How you relax when the work is done
kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Re: Home Automation

Post by kds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm

NewLawnJon wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Anyone other than me using HomeKit for automation?

At the moment I have 3 AppleTvs and a HomePod acting as hubs with a wireless mesh system so I can have good connectivity to all my lights, locks, thermostats, and other devices.
I have some HomeKit things, mostly my ecobee and a ceiling fan. I'd like to do more, but it seems everyone is developing products for Alexa and Google and HomeKit is getting left behind.

I have some things on my Wink hub that I'd like to expose via Homebridge (smoke detectors and Schlage locks). I tried installing it on Windows but I gave up. I plan on putting it on a Raspberry Pi eventually.

Going forward, I think anything I introduce to my smart home will have to be compatible with HomeKit (or Homebridge), Wink, and/or SmartThings. I'm afraid HomeKit is going to be too far behind to catch back up.
Last edited by kds on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:51 am

AM I the only one running Insteon? Incredibly reliable technology. No Wifi - both RF and home wiring are used to communicate (each device is a repeater), but the hardware is a little flimsy and expensive in my opinion. I have 50+ devices.

NewLawnJon
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 13,000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Post by NewLawnJon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am

kds wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm
I have some HomeKit things, mostly my ecobee and a ceiling fan. I'd like to do more, but it seems everyone is developing products for Alexa and Google and HomeKit is getting left behind.

I have some things on my Wink hub that I'd like to expose via Homebridge (smoke detectors and Schlage locks). I tried installing it on Windows but I gave up. I plan on putting it on a Raspberry Pi eventually.

Going forward, I think anything I introduce to my smart home will have to be compatible with HomeKit (or Homebridge), Wink, and/or SmartThings. I'm afraid HomeKit is going to be too far behind to catch back up.
I agree that it looks like HomeKit is behind compared to Google/Alexa platforms, but at the same time most of the products exclusive to those platforms are made by Google/Amazon.

I am hoping that Apple starts to manufacture their own pieces as I would like to see a HomeKit compatible doorbell. My biggest concern with smart home technology is that many of them use hubs with proprietary technology that gets bought and then the hubs get disabled (Revolv is an example of this).

unclebucks06
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Tru Cut / Scag Zero Turn

Post by unclebucks06 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

monty wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 am
kds wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 pm
I'm interested to hear what others are doing with their setup.
Getting all of these devices to work together in ways that require less operation from you is when you take it to the next level. That is where Home Assistant shines.

Here are a few examples:
  • When my garage motion light is triggered,
    it also turns on the light above my door for 5 minutes allowing me to see to unlock and open the door.
  • House automatically triggers "sleep mode"(changes to temperature, but could include turning off lights and locking doors) at 11pm. However, if I plug my phone in, while I'm at home, after 9pm, and my phone is face down, sleep mode will trigger at that time
  • Rachio can activate if smoke detectors alarm
  • Lights dim in TV room when a video is played over the Chromecast
  • Google home reminds me to take out the trash on trash day, but only if I'm home.
  • If temperature in baby room is different than thermostat set point by 3 degrees, adjust thermostat
Smartthings can do that as well.

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Swardman +Toro TimeMaster 30"

Post by Austinite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I use Google Home for automation. It manages...

- All Lights (Phillips Hue color bulbs and various LED accent lighting)
- Door Locks (locks and gives status of each door)
- Window and door sensors. (gives open/closed status)
- Refrigerator (Tells me if door is left open and can display inside cameras on any TV)
- Alarm System (arm only and gives status)
- A/C Units (Change mode, fan on/off, change temp)
- Nest Cameras (Can display any of my 11 cameras on any TV)
- Garage Doors (open/close/status)
- TV's (turns on/off, pause & play, play specific show using specific service, controls volume, changes channels)
- Music (plays whatever anywhere in the house, controls ONKYO receiver in home theater room also)
- Auto Sync - just say "Sync Philips Hue, or Sync Nest, or Sync everything) so it adapts to any changes I make on other apps.
- Window Shades (this is being installed next month)

I'm trying to find a way to get my RainBird sprinkler system to work with it. have it on wifi but it doesn't communicate with Google.
ImageImageImage

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
I'm trying to find a way to get my RainBird sprinkler system to work with it. have it on wifi but it doesn't communicate with Google.
Switch to Rachio?

Austinite
TLF Supporter

Post by Austinite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Ware wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Switch to Rachio?
That looks awesome, never heard of it. The only thing that I dont like is that its app only, no master controls. But still, very slick.
ImageImageImage

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm
That looks awesome, never heard of it. The only thing that I dont like is that its app only, no master controls. But still, very slick.
There is a big Rachio following here at TLF. Here are a couple threads about them:

Of course once you have a controller that can utilize weather data from your microclimate to make watering decisions, you'll want to invest in your own PWS.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. :lol:

Austinite
TLF Supporter

Post by Austinite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm

excellent. Sounds like a fun spring project! Thanks man!
ImageImageImage

marshtj
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by marshtj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 am

I'm thinking of adding a wifi controller to my Rheem gas water heater. Has anyone used one of these yet? Curious about the functionality and experience.

Shuffinator

Post by Shuffinator » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm

monty wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 am
Anyone else really into home automation? Here is the setup I have.

It is all run off of a $35 raspberry pi running a software called Home Assistant. Home Assistant is an open source automation software that supports a crazy number of products (over 700). Home Assistant is a platform that allows you to control and interconnect all of your different devices all in one program. So I don't have to open one app to change the temperature, and another to turn on the irrigation system.

Devices I currently have setup:
  • Various indoor and outdoor light switches
  • Ceiling fans
  • Two thermostats, one for each zone
  • Temperature, motion, and light sensors
  • Smoke detectors
  • TVs and speakers
  • Family member phones for location and presence detection
  • Rachio irrigation control!!! Just got it so not setup on HA yet
I've got automations setup to control lights and temperature when I'm home, away, or asleep and lots of other stuff too.
My wife and I are closing on our first house next week and I am very interested in HA. I have heard good and bad things on home assistant. I am not a computer nerd by any means, but I know my way around a computer. How user friendly is home assistant for an average joe?

kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Post by kds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm

@Shuffinator I hear it's gotten better. I just upgraded my Synology NAS and it can run Docker so I'm going to give it a go, replacing my Wink hub. I'll be getting my Z-Wave stick later this week... I'll check back in once I get some time to get it going.

Shuffinator

Post by Shuffinator » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm

kds wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm
@Shuffinator I hear it's gotten better. I just upgraded my Synology NAS and it can run Docker so I'm going to give it a go, replacing my Wink hub. I'll be getting my Z-Wave stick later this week... I'll check back in once I get some time to get it going.
Ive been doing some research this evening... just bought a Pi and an SD so Im going to learn a new hobby...

So far I've got a nest thermostat that is staying with the house and im wanting to get some Hue lights so we will see how it all goes.

Austinite
TLF Supporter

Post by Austinite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

Anyone using Google Home with Rachio sprinkler system? I just ordered the rachio 3, and really hoping it works well with Google as it claims.
ImageImageImage

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

@Austinite I have both and smart thing. Rachio just works fine using the app to select zones and duration to each. Ive never being inside the house near a Google home device when I need to trigger the sprinklers.

Hexadecimal 00FF00
Lawn Size: 8681 Square Feet
Mower: Rotary, manual reel

Post by Hexadecimal 00FF00 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Austinite wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am
Anyone using Google Home with Rachio sprinkler system? I just ordered the rachio 3, and really hoping it works well with Google as it claims.
@Austinite

Not sure what that's needed for. The Rachio works very well on its own. The few times I've needed to interface with it I used the [Android] app or the web interface. That's only been a handful of times since I got it in July 2014.

Though to explore functionality I added my Rachio to my Home Assistant.
8681 ft2 of Bermuda
Scotts Turf Builder Edgeguard DLX broadcast spreader
Brinly-Hardy 40" plug aerator
Black and Decker Edge Hog
Stihl FS 56 RC
Troy-bilt rotary
Manual reel
John Deere D130
Rachio Gen 1 16-zone
Solo 475-B Deluxe with dfw_wand

Austinite
TLF Supporter

Post by Austinite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm

@g-man @Hexadecimal 00FF00

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated .
ImageImageImage

mak474
Grass Type: Tall Fescue/Bermuda/KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda 21" Walk Behind

Post by mak474 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 am

Just my Ecobee 4 for now. I have 4 sensors placed throughout the house.
This past winter on a day when we had single digit temps my Ecobee emailed me the following,
"There may be a problem with the Furnace. For the past 2 hours the thermostat has been calling for heat, but the room temperature has decreased by 3.0F."

I had just got to work so I, hopped in the car and headed back home, an hour drive each way btw. Turned out the thermocouple was bad. So I found a supply store that had one in stock, swapped it out and was back to work by 11am lol. It would have been a very cold night had I got home at 6pm to find that out.

We do have a hand full of cameras, Canary and Zmodo.

wafflesngravy
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 13,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Time Cutter

Post by wafflesngravy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:09 pm

I love my ecobee! Best part about it is using the master bedroom sensor only during night mode. I don't have to worry about our nightly exercise heating up the room! :)

My house is pretty automated at this point. Our weekly schedules don't change so I use timers vs geo-location and it works fine for us. I've got some pretty neat stuff setup tho. For example, we have echos through out the house so the bedroom one is the alarm clock. I also have a server that manages the timers on all the switches so it also turns on the bedroom lights with a slow fade on while the alarm is going off. I then have it set to turn on the bathroom lights automatically when it's time to get ready for work. This signals to us that we better get moving. One of the coolest features I have is the bathroom light/fan combo. When the server sees a bathroom light come on it waits 3 minutes, if after 3 mins the light is still on it automatically turns the bathroom exhaust fan on. Then when the light is turned off, it keeps the exhaust fan running for 20 minutes before shutting off. Perfect if you have kids that never turn the fan on when they shower.

Austinite
TLF Supporter

Post by Austinite » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:00 pm

I got Rachio to work on google home by voice command. Works great. Here is a video of my setup...

ImageImageImage