Irrigation systems, sprinklers & other watering topics
Topic Author
ricwilli
Grass Type: TTTF and KBG
Lawn Size: 7097 sqft
Mower: Push mower

Re: Help with irrigation layout

Post by ricwilli »

@g-man Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately its a no. We've been living in hotels on the weekends because of my daughters soccer traveling team. I didn't have the time to work on it. All the sprinkler parts is sitting in the garage. Looks like I have to take days off of work in the spring to get it done.

SwBermuda
Grass Type: Bermuda(s)
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Mclane 7 reel

Post by SwBermuda »

Hey @g-man here is my incredibly crappy layout compared to what @ricwilli put together.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

My lawn journal - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9538&p=234904#p234904

So I took advantage of the weather yesterday and went outside for a bit.

I dug a hole to the main 3/4" PEX water line.

In this pic, you can see the main PEX water line going into the basement. I will tap into the main water line in the basement. It will than come back out and up where I will connect the PVB. I will add a cross pvc after the PVB where the right side will go to the valves, the left will be for drainage and the bottom will go back into the basement and ran to the other side of the house connecting to the valves that will control that side. The line in the basement will be a 1" PEX line.

Hole all covered up waiting till it gets warmer so I can glue all pvc.

Last edited by ricwilli on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

Does it matter what layout I use? Thanks

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

It depends. The one on the right might be better if the center pipe is larger diameter than the branches. But the one on the left can also be better if you use a larger diameter on the first split.

There are other factors to think about. Let's say you want a tree in the future or the cable TV company needs to bury a cable, then the one on the left might be better since it keeps the pipes away of center of the front yard.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

@g-man Thanks. Luckily I did not buy PVC for the backyard and I will be able to use the 3/4" PVC that I purchased as branches. Will 1" PVC trunk be enough with 3/4" branches? Took some time last night and drew how I will need to run the pipes. I had to redo Zone 2 based on your response and tree. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make it better. I'm a little concerned about Zone 6 and 7 as the GPM's is over 5.5. This is a lot of PVC :o .

g-man

Post by g-man »

To lower zone 6 and 7, you can move the one of the 180 from each of them to zone 8. The two at the end of the of the backyard.

Definitely use 1in PVC or poly for those backyard zones until they start to branch out. The flow thru the pipe reduces at each head, so the pressure losses are less.

On zone 2, I think you should go right next to the driveway in the bottom right side of the square instead of the middle of the front yard.

Overall, it looks good. Print out the design and have it close by when digging. Renting a trencher will save you a lot of time on the backyard. You might not be able to use it in the front since all the utilities are in our front yards. Call 811 to have them mark it.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

Good idea with moving those two heads to zone 8. I will update it. Thanks. Looks like I'm maxed out. Not to sure what you mean with zone 2. Are you saying that I should connect the bottom right corner mp1000 90 to the mp corner strip side on zone 2?

g-man

Post by g-man »

What I mean in zone two is to connect the mp1000 180 next to the 21 feet in your drawing with the mp 1000 90.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

g-man wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm

On zone 2, I think you should go right next to the driveway in the bottom right side of the square instead of the middle of the front yard.
I will do that, but also keep the connection to the mp1000 360 in the middle, correct? Sorry, for the stupid questions, just trying to make sure I do it correctly. Another question, the supply line to zone two will be 1 inch, should the rest also be 1 inch?
Thanks

g-man

Post by g-man »

I think you can do this.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

Thanks for taking the time to draw it up. I've updated the layout.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

Little update. Dug up the holes for the sprinkler boxes. They are low but will be raised with stones. They are all covered up now. Hopefully they don't get filled with water.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

Ok, so I think I got everything I need to do this project. Separated the zones with their required sprinkler heads and plumbing. I'm sure I'll be needing something while doing the install. Now waiting on the weather to warm up more.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

I am also going to see if I tackle the gutter downspouts and run them underground.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

My body is aching from being in the crawlspace and digging.

This is the connection in the crawlspace for the PVB.

PVB connected.

Going to irrigation box. Zones 1, 2, 5, 6

PVB Out coming back into the house crawlspace.

Ran the pvc across the basement to the other side of the house.

To outside.

To irrigation box. Zones 3, 4, 7, 8

I purchased this controller on sale last year. I don't know if I should stick with it or purchase another one with more zones for future use. I did not know I was going to be using 8 zones from the start.

The system is filled with water from the main water line being tested for leaks. It will remain under pressure from here on out. Will run the valve wire from the irrigation box to where I want the controller today. Maybe call it a day. LOL......

TSGarp007
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 10,000 sf
Mower: Honda Walk Behind

Post by TSGarp007 »

Did you do anything with the gutter downspouts or just leave them in place? I thought about burying one to get it away from my house for aesthetics, but my redesign took so long that I skipped it.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

TSGarp007 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 am
Did you do anything with the gutter downspouts or just leave them in place? I thought about burying one to get it away from my house for aesthetics, but my redesign took so long that I skipped it.
Not yet. I will tackle the downsouts when I rent the trencher. I have two options. 1) Just extend the downspouts, (four of them) 12 feet away from the house with pop-up emitters. 2) Attach the downspouts to a 90 feet schedule 40 pvc tubing all the way to the end of the backyard. This will have to be done to both sides of the house. Option one will save me a TON of money but will have soggy soil. I am also battling neighbors downspouts as well.

TSGarp007
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 10,000 sf
Mower: Honda Walk Behind

Post by TSGarp007 »

What about a French drain? That should help with the moisture from the neighboring yard.

Topic Author
ricwilli

Post by ricwilli »

TSGarp007 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 am
What about a French drain? That should help with the moisture from the neighboring yard.
That would be more expensive than running pvc to the backyard. lol. I also thought about catch basin in front of the neighbors downspout and tap it into the pvc that would discharge out the backyard. I think if I eliminate my downspout and have it discharged to the backyard, the soil won't be as soggy. As of right now the soil is taking on four downspouts on each side of the house.