Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
LawnMan247
Grass Type: Bermuda/Kentucky Blue Grass
Lawn Size: 3000-4000sq. Ft
Mower: John Deere

Wet/Muddy Lawn

Post by LawnMan247 »

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right subforum to post this on. And if this topic has been discussed elsewhere feel free to link it, thanks!

So I live in upstate New York in a somewhat rural area and my lawn is constantly soaked in the summer for days after it rains only for a couple hours. Even when it's 90 degree sunny weather after it rains. I have done everything I can think of, I tilled my entire yard to airrate the soil last year and replanted grass and that helped but towards the end it went back to the way it was. Its a fenced in yard about 3000sq ft. I'd rather not re-till every year, I have a German Shepherd and I hate to keep him off of the lawn for 2 weeks while it grows.

Any tips to help with this problem? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LawnMan247 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

EFitz
Grass Type: TTTF, Fine Fescue, & KBG
Lawn Size: 1850 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217

Re: Wet/Muddy Lawn

Post by EFitz »

I just bought my house last summer and fought a similar issue in a shaded area. I'm pretty new to all this but from what I can find a wetting agent could be applied to help pull water down through the soil. I don't have any actual real world experience with it, but that is what I'm going to try this year.

Here is a post about it, check out page 2 and 3 for some pretty amazing photos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=208

This is also a cool video showing how well it works.

I could be completely wrong and if so hopefully the internet will do its thing and correct me, but I hope this helps you out!
Last edited by EFitz on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_h
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 sq ft
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Re: Wet/Muddy Lawn

Post by sean_h »

May need a French drain or dry well in the area.
TTTF Zone 6B
St. Louis, MO

https://instagram.com/seans.midwest.lawn