Looking to Plant Privacy Hedge and Was Reading Another Post...

Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
L4Kf
Grass Type: Heinz 57
Lawn Size: Acre-plus
Mower: Tractor with mowing deck

Looking to Plant Privacy Hedge and Was Reading Another Post...

Post by L4Kf » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm brand new here...which means, I really don't know terminology, plants and all that. And considering I live surrounded by forest, one might think I really should know all of that. I agree. So, here I am. ;)

The current issue I want to address on my property is a privacy hedge.

The 11-acre property is primarily forest, with about 2 acres of buildings, lawn and fenced-in garden area. And of course there is all manner of foliage. Unfortunately, I know little to nothing about any of it. This obviously leaves me at a distinct disadvantage.

Anyway, my original thought was to transplant some of what I have elsewhere (seeing as I have so very much of it) to the spot where I want this privacy hedge. In searching the forums, I found this post
(viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11182&p=184802&hili ... cy#p184802), which was very helpful.

In any event, I am wondering about a few things that the other post mentioned, realizing that that post was made barely two months ago. The Thuja Green Giant appears to have been the top vote-getter from that post. I recall seeing this tree at previous properties of mine and so I think I would know it if I saw it here. Sadly, I don't recall having seen it. But I will keep looking.

Then, even if I do find it elsewhere here, it seems to me that it would be more cost-effective to just purchase the plants instead of attempting multiple transplantations. Thoughts?

But I wonder if this particular shrub/bush/plant/tree/whatever is appropriate for Zone 6b, where this particular property is located. Also (and this was addressed in the other post), being forest there is all manner of animal. You name it, it's probably been through the property: fox, bear, deer, raccoon, dog, cat, skunk, opossum (I'm pretty sure), snake, mice...the list is likely endless. It sounds like the Thuja would be of little to no interest to the animals, which is good.

Also, the soil here is more rock than soil, at least where I intend to create the hedge. Honestly, I think I'll have to use a gas-powered auger to make the holes (unless the holes don't have to be THAT deep). How will the Thuja do in rocky "soil"?

Additionally, the hedge would be located in a spot where it would not get all-day sun, as there are tall trees on either side of it. So I'd say...maybe...8 hours of sun, maximum. (Even in summer.)

So, I priced a new Thuja Green Giant plant, and it seems to be available for less than $30 each; this, to me, is reasonable. Again, it seems that just buying/planting new would be the best option.

Now, the truth is, I'm not thrilled about such a TALL bush/shrub/whatever. I think that 30' would work fine. Is there a bush/shrub/whatever that would be nearly like the Thuja but just shorter?

SIGH

So many questions. Sorry to drop all of this, especially as a newbie who couldn't help anyone else if his life depended on it. I'll appreciate whatever guidance others provide.

Thanks much!

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Re: Looking to Plant Privacy Hedge and Was Reading Another Post...

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Emerald Green get 15’ high. They supposedly can stand as little as 6 hours a day of sun without thinning too much.
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 pm
Emerald Green get 15’ high. They supposedly can stand as little as 6 hours a day of sun without thinning too much.
I went window shopping today and saw those Emerald Green plants. My guess is that they are very similar to the Green Giants in most other respects. Might work well in my case.

I did find some Green Giants, too. I'm told I'll get a discount for buying at least two. Also told that GGs are very tolerant of soil conditions, and that Autumn is the best (or nearly best) time of year to plant them.

So, I think I'll go with six of the GGs. Thanks much pennstater2005 for chiming in. :thumbup:

Now to dig those holes....

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: HRR216 & Toro Recycler

Post by gm560 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Emeralds will get eaten by deer, unfortunately. They also get flattened by heavy snow and sometimes never recover, even with staking. I just removed 10 of them this spring for this very reason.

Here is another option if you haven't pulled the trigger yet.... similar to Green Giant, but a little stockier is what they say.

https://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/G ... rbgsp2.htm

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Post by Babaganoosh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 am

Not only do the emerald greens get eaten by deer, they end up looking like weiners. It's pretty funny. Deer absolutely love them.

I've got a row of green giants and they are starting to mesh together. I couldn't be happier with these so far.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

gm560 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm
Emeralds will get eaten by deer, unfortunately. They also get flattened by heavy snow and sometimes never recover, even with staking. I just removed 10 of them this spring for this very reason.

Here is another option if you haven't pulled the trigger yet.... similar to Green Giant, but a little stockier is what they say.

I have enough deer to start my own football team, so, yeah...deer-resistance needs to be very high. In comparing the GS to the GG, I like that the GG will eventually be quite wide at the base (in addition to the high resistance to deer). For my particular situation, I think 6 will work.

Thanks much, gm560, for the response. :thumbup:

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Babaganoosh wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 am
Not only do the emerald greens get eaten by deer, they end up looking like weiners. It's pretty funny. Deer absolutely love them.

I've got a row of green giants and they are starting to mesh together. I couldn't be happier with these so far.
That meshing of the GGs sounds awesome. It seems that would make a very effective privacy wall, AND be a bit challenging to physically breach, too. I hope to achieve that as well.

Thanks, Babaganoosh, for saying something. :thumbup:

P.S. How long ago did you plant yours?

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 pm

L4Kf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm
gm560 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm

I have enough deer to start my own football team, so, yeah...deer-resistance needs to be very high. In comparing the GS to the GG, I like that the GG will eventually be quite wide at the base (in addition to the high resistance to deer). For my particular situation, I think 6 will work.

Thanks much, gm560, for the response. :thumbup:
:thumbup: I actually just planted 3 Green Giants myself. FWIW I found Lowes by me to have the best prices. $22 for a 3 gallon pot. Tree's are probably 3-4 feet tall. HD was $30 for the same size root ball, and they seemed a bit shorter. I would have bought from a nursery by the prices they wanted at my local garden centers were insane.

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I put them in last spring. I'll take a picture later.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm

:thumbup: I actually just planted 3 Green Giants myself. FWIW I found Lowes by me to have the best prices. $22 for a 3 gallon pot. Tree's are probably 3-4 feet tall. HD was $30 for the same size root ball, and they seemed a bit shorter. I would have bought from a nursery by the prices they wanted at my local garden centers were insane.
I found them locally for $40, but only if I purchase at least two. That seemed high to me, and I'm glad to have you confirm that. I may go back there and make them an offer, as they claim that they're a slow-to-move item, AND it's the end of the season(?).

Was checking out these (https://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/L ... n-s/43.htm). I like! Still have to see what they want for shipping, as I think I'd like to do maybe one a week for six weeks. I think that'll just fit the ideal planting season....

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Babaganoosh wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm
That'd be great. What would you say is the amount of width/height added since they were planted? I was stunned to read that these can grow 24-48" per year under decent conditions. I'd love that. Just makes me sad that I didn't do this years ago. I'd have a great privacy wall by now. :sorry:

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 pm

L4Kf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm
I found them locally for $40, but only if I purchase at least two. That seemed high to me, and I'm glad to have you confirm that. I may go back there and make them an offer, as they claim that they're a slow-to-move item, AND it's the end of the season(?).

Was checking out these (https://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/L ... n-s/43.htm). I like! Still have to see what they want for shipping, as I think I'd like to do maybe one a week for six weeks. I think that'll just fit the ideal planting season....
How tall for $40? My lowes has larger Green Giants as well (probably 6 feet tall) but they want $70 for those. They grow pretty fast so in the long tun the 2 feet is moot, which is why I opted to save a few bucks. Although they will probably not grow more than a few inches the first year while they are getting acclimated and setting their feet.

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:32 pm

L4Kf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:35 pm
Babaganoosh wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm
That'd be great. What would you say is the amount of width/height added since they were planted? I was stunned to read that these can grow 24-48" per year under decent conditions. I'd love that. Just makes me sad that I didn't do this years ago. I'd have a great privacy wall by now. :sorry:

They have grown about 3 to 4 foot taller within the past 18 months. Probably more but I've trimmed the center leader back 3 times. Doing that promotes a thicker, bushier growth down low. That's exactly what I want for my privacy screen.

I planted them 5 feet apart and there was lots of space between them initially. Lately you can't see thru the first few feet unless you are looking straight on.

As for the height numbers they give you it's somewhat deceiving. If might grow 3 feet in a year but that's the center leader. It's not necessarily branched growth. Its a lot more sparse at the top 25 percent of height. That's why you trim the leader back a little bit. I've also hand pruned them to promote good growth. You trim vertical shoots to keep other leaders from forming. It prevents the tree from splitting in snow.

I forgot to grab some pics but I'll get some as soon as I can. I'll also find pics of when I planted them for comparison

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:27 am

How tall for $40? My lowes has larger Green Giants as well (probably 6 feet tall) but they want $70 for those. They grow pretty fast so in the long tun the 2 feet is moot, which is why I opted to save a few bucks. Although they will probably not grow more than a few inches the first year while they are getting acclimated and setting their feet.
Not sure on the height, but certainly no 6'. I'm planning on going back today, so I'll let you know.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 am

They have grown about 3 to 4 foot taller within the past 18 months. Probably more but I've trimmed the center leader back 3 times. Doing that promotes a thicker, bushier growth down low. That's exactly what I want for my privacy screen.
Hmm...I hadn't really thought about trimming, and how that would affect their shape/growth. Will have to do some thinking about that, and then research how to trim to get what I want.
I planted them 5 feet apart and there was lots of space between them initially. Lately you can't see thru the first few feet unless you are looking straight on.
My situation is that the trees will be viewed from a rather steep angle, like almost in a line. So I figure that the distance between them can be greater than what you did. I'm planning on 12' or so.
As for the height numbers they give you it's somewhat deceiving. If might grow 3 feet in a year but that's the center leader.
What do you mean by "center leader" and "leader"?
It's not necessarily branched growth. Its a lot more sparse at the top 25 percent of height. That's why you trim the leader back a little bit.
At an apparent mature height of 40' to 60', I'm ok with sparseness near the top. I figure that a somewhat broad growth at 30' should do the trick.
I've also hand pruned them to promote good growth. You trim vertical shoots to keep other leaders from forming. It prevents the tree from splitting in snow.
We definitely have heavy snow here. The last snow we got, at least of any significance, was some 13" and knocked out power here for not quite 5 days. The other trees similar to the GG were sagging tremendously. So this is good to know; thanks.
I forgot to grab some pics but I'll get some as soon as I can. I'll also find pics of when I planted them for comparison
:thumbup:

jasonbraswell
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: Zero turn

Post by jasonbraswell » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 am

I picked up a Leyland Cypress at Lowe's last weekend in the clearance section. Probably a localized deal but worth shopping.

Babaganoosh

Post by Babaganoosh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

The center leader is essentially the trunk. With GG arbs the central leader shoots up vertically. The growth is quick. But the branches aren't thick in that area.

If you are going to let them get to full height you don't have to mess with them. Just let them grow.

Cutting the center leader is like cutting grass. It encourages it to spread wider.

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm

The central leader is the main branch in a tree structure. Letting a tree develop multiple leader branches can compromise the structure of the tree and lead to splitting. More info on proper pruning here.

In some cases it is desirable to have multiple leaders, i.e., fruit trees in orchards are typically pruned to have multiple leaders. It increases the productivity of the tree and protects against losing entire trees from disease.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

adgattoni wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm
The central leader is the main branch in a tree structure. Letting a tree develop multiple leader branches can compromise the structure of the tree and lead to splitting. More info on proper pruning here.

In some cases it is desirable to have multiple leaders, i.e., fruit trees in orchards are typically pruned to have multiple leaders. It increases the productivity of the tree and protects against losing entire trees from disease.
adgattoni, thanks very much for the further explanation and the link. I don't anticipate doing much in the way of pruning/trimming, but I still intend to read about it. Like I said at the outset: I'm brand new to all of this. :thumbup:

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Babaganoosh wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am
The center leader is essentially the trunk. With GG arbs the central leader shoots up vertically. The growth is quick. But the branches aren't thick in that area.

If you are going to let them get to full height you don't have to mess with them. Just let them grow.

Cutting the center leader is like cutting grass. It encourages it to spread wider.
Babaganoosh, thanks for the education. Being new to all of this, I'm very appreciative for the help. And, yeah...did not know that about grass. (Wish someone would tell my grass that....)