Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
wildneg
Grass Type: TTF KB
Lawn Size: 2.5 Acres
Mower: Apex 60 - 60" Zero Turn

Shrub/Flowerbeds / Pre Emergent

Post by wildneg »

So i usually do it manually, removing weeds in some of the flower beds we have around the house. I have a 300' line of arborvitaes though (In a mulch bed).. and just too much work.

I just put in new landscaping in front by our large picture window (bushes and hydrangeas with 2 yards of mulch) and want to stay ahead of weeding.

So was looking at using preen for it's 'safe to use' on established plants. But not sure how good it'll be and how many weeds it'll actually prevent from sprouting. I started reading and looks like barricade was number one choice?

So I am curious what everyone uses for their flower beds/landscaping beds. Something that won't hurt the bushes, hydrangeas, arborvitaes.... I can reapply every few months and save me from weeding so much.

Preen is pellet form and just water in I believe. Barricade I already buy for the 2 acres of yard. So I can just mix in a smaller sprayer for these areas.

What do you all do?

Topic Author
wildneg
Grass Type: TTF KB
Lawn Size: 2.5 Acres
Mower: Apex 60 - 60" Zero Turn

Re: Shrub/Flowerbeds / Pre Emergent

Post by wildneg »

Anyone? Maybe I will do preen until I can find some notes or posts.

Theycallmemrr
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Cali.Trimr, Toro 1000, JD S240

Post by Theycallmemrr »

I am thinking of using prodiamine and preen since I got for $5 on clearance for my beds. If memory serves me correct hydrangeas are sensitive. But reread the label to be sure.

Cluelessone
Grass Type: Cool season blend
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Deere rider, Ego push

Post by Cluelessone »

Any chance you could weed fabric that area? 300' sounds like a lot of chemical, and you'll be stuck weeding if you miss the overlap window.

Lust4Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Honda HRX, SunJoe push reel

Post by Lust4Lawn »

I usually just spray the leftover prodiamine in my sprayer into the flower beds after spraying the lawn. If I know I want to cover a lot of square footage I'll mix a little extra to make sure I can cover it correctly.

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

I have a lot of garden beds. I use a heavy layer of mulch and no pre-emergent. I hate weed fabric. It eventually starts to fail and then it is worse than nothing. Removing/replacing it is a huge pain as well. I do overspray my garden beds a bit with the lawn pre-emergent. I can't tell a difference in weed pressure where I spray and where I don't, but I don't get a lot of weeds in the gardens. What little I do get I hand pull.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: After Midnight
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal