Do you need head to head coverage for hose-end sprinklers with uniform coverage?

Irrigation systems, sprinklers & other watering topics
Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: TBD

Do you need head to head coverage for hose-end sprinklers with uniform coverage?

Post by Bermuda_Rooster » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 pm

As I'm shooting for a B+ lawn on a budget, I'm looking to get good coverage from an above-ground, movable sprinkler setup. I don't mind using in-ground heads on spikes, but I am starting to wonder if that's not the best route for good coverage with the fewest number of sprinklers.

The discussion in Tommy Tester's Hunter I-20 thread is interesting. I watched most of his testing videos and never really considered that the consistency he was measuring isn't what a single in-ground head is trying to achieve-- and that's why head-to-head coverage is stressed.

But what about for hose-end sprinklers, particularly those tested that do get nice uniform coverage, like the budget-friendly Rain Bird P5R? If I'm going to use sprinklers like that, do I need to try to get much overlap, or is it okay to put them just close enough together not to leave gaps? Thoughts?

TommyTester
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Northern Mix/PR
Lawn Size: 9000
Mower: Troy Bilt 42' Hydro Rider

Re: Do you need head to head coverage for hose-end sprinklers with uniform coverage?

Post by TommyTester » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:38 am

If you use a Blue nozzle (08) on one P5R, identify locations 25 feet from each other and you should be good. If you are trying to run more than one at a time, then you'll have to reduce the spacing. Until I went with a travelling sprinkler to cover a 5K area, I used the four P5Rs with quick disconnects and moved a single hose to each location until the job was done. This way I didn't have to re-adjust the end points. Good luck.

Bermuda_Rooster

Re: Do you need head to head coverage for hose-end sprinklers with uniform coverage?

Post by Bermuda_Rooster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 am

TommyTester wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:38 am
If you use a Blue nozzle (08) on one P5R, identify locations 25 feet from each other and you should be good. If you are trying to run more than one at a time, then you'll have to reduce the spacing. Until I went with a travelling sprinkler to cover a 5K area, I used the four P5Rs with quick disconnects and moved a single hose to each location until the job was done. This way I didn't have to re-adjust the end points. Good luck.
Any issues with consistent performance of the traveling sprinkler-- slipping off the hose, getting stuck, etc.? Can you do a very narrow (say, 6-8 ft) strip with one? That may end up a good solution, too.

BubbaGrumpus
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda (Front/Back)
Lawn Size: 14k.
Mower: Tru-Cut C27, Snapper Rotary.

Post by BubbaGrumpus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

I have the one of the Orbit traveling ones from Lowes. My experience is positive so far.. with a bit of a learning curve. The directions say it can pull 150ft of hose.. I notice it’s more closer to 100-120ft. It will jump the hose on corners with that much hose behind it. It just takes practice on hose layout. I’ve also had it get stuck a few times going over bare patches again with that much hose behind it.

Overall I like it. The only negative I see is that it takes for-e-ver to get 1/2” down on a large lawn. I’m talking 6-7 hours of watering. It’s a set it and forget it kind of sprinkler. Works though.
Last edited by BubbaGrumpus on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bermuda_Rooster

Post by Bermuda_Rooster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:26 am

BubbaGrumpus wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am
I have the one of the Orbit traveling ones from Lowes. My experience is positive so far.. with a bit of a learning curve. The directions say it can pull 150ft of hose.. I notice it’s more closer to 100-120ft. It will jump the hose on corners with that much hose behind it. It just takes practice on hose layout. I’ve also had it get stuck a few times going over bare patches again with that much hose behind it.

Overall I like it. The only negative I see is that it takes for-e-ver to get 1/2” down on a large lawn. I’m talking 6-7 hours of watering. It’s a set it and forget it kind of sprinkler. Works though.
I'll only have 2500 sq ft of lawn total-- less than 1k in front and ~1600 in the back. The corners of the house and the driveway create the biggest issues, so I started wondering if the traveling sprinkler could end up a one-sprinkler solution.

EDIT: Oops-- just realized there's a forum specifically for irrigation. Sorry mods. Please move if appropriate.
Last edited by Bermuda_Rooster on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyTester
TLF Supporter

Post by TommyTester » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am

BubbaGrumpus wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

Yup. All fair observations. It is very uniform however. The thing to keep in mind is that it has one of the highest GPMs, so even though it seems to take a long time, it is actually delivering "1/2 inch" in less time than other "full lawn" options. Clearly it's made for mostly straight runs and where it's own spray doesn't lead to it getting stuck.

Last year I did experiment with 2 different mobile methods of my own design that allowed the use of sprinkler heads like the P5R. They both still need work. :?

Bermuda_Rooster

Post by Bermuda_Rooster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am

Awesome-- good info, guys. When our house is complete I'll work up a diagram and may seek more input.

BTW, @TommyTester, thanks for all of your youtube testing-- great stuff!

Bermuda_Rooster

Post by Bermuda_Rooster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Actually @TommyTester and @BubbaGrumpus , another question about your traveling sprinklers. Presumably wherever you start (/finish) the path, water is thrown ~24 ft behind (/in front) as well. So do you start/ all the way at the edge, throwing water into the street/driveway/neighbor's yard, or do you move into the yard some distance before you start/stop? Just wondering about the tradeoff between waste and coverage at the edges.

TommyTester
TLF Supporter

Post by TommyTester » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 pm

@Bermuda_Rooster Valid question. I start 12 feet in from the edge, so yes there is some waste as well as some under-watering.

BubbaGrumpus
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda (Front/Back)
Lawn Size: 14k.
Mower: Tru-Cut C27, Snapper Rotary.

Post by BubbaGrumpus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Really the only time I’ve noticed waste is when watering the hell strip (into the street) and making sure I get the corners of the property (up on the fence)

I try not to do it to much as I’m on city water.

It’s honestly the best sprinkler I have for my situation. That and it has sentimental value because we had one when I was a kid.
Last edited by BubbaGrumpus on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.