A good read for stepping back and re-focusing

https://www.elitefts.com/education/you- ... lifter-if/

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: Converting to KBG monostand
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Re: FItness, Weightlifting, Bodybuilding

Post by NoslracNevok » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

What's your favorite work band right now? Amon Amarth for me.( Norse melodic metal)
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

dpainter68
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: In the market

Re: FItness, Weightlifting, Bodybuilding

Post by dpainter68 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am

I try and lift at least 4 days a week. What I've learned over the years is that nutrition is the most important part. The most success I've had was eating clean (i.e. Paleo). I was never hungry and the fat just fell off. I need to start back eating that way but sweet tea and mexican food are my favorites... along with anything sweet :D. One of the better programs I've done is Stronglifts (and/or Starting Strength by Rippetoe). I've tried P90X in the past but wasn't eating enough calories (or maybe I was, but most of it was junk).

In my opinion, if you're wanting to lose weight, building muscle is vital to it. Increasing muscle increases your metabolism. Some people think they need to go do a ton of cardio to lose weight. You will lose weight, but part of that will be muscle. Most people don't eat enough calories to support their muscle then do excessive cardio which leads to their muscle eating away at itself due to the nutrients that are needed aren't found in the fat or food they're eating. I still can't get my wife to understand this. She goes to the gym and does 45 min of cardio then 15 min of weight stuff and doesn't eat anything afterwards. I learned the hard way years ago. Found out I had high cholesterol and my doctor at that time put me on a diet for "heart health" (don't get me started on how screwed up the food pyramid is....) and I started doing more cardio, etc. I lost over 10 lbs and more than an inch in my waist. Had my body fat percentage checked again at my gym and it had went up. After that I started doing more research and trying to find out why. If you're going to do cardio, I recommend doing it after weight training and not before. Doing it before will use up your glycogen stores that your muscles will want for the weight training.
thegrassfactor wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am
In the vein of fitness, has anyone ever dealt with hip injuries? Moreso, physical therapy success stories relating to hip injuries?
I realize this is a very delayed response to your question haha. I've dealt with multiple injuries/pain over the years, primarily in my back/neck (have a few herniated and bulging discs and spinal stenosis in C4-T1). I've also dealt with some hip mobility and shoulder mobility issues. Early on I went to physical therapy for some of the issues and learned some of the primary causes for the issues and can manage most of them now on my own. For anyone who lifts, especially squats, deadlifts, any OH lifts, etc, I would highly recommend checking out PRI (postoral restoration institute) on youtube. Here's a very long video about it and yes, I know it sounds like voodoo (that's what I thought at first), but it's all about the mechanics of your body and it working like it's supposed to. I'm sure you can youtube PRI and find shorter videos.

An example of this is what someone else said in a separate post about hamstrings being tight and finding out it was due to their pelvis. Most people's pelvis is tilted forward, which stretches/lengthens their hamstrings. This represents itself as our hamstrings being tight when in reality if your pelvis was in the correct position it would 'shorten' the hamstring and release some of that tightness. Another good source (once the mechanics of your body is fixed) is SmashWerx on youtube. If you're hurting somewhere particularly just youtube SmashWerx and whatever part of your body that's hurting and there will be countless videos of things you can do. You'll need a lacrosse/massage ball, some bands, maybe a foam roller, etc. It's not comfortable... but it'll only hurt until the pain goes away ;)