Ware's Christmas Lights

How you relax when the work is done
User avatar
kds
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5,171 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by kds » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 pm

This is an awesome write-up! I never would have thought those vampire plugs are used like this. Reminds me of the old add-a-tap stuff.

Ecks from Tex
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 13,000 ft2
Mower: Scag Z-Turn + Toro 30 in

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ecks from Tex » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Hey @Ware I was curious about your 12 in spacing on the lights - I am planning on doing something similar next year and wanted to know if you were pleased with the 12 in spacing on the lights as opposed to perhaps 9 in or 6 in? The 12 in spacing is typically significantly cheaper, and I own from street-to-street so will need to wrap all the way around on a pretty large house, 3 car carport, and attached shop, so I could use the cheaper costs, but I was curious as to your reasoning and whether you regretted not going with smaller spacing

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ware » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Ecks from Tex wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Hey Ware I was curious about your 12 in spacing on the lights - I am planning on doing something similar next year and wanted to know if you were pleased with the 12 in spacing on the lights as opposed to perhaps 9 in or 6 in? The 12 in spacing is typically significantly cheaper, and I own from street-to-street so will need to wrap all the way around on a pretty large house, 3 car carport, and attached shop, so I could use the cheaper costs, but I was curious as to your reasoning and whether you regretted not going with smaller spacing.
I know exactly what you’re saying - 12” spacing just sounds a little too far apart (I struggled with this too), but I don’t think you will be disappointed. These lights are much brighter than the box store strands, so you can get away with the 12” spacing. I think it’s the “standard” for perimeter lighting with empty socket light line. :thumbup:

Ecks from Tex
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 13,000 ft2
Mower: Scag Z-Turn + Toro 30 in

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ecks from Tex » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Ware wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 pm
Ecks from Tex wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Hey Ware I was curious about your 12 in spacing on the lights - I am planning on doing something similar next year and wanted to know if you were pleased with the 12 in spacing on the lights as opposed to perhaps 9 in or 6 in? The 12 in spacing is typically significantly cheaper, and I own from street-to-street so will need to wrap all the way around on a pretty large house, 3 car carport, and attached shop, so I could use the cheaper costs, but I was curious as to your reasoning and whether you regretted not going with smaller spacing.
I know exactly what you’re saying - 12” spacing just sounds a little too far apart (I struggled with this too), but I don’t think you will be disappointed. These lights are much brighter than the box store strands, so you can get away with the 12” spacing. I think it’s the “standard” for perimeter lighting with empty socket light line. :thumbup:
Thanks dude I appreciate your input. I'm going to pull the trigger on 1,000 ft.

To anyone planning to make purchases from the website Ware used, christmasdesigners.com, they have sales and 10% off running intermittently right now, so you could save some $$

Ecks from Tex
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 13,000 ft2
Mower: Scag Z-Turn + Toro 30 in

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ecks from Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

@Ware I had one other question - did you use the coaxial RY plug/commercial grade 5 mm wide angle LED lights for your ornamentals or did you use the standard professional/premium grade 5mm wide angle LED light sets?

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ware » Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Ecks from Tex wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Ware I had one other question - did you use the coaxial RY plug/commercial grade 5 mm wide angle LED lights for your ornamentals or did you use the standard professional/premium grade 5mm wide angle LED light sets?
For the shrubs I ordered the 5mm conicals with standard plugs and strung them together. I don't recall seeing the other option (coaxial plug) when I ordered. It looks like the standard ones are significantly cheaper right now.

Ecks from Tex
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 13,000 ft2
Mower: Scag Z-Turn + Toro 30 in

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ecks from Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Ware wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm
Ecks from Tex wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Ware I had one other question - did you use the coaxial RY plug/commercial grade 5 mm wide angle LED lights for your ornamentals or did you use the standard professional/premium grade 5mm wide angle LED light sets?
For the shrubs I ordered the 5mm conicals with standard plugs and strung them together. I don't recall seeing the other option (coaxial plug) when I ordered. It looks like the standard ones are significantly cheaper right now.
Yep I'm thinking standard since I can get the 70 light string for less than $10. They're not air/water tight but should be fine.

I had been working on a plan. A wrap around of C9 along the visible parts of the house from the street but not the back yard "L". Then 5mm conicals around the windows and in the trees along the shrubs. There are a bunch of waist high azaleas I was going to lay net lighting in on the left side of the diagram.



Image

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ware » Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 pm

10-4, so if I was leaving them up year round the coaxial plugs might make more sense. The standard plugs are basically the same ones as you'll be installing on the empty socket light line (which I would argue are slightly less water tight).

Ecks from Tex
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 13,000 ft2
Mower: Scag Z-Turn + Toro 30 in

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ecks from Tex » Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks dude. I hate putting up Christmas lights so my wife better enjoy this :P

ABC123
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:46 am
Location: MN 4B
Grass Type: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: 220SL GM1000

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by ABC123 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks @Ware for this amazing thread. They sent out a sale email today and used this guide for reference. :thumbup:

10% off non sale items too.

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ware » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 pm

ABC123 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 pm
Thanks Ware for this amazing thread. They sent out a sale email today and used this guide for reference. :thumbup:

10% off non sale items too.
That’s awesome! Glad it was helpful! Post pics when you get them up! :thumbup:

ABC123
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:46 am
Location: MN 4B
Grass Type: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: 220SL GM1000

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by ABC123 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Ware wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 pm
That’s awesome! Glad it was helpful! Post pics when you get them up! :thumbup:
Here you go! :thumbup: The gutter clips were a bit difficult to clip on the housing but so worth how even they look.


Image

User avatar
Colonel K0rn
Posts: 2583
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 am
Location: Rincon, GA (near Savannah)
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm getting my order together now, got the 10% off coupon as well just by visiting the site and signing up for an email.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

LowCountryCharleston
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Charleston, SC
Grass Type: Floratam St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 6000 sq
Mower: Honda

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by LowCountryCharleston » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

Looks fantastic.
Is there an easy way to take the measurements of your roof line, peaks etc in order to get the correct length of lights or do I need to get on the roof with a tape measure and do it that way. I definitely want to do this next season and get the measurements done now so I can take advantage of the post Christmas sales.

Thanks!

JollyGreen
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 8:05 am
Location: Charleston, SC
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: California Trimmer Reel

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by JollyGreen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Go to https://www.eagleview.com/

It’s normally used for residential roofing and takes a satellite measure of your house. I did it when I reroofed my house and used the measurements when ordering my lights. Ended up being perfect.

LowCountryCharleston
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Charleston, SC
Grass Type: Floratam St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 6000 sq
Mower: Honda

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by LowCountryCharleston » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 am

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you remember which report you did? Was is the Gutter Report?
Thanks
Last edited by LowCountryCharleston on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreen
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 8:05 am
Location: Charleston, SC
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: California Trimmer Reel

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by JollyGreen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm

I did the premium. It gives all information and if I remember, it wasn't much more. Page 4 and Page 8 on the report below is what I used.

https://www.eagleview.com/wp-content/up ... rt-Med.pdf

LowCountryCharleston
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Charleston, SC
Grass Type: Floratam St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 6000 sq
Mower: Honda

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by LowCountryCharleston » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:14 pm

JollyGreen wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm
I did the premium. It gives all information and if I remember, it wasn't much more. Page 4 and Page 8 on the report below is what I used.

https://www.eagleview.com/wp-content/up ... rt-Med.pdf
That's a perfect report. I'll have to have one done for next years light display.
Thanks!

walk1355
TLF Supporter
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Madison, AL
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 9500sf
Mower: JD 260SL & honda hrx rotary

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by walk1355 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:38 am

@Ware or anyone else that has done this, I am putting together an order and was getting excited until I added the bulbs. They are over $1 each. Does that sound correct? My $450 project just skyrocketed to $1500 when I added the 1,000 bulbs.

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Ware's Christmas Lights

Post by Ware » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:59 pm

walk1355 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:38 am
Ware or anyone else that has done this, I am putting together an order and was getting excited until I added the bulbs. They are over $1 each. Does that sound correct? My $450 project just skyrocketed to $1500 when I added the 1,000 bulbs.
The LED bulbs aren't cheap. You may be able to shop around.

Code NOV10 is good for 10% off at Christmas Designers.

Post Reply