Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
Thor865
Grass Type: Tifgrand / Champion PRG
Lawn Size: 6,000 sqft
Mower: JD / Toro

Small bed ideas

Post by Thor865 »

Hey I was looking for some ideas on my small landscape bed in the front. It really is an eye sore to me. These bushes are original from builder and they never did real well. I was going to rip all 3 bushes out and trash them. Was going to replace them with maybe 3 or 4 boxwoods and random annuals in between for color. I am open to other ideas as well. I just don’t know what to look for at the stores for what would work or look good.

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Re: Small bed ideas

Post by gm560 »

Boxwoods are always a safe bet. I put in some "sprinter" boxwoods last year as an evergreen hedge with some hydrangeas behind them. Azaleas may be a good option for you if you want an evergreen that flowers. I have never had much success with them, bc I think it gets just a little bit too cold up here, but you might not have the same issue. Every time I watch the masters in April, I wish I had some.

Whatever you decide, pay close attention to the tag. Would be a mistake to put something in there that wants to get huge.
Last edited by gm560 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

gm560 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Boxwoods are always a safe bet. I put in some "sprinter" boxwoods last year as an evergreen hedge with some hydrangeas behind them. Azaleas may be a good option for you if you want an evergreen that flowers. I have never had much success with them, bc I think it gets just a little bit too cold up here, but you might not have the same issue. Every time I watch the masters in April, I wish I had some.

Whatever you decide, pay close attention to the tag. Would be a mistake to put something in there that wants to get huge.
Boxwoods and hydrangeas? Your talking my language haha. I got wee white hydrangeas last year and I really like them. Also have green mountain boxwoods as small hedges around the front yard.

Both plants are easy to care for and don’t need a ton of pruning.

I like the espoma fertilizer for them. Plant tone for the boxwood and I hear holly tone is best for hydrangeas.

Topic Author
Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

SNOWBOB11 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am
gm560 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Boxwoods and hydrangeas? Your talking my language haha. I got wee white hydrangeas last year and I really like them. Also have green mountain boxwoods as small hedges around the front yard.

Both plants are easy to care for and don’t need a ton of pruning.

I like the espoma fertilizer for them. Plant tone for the boxwood and I hear holly tone is best for hydrangeas.
thank you both for the ideas. I know 0 about landscape type plants or what goes good together. ill have a look for those once I re do it in a month or so.

uts
Grass Type: Contractor blend cool season
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Toro timecutter 14-38z

Post by uts »

I second the boxwood idea also becuade of different shapes that you might be able to do with. I planted them as a privacy hedge to shield us from the road in front of our house especially in the winter when we loose the foliage from the trees. It provides a great low cost, low maintainence option - will make it into a 4-5ft screen that is easy to prune.

I also used hydrangeas for a smaller screen next to our patio because I would love the flowering there and will be able to work on it more if needed.

Topic Author
Thor865

Post by Thor865 »

@gm560 @SNOWBOB11 @uts

Just wanted to thank ya again and let y’all know what we went with. Planted 3 new dwarf boxwoods and some flowers in between. Added some flowers to the side bed as well.

uts
Grass Type: Contractor blend cool season
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Toro timecutter 14-38z

Post by uts »

Looks great!

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

Looks really good. :thumbup:

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 »

Looking great! Few things more rewarding than a freshly completed landscaping project!

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 »

Btw, your lawn looks on point too!