Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
Cdub5_
Grass Type: Front:Bermuda/BackSPF30Midnght
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: SuperRecycler/Earthwise

Want a Tropical Theme in my Okla. Backyard

Post by Cdub5_ »

I'm starting to expand my horizons going from grass only to venturing to the new frontier of landscaping :mrgreen:

I've pretty much totally neglected much of my landscaping, just kinda trimmed it here and there to keep it nice looking. Now, I've developed the itch to really change things up. I live in Oklahoma and I have a nice pool/hot tub in the back yard and I've always wanted a tropical themed back yard.

The other day in one of the more recent posts I saw someone talk about their Sago Palm and that reignited my interest. A Sago Palm is exactly the kind of look I am going for.

Can anyone recommend anything at all plant/shrub/lawn decor etc. to give me that tropical feel? If any of you have done what I'm wanting to do I'd really like to see some pics to give me an idea.

I appreciate your help!
Bermuda to SPF-30 Hybrid Bluegrass Reno Journal
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22321

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Re: Want a Tropical Theme in my Okla. Backyard

Post by Ware »

Hardiness would be my biggest concern. Winter Storm Uri smoked at least $500 worth of shrubs in my yard - stuff I thought would be fine here in Arkansas.

daganh62
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000 Front/7500 Back
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1

Post by daganh62 »

Cdub5_ wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 pm
I'm starting to expand my horizons going from grass only to venturing to the new frontier of landscaping :mrgreen:

I've pretty much totally neglected much of my landscaping, just kinda trimmed it here and there to keep it nice looking. Now, I've developed the itch to really change things up. I live in Oklahoma and I have a nice pool/hot tub in the back yard and I've always wanted a tropical themed back yard.

The other day in one of the more recent posts I saw someone talk about their Sago Palm and that reignited my interest. A Sago Palm is exactly the kind of look I am going for.

Can anyone recommend anything at all plant/shrub/lawn decor etc. to give me that tropical feel? If any of you have done what I'm wanting to do I'd really like to see some pics to give me an idea.

I appreciate your help!
What's your zone and sun status?

Topic Author
Cdub5_
Grass Type: Front:Bermuda/BackSPF30Midnght
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: SuperRecycler/Earthwise

Post by Cdub5_ »

@Ware yeah you are right that is the biggest concern.

@daganh62 I'm in zone 7a. The east half of my yard gets full sun and the west half gets full sun until 3pm then filtered from then on.
Bermuda to SPF-30 Hybrid Bluegrass Reno Journal
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22321

daganh62
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000 Front/7500 Back
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1

Post by daganh62 »

You can do hibiscus, elephant ear, caladiums, lillies and yucas. There is a lot out there for full a partial sun.

nsh50a
Grass Type: bluegrass/TTTF
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by nsh50a »

Just a little north in MO, i use cold hardy bananas as my tropical bedrock (musa basjoo) get 12ft or so each year and cut down each fall, leave the root in the ground and they do just fine. I then build around them with ferns that can stay out and Cana's, Hawaiian Ti, monstera and majesty palms i dig up and overwinter each year.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products