How you relax when the work is done
kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Re: Home Automation

Post by kds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm

NewLawnJon wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Anyone other than me using HomeKit for automation?

At the moment I have 3 AppleTvs and a HomePod acting as hubs with a wireless mesh system so I can have good connectivity to all my lights, locks, thermostats, and other devices.
I have some HomeKit things, mostly my ecobee and a ceiling fan. I'd like to do more, but it seems everyone is developing products for Alexa and Google and HomeKit is getting left behind.

I have some things on my Wink hub that I'd like to expose via Homebridge (smoke detectors and Schlage locks). I tried installing it on Windows but I gave up. I plan on putting it on a Raspberry Pi eventually.

Going forward, I think anything I introduce to my smart home will have to be compatible with HomeKit (or Homebridge), Wink, and/or SmartThings. I'm afraid HomeKit is going to be too far behind to catch back up.
Last edited by kds on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:51 am

AM I the only one running Insteon? Incredibly reliable technology. No Wifi - both RF and home wiring are used to communicate (each device is a repeater), but the hardware is a little flimsy and expensive in my opinion. I have 50+ devices.

NewLawnJon
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 13,000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Post by NewLawnJon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am

kds wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm
I have some HomeKit things, mostly my ecobee and a ceiling fan. I'd like to do more, but it seems everyone is developing products for Alexa and Google and HomeKit is getting left behind.

I have some things on my Wink hub that I'd like to expose via Homebridge (smoke detectors and Schlage locks). I tried installing it on Windows but I gave up. I plan on putting it on a Raspberry Pi eventually.

Going forward, I think anything I introduce to my smart home will have to be compatible with HomeKit (or Homebridge), Wink, and/or SmartThings. I'm afraid HomeKit is going to be too far behind to catch back up.
I agree that it looks like HomeKit is behind compared to Google/Alexa platforms, but at the same time most of the products exclusive to those platforms are made by Google/Amazon.

I am hoping that Apple starts to manufacture their own pieces as I would like to see a HomeKit compatible doorbell. My biggest concern with smart home technology is that many of them use hubs with proprietary technology that gets bought and then the hubs get disabled (Revolv is an example of this).

unclebucks06
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Tru Cut / Scag Zero Turn

Post by unclebucks06 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

monty wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 am
kds wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 pm
I'm interested to hear what others are doing with their setup.
Getting all of these devices to work together in ways that require less operation from you is when you take it to the next level. That is where Home Assistant shines.

Here are a few examples:
  • When my garage motion light is triggered,
    it also turns on the light above my door for 5 minutes allowing me to see to unlock and open the door.
  • House automatically triggers "sleep mode"(changes to temperature, but could include turning off lights and locking doors) at 11pm. However, if I plug my phone in, while I'm at home, after 9pm, and my phone is face down, sleep mode will trigger at that time
  • Rachio can activate if smoke detectors alarm
  • Lights dim in TV room when a video is played over the Chromecast
  • Google home reminds me to take out the trash on trash day, but only if I'm home.
  • If temperature in baby room is different than thermostat set point by 3 degrees, adjust thermostat
Smartthings can do that as well.

Austinite
Grass Type: Lat 36 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Toro Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by Austinite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I use Google Home for automation. It manages...

- All Lights (Phillips Hue color bulbs and various LED accent lighting)
- Door Locks (locks and gives status of each door)
- Window and door sensors. (gives open/closed status)
- Refrigerator (Tells me if door is left open and can display inside cameras on any TV)
- Alarm System (arm only and gives status)
- A/C Units (Change mode, fan on/off, change temp)
- Nest Cameras (Can display any of my 11 cameras on any TV)
- Garage Doors (open/close/status)
- TV's (turns on/off, pause & play, play specific show using specific service, controls volume, changes channels)
- Music (plays whatever anywhere in the house, controls ONKYO receiver in home theater room also)
- Auto Sync - just say "Sync Philips Hue, or Sync Nest, or Sync everything) so it adapts to any changes I make on other apps.
- Window Shades (this is being installed next month)

I'm trying to find a way to get my RainBird sprinkler system to work with it. have it on wifi but it doesn't communicate with Google.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda - Tif 419
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
I'm trying to find a way to get my RainBird sprinkler system to work with it. have it on wifi but it doesn't communicate with Google.
Switch to Rachio?

Austinite

Post by Austinite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Ware wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Switch to Rachio?
That looks awesome, never heard of it. The only thing that I dont like is that its app only, no master controls. But still, very slick.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda - Tif 419
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Austinite wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm
That looks awesome, never heard of it. The only thing that I dont like is that its app only, no master controls. But still, very slick.
There is a big Rachio following here at TLF. Here are a couple threads about them:

Of course once you have a controller that can utilize weather data from your microclimate to make watering decisions, you'll want to invest in your own PWS.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. :lol:

Austinite

Post by Austinite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm

excellent. Sounds like a fun spring project! Thanks man!

marshtj
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by marshtj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 am

I'm thinking of adding a wifi controller to my Rheem gas water heater. Has anyone used one of these yet? Curious about the functionality and experience.