Lawn Care Forum banner

Japanese Red Leaf Maple tree

18K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ceriano 
#1 ·
I planted this young Japanese Red Leaf Maple tree this early Fall/Autumn.

I love the colored red leafs that it sprouts.

I hope that it takes off and grows significantly and survives the winter(s) and extremely hot summers down here in South Central TX.

Only time will tell.

See less See more
#4 ·
Mr Lawn said:
Deadlawn said:
Just be sure to protect the trunk from mice and rabbits which can chew the bark and kill the tree.
Thanks and I appreciate the tip ! :thumbup:
Another thing I should mention is to remove the trunk protection during the growing season, so the trunk doesn't hold moisture and lead to diseases and rot. Mice and rabbits generally only chew bark in the winter when their better food sources are scarce.

#6 ·
Mr Lawn said:
Just be sure to remove the stake relatively soon. I'm assuming that you did it because the root structure is very weak right now, but usually stakes should not be used to prop up young trees. When this happens, it can lead to several tree problems later on because the tree is not forced to grow strong at the trunk.

Anyway, nice Japanese Red Maples are quite a treat for the eyes. I hope yours grows well.

#8 ·
Phids said:
Mr Lawn said:
Just be sure to remove the stake relatively soon. I'm assuming that you did it because the root structure is very weak right now, but usually stakes should not be used to prop up young trees. When this happens, it can lead to several tree problems later on because the tree is not forced to grow strong at the trunk.

Anyway, nice Japanese Red Maples are quite a treat for the eyes. I hope yours grows well.
Thanks so much for the info and tips I really appreciate it and will definitely keep it in mind. :thumbup:

#9 ·
jabopy said:

Ours at the back fence on the drive, this is days before the leaves got blown off in a storm. One of my wife's favourite trees. I do wish I'd kept up with the trimming in its early years.
That Japanese Red Leaf Maple does look exceedingly beautiful! :nod:

Though it's never too late to prune it and give it some shape along with character?

Also, this just being me but I would most definitely remove that green brush, hedge, small tree, etc or whatever that is, that is blocking the complete view of your Japanese Red Leaf Maple?

Just my $0.02 :bandit:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.