Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
Spencer7508
Grass Type: Frescue
Lawn Size: 9600sf
Mower: Toro

Big paver patio project

Post by Spencer7508 »

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to share my project and the progress as it goes.

I currently have a wood deck that it much too small. About 8' x 10'. It's big enough for a grill and smoker. No seating really. I though about building a new bigger deck but decided a paver patio would go better with the current landscaping I have

I'm doing a sienna paver patio with a bench, fire pit, water feature and pillars. I will also have a spot for my pellet grill, smoker and patio furniture. I will have a retaining wall around the patio with steps going out in to the yard. I will extend the patio with a 4' walk way to the side gate of the house.

I have 2 sun rooms that extend the full length of the house. One is more of a sitting/gym/ tv room and the other one is more of a hot tub room with walk out double doors.

I started by removing the sprinkler box and relocating it out in the yard. The old location was right as you step out of the double doors. I've had problems with sprinkler lines freezing in the winter so I decided to relocate the box and got all of the lines relocated so they don't go under the patio. The last thing I want to do is dig up a finished patio to fix a leaking line.

I'm currently working on digging the trench of the retaining wall. I have laid some blocks down on the side of the house. There was a poor excuse for a retaining wall attempt by the last owners. They just set the blocks on the ground. As you can imagine these moved all over the place and looked horrid. I'm reusing the block they had as my row I'm burying.

I ordered all the materials on Monday and they should be here next week. About 10 pallets worth. I will also need to bring in 10 yards of crushed concrete and about 2 yards of sand.

These are the prints and pictures. The 3d model is an old revision but the 2d print is a final drawing.

Thanks for the add guys

nikmasteed
Grass Type: TTTF w/ some KBG/PR mixed in
Lawn Size: 10,000 sf
Mower: TroyBilt

Re: Big paver patio project

Post by nikmasteed »

Looks like it will be a nice improvement and enjoyable space, keep sharing! Good luck with the project

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

That will be very nice.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: Award, Solar Eclipse, Moonlight, Prosperity
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Got a few retaining wall blacks done today. I always dread doing this part

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Deck is gone. About done with retaining wall FirstRow. going to pick up some three-quarter inch Rock for the backside of the retaining wall and we'll run drains. Will start leveling after that

nnnnnate
Grass Type: KGB mix
Lawn Size: 3500 sqft
Mower: Honda HRR2163VXA

Post by nnnnnate »

That looks like a real nice project and I'm glad you're trying to do things the right way.

Keep the updates coming!

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

Looks like you may need some fill to get that level. You want to make sure it is well compacted under the fire pit and outdoor kitchen/bar so they don't settle.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: Award, Solar Eclipse, Moonlight, Prosperity
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

I'm hoping I won't have to bring in extra dirt. I need to pull some dirt from up top so I might actually end up with extra. I'm attaching a picture of how much lower the current dirt is below the top of what the pavers will be. I need the top surface of the dirt to be 9 3/4 below where the top of pavers will be. 6 inches of crushed concrete, 1 inch of sand and 2-3/4 for the paver

I planned on renting a 4000 pound plate compactor to do the dirt and crushed concrete. I'll rent a smaller one to do the paver locking sand when finished

I won't need it for a while but Im picking up the duraweb geotextile tomorrow. They've been out for a while.

I'm about 15 feet away from being done with the first layer of retaining wall. This will work out about perfect for picking up rock on Saturday. Also works out perfect having the 300 PC's of retaining wall block showing up on Saturday as well.

Should be leveling dirt by Monday but before that I need to bury drains for gutters. It's a slow process only having a couple hours in the evenings, Saturdays and Sundays since I work 8-5 m-f

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

Neat project. Did you consider any cushioned deep seating options instead of the bench? It will look nice, but I would be concerned about comfort. I have some OW Lee swivel rockers that I can fall asleep in if I'm not careful. :lol:

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

I was so back and forth. I do plan on buying swivel chairs with a table. The bench is for more of a sports watching parties and family get-togethers. If it's just a few of us there is plenty of room to sit in the swivel chairs

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

Makes sense. Anxious to see the finished product!

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

It was a very productive weekend. I got about half of the order delivered on Saturday.

Got most of the retaining wall up. Just need to do a little at the end but I need to leave that open for bringing rock in

I started on the stairs and got most of them done. Just need one more brick on the top step and 2 on the bottom corners. Ran out of daylight

Working on leveling dirt this week after I bring another ton of crushed limestone for backing the retaining wall a little higher

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Done with retaining wall rock. Ended up using alot more than I thought. Around 3 yards worth

Started tilling dirt tonight. Need to go rent a plate compactor. Debating on what size I should rent. Will get that packed down then on to hauling crushed concrete. I have 10 yards of crushed concrete coming on friday

Uptain-Matt
Grass Type: Bermuda/Zoysia
Lawn Size: 40k sq ft
Mower: Cub Cadet 1042 ltx

Post by Uptain-Matt »

Looks cool. Looking forward to seeing end result.

Bermuda_Triangle
Lawn Size: 14000
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Post by Bermuda_Triangle »

Impressive project. @Spencer7508 are you an architect by trade?

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

No, I work in a engineering department at a metal custom fab company. I went to school for drafting and toolmaking. I've had about 10 years experience with AutoCAD and solid works. I enjoy drawning stuff like this and with slow down with covid it all started with just making a drawing to see what it would look like but I liked it so much I thought I'd give it a shot

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Another long weekend. Rented a compactor Friday and ended up putting 16 hours on it in 2 days. Got all the dirt compacted and tested it to make sure it was good enough.

Had 10 yards of crushed concrete delivered saturday and moved 9.5 of it by shovels and wheelbarrow. Installed drains along the way.

Next step is filling in low spots and doing a final leveling. Special order of block is delayed due to covid. Might be at a stand still for a couple days

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Decided to put cement pads in user the heavy things while I don't have the crushed concrete up to the final leveling. Bench seating, pillars, fire pit and water feature. I was having second thoughts about all those things settling over time. Started putting forms in tonight. Will pour concrete saturday

M32075
Grass Type: Ft prg. Bk zoysia cool season
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Craftsman rotary

Post by M32075 »

Looks great. Good idea putting in the cement long term it will hold up
Front Hancock PRG ,summer tall fescue mix. Backyard zoysia and cool season mix.

Topic Author
Spencer7508

Post by Spencer7508 »

Got concrete in on Saturday. Figured up I'd need .85 yards of concrete so I ordered 1 yard. I was short .15 yards. Think they shorted me. Will need to get more but atleast got the bench pillars and water feature poured

Got all the caps pit of the wall tonight. Won't glue them down till the end

The rest of my order is coming Thursday and will start building the bench, pillars and water feature