Crape Myrtle aphid treatment safe for bees?

Landscaping, trees, shrubs, ornamentals & hardscapes
Topic Author
Michael58
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 6000 sq ft
Mower: John Deere LT155

Crape Myrtle aphid treatment safe for bees?

Post by Michael58 »

I have a few Crape Myrtle's with leaves that are super sticky, which I think is from aphids. In the past I've used the "tree insect drench" which contains Imidacloprid. It worked great, but I'm wondering if there is something better as I've now read that Imidacloprid is very toxic to bees. Or should I not be as concerned as the blooms are now gone for the fall?

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Re: Crape Myrtle aphid treatment safe for bees?

Post by Deadlawn »

I believe insecticidal soap will not hurt bees. It works mechanically by smothering the aphids that are there when you spray it. But be careful with commercial brands as they may have other ingredients that may be toxic. You best bet is a homemade version which is a solution with dish soap. Google it and you will find many recipes for this. The caution here is to never make it more concentrated than the recipe or it could kill the plants.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

harmonjw
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 12,500 sq ft
Mower: 2020 Honda HRX 21"

Post by harmonjw »

Bayer makes a systemic insecticide that I have had good luck to treat the same problem in my crape myrtle. I usually treat it at the first of spring once the leaves have started to bud or just after, but before it flowers.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Post by Deadlawn »

harmonjw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm
Bayer makes a systemic insecticide that I have had good luck to treat the same problem in my crape myrtle. I usually treat it at the first of spring once the leaves have started to bud or just after, but before it flowers.
Systemic pesticides will be toxic to any pollinators that use these plants. I would avoid systemic pesticides. Neonicotinoids are especially toxic.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

mowww
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: A few

Post by mowww »

Veltyma is safe on bees but great for aphid control.