How you relax when the work is done
Cory
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tifway 419 & common
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Toro GM1600

RV’s and Travel Trailers

Post by Cory » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Anyone have an RV or Travel Trailer? We just bought our first one today after looking at getting one for several years. Any tips for a first timer?

It’s a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL. It’s 32’ and 5,904lbs, think it’s too much for my truck. Guess I need to talk the wife into a new truck that’s bigger, gunmetal, and has black rims :lol:

ctrav
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Re: RV’s and Travel Trailers

Post by ctrav » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Cory wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:27 pm
Anyone have an RV or Travel Trailer? We just bought our first one today after looking at getting one for several years. Any tips for a first timer?

It’s a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL. It’s 32’ and 5,904lbs, think it’s too much for my truck. Guess I need to talk the wife into a new truck that’s bigger, gunmetal, and has black rims :lol:
Congrats! Yep a new truck is definitely in order but good luck with that 🤣. I have never owned on but you might want to make wise turns 😎
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

@ctrav Thanks! Wide turns are a must :lol:

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 pm

Wow, win LOTM and get a new travel trailer :lol: Hopefully you didn't get duped into getting a Good Sam's membership from your dealer while you were there. It's considerably less if you go online and buy it yourself (I'm looking at you Camping World). They're shady AF.

The wife and I rented an RV for a week, and later on this month, we're heading up to Vogel State Park, then over to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and a few other parks on the way home. We're looking to try before we buy. I've driven big trucks, and have used RV's before, and I follow a lot of full-time RV'ers on YouTube. If I didn't have my kids living at home with us now, I have NO doubt that my wife and I would be full-time RV'ers. I have a wandering spirit, and I don't like being tied down.

Seriously looking forward to getting a Class C soon. Glad to see that you got a new way to make some good memories! Whatever you do, don't use regular TP in the lavatory. That's bad news. Another thing is that you may want to travel with at least 1/8 of a tank of fresh water, and then fill up close to your destination (if they don't have full hookups). No sense in carrying that extra water weight.
Last edited by Colonel K0rn on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 am

@Colonel K0rn Thanks, guess it was my gift for winning lawn of the month! :lol:

We did get it from Camping World but didn’t pay for any extras except gap insurance since we did no money down. They gave us a year free of Good Sam’s but we didn’t extend it through them, we will continue with it myself later. We didn’t even buy accessories from them, almost everything in the store is more money than buying on Amazon with some items costing over double. The price of the camper was the same as everywhere else that was close enough to go pick it up, they try to get you to buy a lot of add on crap though.

We have been camping a lot in a Class A my in-laws used to own so I’m not a total newbie. They have lived in a fifth wheel for around 2 years now. When I was working remodeling houses I was always towing heavy loads but the longest I’ve towed was a 16’ enclosed trailer so this should be interesting :lol: I didn’t have any problems backing into my narrow driveway from our narrow street so that’s good. It was swaying pretty good on the highway going 65 but I didn’t install the sway bar on the trailer there and the hitch wasn’t set right. They can’t hook up the hitch for you because they don’t want to be liable and I didn’t want to mess with it in the parking lot so the hitch was a couple notches lower than it should have been. But they are only 8 miles from our house so I wasn’t worried about it.

I could live in one for sure just not this one :lol: Once the kids are gone I would probably upgrade to a fifth wheel. I like to to travel but we just to didn’t do it much in the past because of the cat and dog. Between the cost of boarding or pet sitting, travel cost, eating out and hotel costs we never went much because we could never justify spending all the money. Every vacation we ever went on aside from one trip to Disney (that was crazy expensive) was to see family and stay with them. So hopefully we can be more spontaneous now and go wherever we want.
Last edited by Cory on Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DIY Lawn Guy
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Mostly Fescue w/clover patches
Lawn Size: 8000 sq feet
Mower: Toro Super Recycler Toro Rider

Post by DIY Lawn Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am

Congrat's on the really nice RV.

Here is an important consideration about the tow vehicle: Yes, you can pull the trailer with the truck, BUT is your truck capable of STOPPING that trailer when you slam on the brakes or head down a steep mountain grade?

A tow vehicle with large tires, big brakes and a long wheel base will go a long way toward a safe panic stop with your new RV trailer.

I'd want a 3/4 ton truck with a tow package if I had your trailer. Remember, you will be adding a lot of weight as you pack it up to go RV'ing.

I am new to creating an awesome lawn, but I have pulled trailers thousands of times over the years. Not RV trailers, but everything from a 4'x6' utility trailer with a compact SUV to full blown big rig 50' trailers years ago.

Again, the trailer looks awesome, enjoy :thumbup:
Last edited by DIY Lawn Guy on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:08 am

@DIY Lawn Guy Thanks! Yeah, I was joking about the matching truck but not really about getting a bigger truck. It stops pretty good considering, I have a good break controller and the breaks on the the trailer seem pretty good. But it’s definitely pushing the limits of my Titan, it can handle it for a little while but definitely gonna need to upgrade. I was originally thinking about getting a Titan XD but I’m not sure now, I may end up with a Ram 2500.

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug and Bermuda
Lawn Size: 25,000
Mower: Husky 42" Rider

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Be safe.

Saw this happen right in front of me at highway speeds. Trailer started swaying and swaying and swaying...and I thought to myself "is this guy going to be able to save this thing or is going over"...it went over....and took his truck over with it. It was wild to watch.

Shindoman
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: fine fescue/colonial bent
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Dennis FT510

Post by Shindoman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 pm

You need at least a 3/4 ton for that trailer. It’s not the weight, it’s the size.
RVing is a fantastic way for bonding the family. We bought a 40’ toy hauler in
‘06 and starting going dirt biking with the wife and 2 kids. 3 yrs later we upgraded to a 40’ Diesel pusher and an enclosed trailer. We drove over 90K
Miles and saw all of western USA and Canada. It was the best thing ever for our family. Now the kids are finishing high school and are busy with their lives so we are slowly selling it all off. You know you are getting old when you sell your KTM and buy a Dennis! 😂

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm

@Alan yeah, I’ve seen it happen too. But a lot of things could have contributed to that. A lot of people don’t hook up their hitch right. Thrown in stormy weather and you’re asking for trouble. I’ve towed heavy loads before, almost every day for work, just nothing this long.

@Shindoman yeah, it’s pretty long. We just went for our first mini trip. I would definitely like a bigger truck but the Titan handled it like a champ. Having the weight distribution hitch set right and the sway bar installed there wasn’t much movement. I was doing 70 on the freeway no problem.
Shindoman wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 pm
You know you are getting old when you sell your KTM and buy a Dennis! 😂
I’m pretty sure I’ll be doing the opposite when the kids are gone. Downsize and travel is what I would like to do.

Blackshirtproud
Grass Type: Fescue/kbg
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Cub cadet xt1 & craftsman push

Post by Blackshirtproud » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I am in the RV industry (Warranty Manager 12 yrs) for a good sized dealer. Good Sam sucks!! do not waste your money. If anything I would recommend "Route66" or "Protective / NWAN. However, They really only cover major items like appliances for it to pay off. However some people dont feel comfortable w/o a service contract, YMMV.

My one piece of advise is to just keep up on the maintenance. If things gor wrong, it will be within the first year mostly. There is a high "mortality rate" on r.v. parts , and once you past that initial year, you are typically good.

The other key is, just enjoy it, dont sweat the smaller things or it will consume you! I have had owners with a years time bring theirs in 28 times in one year with maybe a handful of legit issues. These people are the worst and I cant imagine they have any fun.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia / Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2,347 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by TulsaFan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Blackshirtproud wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm
I am in the RV industry (Warranty Manager 12 yrs) for a good sized dealer. Good Sam sucks!! do not waste your money. If anything I would recommend "Route66" or "Protective / NWAN. However, They really only cover major items like appliances for it to pay off. However some people dont feel comfortable w/o a service contract, YMMV.

My one piece of advise is to just keep up on the maintenance. If things gor wrong, it will be within the first year mostly. There is a high "mortality rate" on r.v. parts , and once you past that initial year, you are typically good.

The other key is, just enjoy it, dont sweat the smaller things or it will consume you! I have had owners with a years time bring theirs in 28 times in one year with maybe a handful of legit issues. These people are the worst and I cant imagine they have any fun.
I would like to add from personal experience that the greatest deal you can find isn't so great if the dealership doesn't have a service center to stand behind the warranty work. :?
TLF SUPPORTERS: Join the 1% in showing your support for TLF!

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:32 pm

@Blackshirtproud Thanks! I’ll check those out.

I’m definitely not one of those people. Went to turn the battery power off the first night we got it home, the knob broke the first turn. I went back to Camping World and they gave me another knob from another trailer, it broke too. I ordered a new battery disconnect and replaced the original one myself. It’s not worth my time and effort to hook the trailer back up and take it back to the dealer, I’d rather fix it myself unless it’s something that’s gonna cost a lot of money and still under warranty.

Blackshirtproud
Grass Type: Fescue/kbg
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Cub cadet xt1 & craftsman push

Post by Blackshirtproud » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm

TulsaFan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm
Blackshirtproud wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I would like to add from personal experience that the greatest deal you can find isn't so great if the dealership doesn't have a service center to stand behind the warranty work. :?
This is THE most important thing in rvs. The manufacturer already got their money from the dealer!

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Cory wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm
@Alan yeah, I’ve seen it happen too. But a lot of things could have contributed to that. A lot of people don’t hook up their hitch right. Thrown in stormy weather and you’re asking for trouble. I’ve towed heavy loads before, almost every day for work, just nothing this long.

@Shindoman yeah, it’s pretty long. We just went for our first mini trip. I would definitely like a bigger truck but the Titan handled it like a champ. Having the weight distribution hitch set right and the sway bar installed there wasn’t much movement. I was doing 70 on the freeway no problem.
Shindoman wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 pm
You know you are getting old when you sell your KTM and buy a Dennis! 😂
I’m pretty sure I’ll be doing the opposite when the kids are gone. Downsize and travel is what I would like to do.

How did the furry child in the carrier enjoy the trip?
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm

@Cory I follow several RV'ers on YouTube. This couple has been going all over the US in their travel trailer, and they have a great channel. This video will give you some great ideas for things you might need, like those x-chocks and Anderson leveling blocks. Good things to start with.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm

@TN Hawkeye she did pretty good just meowed a lot. She’s only 7 months old so she’ll get used to it. When we got there she slept for a couple hrs under the fire place

@Colonel K0rn I’ve watched a few of their videos. I started watching the Wynns along time ago before they decided to go sailing, I still follow their adventures though. I could drop everything and start sailing around the world tomorrow but my wife not so much :lol: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonewiththewynns

TN Hawkeye

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Cory wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm
@TN Hawkeye she did pretty good just meowed a lot. She’s only 7 months old so she’ll get used to it. When we got there she slept for a couple hrs under the fire place

@Colonel K0rn I’ve watched a few of their videos. I started watching the Wynns along time ago before they decided to go sailing, I still follow their adventures though. I could drop everything and start sailing around the world tomorrow but my wife not so much :lol: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonewiththewynns
Wait... so that’s inside your “travel travel”? It looks better than my house. I don’t need another reason to dislike you other than your yard. :airquote:
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Cory
TLF Supporter

Post by Cory » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

TN Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm
Wait... so that’s inside your “travel travel”?
Yeah, but just like my lawn, it looks better in pictures than in person :lol:
Last edited by Cory on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TN Hawkeye

Post by TN Hawkeye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Cory wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm
TN Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm
Wait... so that’s inside your “travel travel”?
Yeah, but just like my lawn, it looks better in pictures than in person :lol:
I just need to know where the servants sleep when they aren’t makin meals for you and your family.