Re: FItness, Weightlifting, Bodybuilding

Post by Ecks from Tex » Wed May 23, 2018 10:44 pm

firefighter11 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Ecks from Tex wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am
firefighter11 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 am
Anyone else hitting up a keto lifestyle? I’ve been keto solid since beginning of March. I will probably cycle with it and go back to eating healthy carbs in moderation at some point. My starting weight was 260 and I’m just under 230. Feeling good enough now to really get back into workouts, where as before I had zero energy or motivation. We work out at the fire station doing some workouts by Tom Venuto. It’s basically a uppers/power split with supersets. I wasn’t happy giving up carbs but I do think there is something to be said about carbs/sugar causing health issues. Ideally if I can get back to riding bikes and workout without injury like before I will see under 200lbs.
Best thing I ever did was buy a Peloton Bike and cut sugars. Keto diet is pretty good, but all successful diets have one component and that is a calorie deficit. The specific type of diet is just a question of what fits you and your lifestyle best.

Cycling is an awesome way to get your calorie deficit. I use a Peloton Bike 6 days a week (a few runs thrown in there). The Peloton is pretty legit and I highly recommend it if you can fit it in your budget. I'm riding several hundred miles per month and burning at a minimum 10,000 calories a month, and with the bike it's honestly not that hard . With that kind of exercise, pretty much any diet I do is successful to some degree.
Thats awesome, I hope to either grab a indoor bike and maybe a outdoor bike to ride single track. I’ve got a buddy at work who harassess me religiously to grab a bike lol. He’s pretty serious about it. I figure I lost 30lbs with no exercise at all. If I can stay strong on the diet and then start incorporating exercise I can lose another 30. I will look into the peloton, although I honestly haven’t heard of them.
If you want to put your diet into overdrive get a spin bike. Do the outdoor bike when you have met your goals and feel like you are ready to do 50+ mile rides. You’ve got so many choices for indoor bikes, but after a ton of research I went with the indoor cycle as opposed to an upright bike. This is known as a spin bike and if you put the picture of rich housewives in spin class out of your head this is head to toe the best and most efficient way to burn over 500 calories a day and build serious strength and overall fitness.

Within that category I looked at a number of bikes like the Flywheel, Soul Cycle, and the Peloton. I settled on the Peloton because it is the best and really has some huge perks to using it. It is a connected bike with a 20 inch flat screen that offers live and on-demand spin classes with a wide range of instructors. I take a type of cardio class called Power Zone Endurance with a guy named Matt Wilpers, who is a professional cyclist, marathon runner coach, and Ironman competitor. The Peloton bike is very data driven; it records your heart rate and your total output (watts) generated among other data for each exercise. It compiles this data into charts and tracks your progress monthly so you have one of the most detailed and comprehensive overviews of your fitness progression available. I can tell you how many miles I’ve ridden down to the foot, how many calories I’ve burned, how many units of energy or “output” I’ve generated, how fast I ride and at what resistance. All of this data helps me set achievable goals that maximize my returns in weight loss and strength building. It really is phenomenal. I probably lost 25 lbs the first 40 days. The classes are very addicting, and the other benefit is that my wife uses it all the time too so it was an easy purchase. And it’s of course from the comfort of your home.

That being said there are other comparable spin bikes. None quite like the Peloton, but still great options. I’m happy to give you some links if you’re interested in researching.

The one thing I suggest is get a bike with a magnetic flywheel. They are dead silent. The only noise I make on the peloton is my breathing and the audio through my earbuds. Mechanically the bike is quiet.

The big downside to the peloton is that it is expensive as hell. It will set you back over $2,500. I haven’t regretted it in the slightest and I have seen results big time.

PHXCobra
Grass Type: Bermuda, Perrenial Rye
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: Troy-Built TB110

Post by PHXCobra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Started keto last Thursday. I weighed myself and was 238 (going the wrong direction). It's those $0.49 ice cream cones at QT that were getting me, so I decided to give keto a try. As of this morning I was 234, have no idea if I'm in ketosis but I still feel fine. To this point no changes in how my workouts have gone, massive headahces, or withdrawals. I don't even have any cravings for sugar but have had to catch myself from eating my kids left over French fries a couple times. The goal is 210ish, we'll see.

Rackhouse Mayor
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Kubota Z122R

Post by Rackhouse Mayor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 am

If anyone is interested in a good read I recommend The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. I just finished it on audible a few weeks ago. It helped me understand why diets are "temporarily" successful often times. All these years I thought diets were about cutting calories, but recent research suggests it's about insulin levels. That would explain why diets like keto work. It's not an exciting read but it's informative.

firefighter11

Post by firefighter11 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 pm

PHXCobra wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm
Started keto last Thursday. I weighed myself and was 238 (going the wrong direction). It's those $0.49 ice cream cones at QT that were getting me, so I decided to give keto a try. As of this morning I was 234, have no idea if I'm in ketosis but I still feel fine. To this point no changes in how my workouts have gone, massive headahces, or withdrawals. I don't even have any cravings for sugar but have had to catch myself from eating my kids left over French fries a couple times. The goal is 210ish, we'll see.
Ketone strips will work in the beginning of ketosis I’ve found but not after being in it awhile. It usually takes me around 3-4 days of 20 net carbs or less to get to into keto. I dropped 264-228 in about 3 months doing lazy keto. I tried to average under 30 was my goal. I’ll pick it back up as I feel I have better results cycling carbs. Only physical sign I could tell when I was in ketosis was sweating at the drop of a hat.
Good luck, if you need guidance Reddit has some sweet guides and how to’s for meal planning

thegrassfactor
Grass Type: Fescue, Bermuda
Lawn Size: 26000
Mower: Kubota

Post by thegrassfactor » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

In the vein of fitness, has anyone ever dealt with hip injuries? Moreso, physical therapy success stories relating to hip injuries?

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am

firefighter11 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 pm
PHXCobra wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm
Ketone strips will work in the beginning of ketosis I’ve found but not after being in it awhile. It usually takes me around 3-4 days of 20 net carbs or less to get to into keto. I dropped 264-228 in about 3 months doing lazy keto. I tried to average under 30 was my goal. I’ll pick it back up as I feel I have better results cycling carbs. Only physical sign I could tell when I was in ketosis was sweating at the drop of a hat.
Good luck, if you need guidance Reddit has some sweet guides and how to’s for meal planning
My wife and I are doing a modified keto through a metabolic weight loss clinic in town. It has really made a huge difference. I went from 262 down to current 213 in about 3.5 months. The first week was rough. I thought I was going to pass out about 3 times the first time I mowed the lawn but since then I feel great. Just had my 3 month blood work done. Waiting on those results. But every physical measurement improved from resting metabolism to bmi to fat percentage. Lost a little muscle and bone density but that is expected.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Stellar P
Grass Type: St Aug 90%/Bermuda 10% Mix
Lawn Size: Ft: 4500 Bk: 5000
Mower: Toro 22" Recycler - Rotary

Post by Stellar P » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 am

TN Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am
Lost a little muscle and bone density but that is expected.
Introduce a little weight/resistance training. That'll reduce the done density loss. :thumbup: on the (-49.0) lb. progress. Keep up the good work! You can do it! Make progress every day and stay mentally hungry while you're physically hungry.
thegrassfactor wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am
In the vein of fitness, has anyone ever dealt with hip injuries? Moreso, physical therapy success stories relating to hip injuries?
I've recently had some hip problems because my increased sitting from my commute, years of lower body work and having tight glutes. My femur externally rotates anytime I sit down (man-spreading). I've had a lot of success with stretching out my glutes and doing myofascial release on my IT band. A lot less uncomfortable periods when sitting for a while. Had a hip flexor injury a few years ago that only time off would fix. No issues since taking a month off.

EDIT: combined posts.
Last edited by Stellar P on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

herrybraun
Grass Type: nut grass
Lawn Size: 10/10 feet
Mower: no

Post by herrybraun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 am

I am also going with keto and carb to get my pack more strong than actual size. Like this conversation with useful comments.

LawnNeighborSam
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 6,000 ft²
Mower: Lawn-Boy 10641

Post by LawnNeighborSam » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 am

I used to weight lift a lot. And by a lot I mean for at least 15 years. I just got burnt out on all that type of training and now just opt for an active lifestyle doing things to keep me moving most of the week. Things like manual yard work: shoveling, rigorous raking, projects, occasional running outdoors or on the treadmill in the basement and putting myself through 30-45 minute circuits with lighter weights/medicine balls/resistance bands
Last edited by LawnNeighborSam on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Neighbors I'm Your Lawn Neighbor Sam

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 pm

LawnNeighborSam wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 am
I used to weight lift a lot. And by a lot I mean for at least 15 years. I just got burnt out on all that type of training and now just opt for an active lifestyle doing things to keep me moving most of the week. Things like manual yard work: shoveling, rigorous raking, projects, occasional running outdoors or on the treadmill in the basement and putting myself through 30-45 minute circuits with lighter weights/medicine balls/resistance bands
Ditto, it used to be big focus ....still lift but only every other day. When I read those doing 3 on, 1 off....you're gonna burn out (mentally) and probably not getting enough recovery time. You're not in your 20s and unless you claim "low -t" (and have a script) ....don't follow the pros routine

PHXCobra
Grass Type: Bermuda, Perrenial Rye
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: Troy-Built TB110

Post by PHXCobra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm down to 220.6 this morning doing keto most of the time. I've fallen off the wagon a few times and given in to some of my cravings. Have noticed a slight drop in performance and missing that extra gear when going for intensity on my workouts but I'm pushing through it. Have a buddy getting married in early may and I'd like to be around 200lbs for that.

Also been doing the Layne Norton PHAT program and enjoying that a lot.

gijoe4500
Grass Type: Celebration / Emerald Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1250ish / 650ish
Mower: 7 blade McLane 20"

Post by gijoe4500 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:46 pm

I dropped 17 lbs in 3 weeks on keto. I'm in a bit of a stall. I've been stuck at 230-231 lbs for a week now. No big deal though. I'm sure things will improve. I need to do some more cycling. Either MTB or my road bike. But work and family has kept me from being able to do that lately. I have an el cheapo indoor trainer I can put my road bike on, and may end up doing that, just to get in some sort of pedaling.

Goal is sub 215 by Jan 31. Sub 200 by May 1.

OD on Grass
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,000sq fr
Mower: Tru Cut H20

Post by OD on Grass » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:57 pm

PHXCobra wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 pm
Anybody else enjoy picking up heavy things and setting them back down again?

Had never lifted weight until high school and didn’t like it all that much then probably because it was required. (lawn care as a kid/teenager anyone?). Thoroughly enjoy the gym 5-6 days a week with a couple runs and Softball mixed in. I have 2 young children so I have to go before everyone is up.

Started this time as a 5’10” 272lb fat @ss. Currently sitting at 235lbs and have a decent amount of fat left to lose but I’m a lot stronger than I’ve ever been.
Glad to see other lawn lovers who like to get to the gym! I'm in the 5am crew. 2 little ones also. I love talking about all things weight lifting. Sorry if I'm a bit behind. I've rotated between bodybuilding and powerlifting splits with a sort of hybrid thing going on right now but nursing a bit of a back injury atm. Only powerlifting meet early 2018 totals were S407, B307, and D485. More recently squat up to 425, and bench to 325. 30years old 6'0" 205lb Tried 5/3/1, smolov and many others. As I'm getting older I'm starting to realize that the goal needs to be more about health and longevity even though the ego tells me I can still lift heavy if I really want to haha. Hope this discussion keeps rolling!
Look at Behemoth,
Job 40:15-24

The Lawn Tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYWh9e ... wTRZj5hVDA

Pest and Lawn Ginja
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Honda

Post by Pest and Lawn Ginja » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm a bit of a gym equipment hoarder. I lift by osmosis. I may have a sickness hahahaha.

OD on Grass
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,000sq fr
Mower: Tru Cut H20

Post by OD on Grass » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 am

Pest and Lawn Ginja wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 pm
I'm a bit of a gym equipment hoarder. I lift by osmosis. I may have a sickness hahahaha.

Wow! Awesome rig!
Look at Behemoth,
Job 40:15-24

The Lawn Tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYWh9e ... wTRZj5hVDA

Pest and Lawn Ginja
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Honda

Post by Pest and Lawn Ginja » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks! It's been the most used piece of furniture we've ever owned

iFisch3224
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Post by iFisch3224 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:35 pm

6’3, 270lbs. Thick frame, played sports and had college offers for football 🏈 before injuries took over.

Now 31, with 4 pinched nerves and 2 herniated discs.

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: KBG/Rye with a little fescue
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: 20" EGO Brushless, Steel Deck

Post by NoslracNevok » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I've tried Intermittent fasting (24 hour periods, only eating dinners), it works great. I'm currently doing the same routine as @PHXCobra Back/Bi, Chest/Tri, Legs, then fast on day 4. Of course it usually doesn't work out this neat, there's day long breaks each week with two little boys and a busy wife, but that's the goal none the less. 5'10" 175, my body fat hovers around 15%, would be better if I cut out my beer or two a night ;)
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.