterals are poly. My flow right now is around 10GPM. My laterals are 0.75" (I think) and riser pipes are 0.5".

I saw a good deal on BlueLock (1" 100ft=$50) and was looking at buying just 1" pipe for the laterals and maybe some 0.75" for the risers because the area will be more open and I will be running i20 with 360 deg rotation so I need the flow.

Does that sound right?

Thanks.

burntfire
Grass Type: Zoysia Compadre
Lawn Size: 3000 sq ft
Mower: Green Works Rotary

Re: Irrigation pipe sizing.

Post by burntfire »

Sorry I missed this post @uts

Running 360 i20s is really going to depend on the nozzles... you're not going to be able to run many of them with 10 GPM available.

I like to run my laterals in 1" and risers in the inlet size; mostly 1/2".

I would really need to see a layout.

Topic Author
uts
Grass Type: KBG and TTTF
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Ferris FW35, Toro timemaster

Re: Irrigation pipe sizing.

Post by uts »

burntfire wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm
Sorry I missed this post @uts

Running 360 i20s is really going to depend on the nozzles... you're not going to be able to run many of them with 10 GPM available.

I like to run my laterals in 1" and risers in the inlet size; mostly 1/2".

I would really need to see a layout.
Thank you for this. The area is a big rectangle. The width is about 120' so I plan to run 5 rotors in one zone, with the first and last being 180deg. So only 3 will be 360. I am comfortable with the nozzle chart and the outputs (I think) so my plan was to put a size 1 in the corners, size 2 in th middle and a 3 on the 2 sides. This helps with minimizing wet spots with overlaps sometimes (or a combination of this). So this should keep me with in the GPM.

My question for piping was more to see I wasn't crazy in terms of oversizng and cost as well.

I was planning to put 1" laterals and 0.75"riser pipes to mitigate any resistance issues. The 1" pipe is costing me $50 for 100'.