Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Firearms of TLF

Post by Ware »

Dkrem wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am
.40 seems all but abandoned when FBI jumped back to 9mm, and most other law enforcement quickly followed suit.
Agree.

DFW_Zoysia
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 900
Mower: 2014 Toro Flex 2100

Post by DFW_Zoysia »

I am a certified Glock armorer, AR armorer, and teach classes on the AR and AK at on the of gun clubs here.

I have shot, handled, or owned more firearms than I can even guess at.

When the world ends and it overrun by zombies, I'm taking my Glocks and my AK's!

cesjr86
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda soon
Lawn Size: 4800sqft
Mower: Regular push

Post by cesjr86 »

arrigetch peaks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 am
Did people stop buying .40 cal pistols? Are they not cool anymore? I was at the gun store today and all of 9mm and 45acp was depleted. There was boxes and boxes of .40. I sold my G22 a few years ago to pay for an unforeseen expense and have never replaced it. 9mm is cheaper and until now had been plentiful so there was no need to purchase a .40 cal.
Personally I still shot .40 my Sig 229 is chambered in .40 and it is an excellent pistol

Topic Author
dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 6,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Tax Stamp(s) Tuesday

Post by dfw_pilot »

The ATF has been good to me the last couple weeks (Or maybe it's me who's been good to the ATF?).

I'm behind on buying things like optics because I've been focused on acquiring the guns themselves as a first priority. I also probably should have put the mount for the FDE TranQuilo on the FDE gun, which is my TLF Lower in .300 BLK with slightly non-matching MI BCG, haha. Oh well. :evil:

All three SBR's were approved in ~ 30 days and these cans were only in jail for ~ 4.5 months, so if you're on the fence: do it. :bandit:
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

SGrabs33
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tif419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4.5k sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer, TruCut

Re: Tax Stamp(s) Tuesday

Post by SGrabs33 »

dfw_pilot wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 pm

The ATF has been good to me the last couple weeks (Or maybe it's me who's been good to the ATF?).

I'm behind on buying things like optics because I've been focused on acquiring the guns themselves as a first priority. I also probably should have put the mount for the FDE TranQuilo on the FDE gun, which is my TLF Lower in .300 BLK with slightly non-matching MI BCG, haha. Oh well. :evil:

All three SBR's were approved in ~ 30 days and these cans were only in jail for ~ 4.5 months, so if you're on the fence: do it. :bandit:
Sweet stuff! Wish I knew where to start with these.

Topic Author
dfw_pilot
Site Admin

Re: Tax Stamp(s) Tuesday

Post by dfw_pilot »

SGrabs33 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:19 pm
Sweet stuff! Wish I knew where to start with these.
I recommend starting with a quality trust from a local trust attorney. Then let the fun begin. :thumbup:

cglarsen
Lawn Size: 37,000 sf
Mower: JD 2653a, Bradley 48 Stander

Post by cglarsen »

kds wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 pm
Since I don't have a wife or kids, my babies are dogs and firearms so that's where all my money goes! And since I have two new babies on the way (M&P9 2.0 5" and an M&P9 Compact 3.6" for carry) I guess you can say I'm nesting -- finally invested in a cabinet -- a SecureIt Agile 52.

I like it a lot. When I bought it, there was a chance I was going to be moving to Ohio for work (I'm not!) so the portability over a traditional safe was a plus for me. I had been saving up for a Liberty safe but really a fire is still going to cook whatever's in it and a thief can still go at it with an angle grinder and some time. I did get a little battery-operated motion-activated light off Amazon and stuck it to the inside top of the safe so it comes on when I open it.

I started out with the M&P Shield, then added an M&P9 2.0 4.25", then upgraded the Shield to the 2.0. Then I also got the M&P15. So it only stands to reason that I might as well get the 5" and the 3.6". I also got new holsters from Tier 1 Concealed for the Shield and the 3.6" and I'm going to mess around with some weapon-mounted lights. I can't stop myself! This should be it for a while though. I started doing competitions and it's something I enjoy doing so I can mostly justify the spending. I thought I would be content with the first couple of firearms...
NIce...So how do you like the Agile 52 now that you've had it a while? Considering one of these "non-traditional" gun safes as well. How secure is it really?

kds
Grass Type: Turf-type tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5,171 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA 21"

Post by kds »

cglarsen wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:58 pm
NIce...So how do you like the Agile 52 now that you've had it a while? Considering one of these "non-traditional" gun safes as well. How secure is it really?
I still like it a lot. The only problem is I need a bigger one now! I would get another one if I ever get sick of cramming everything in there. I just checked their site and looks like they've branched out into government contracts so they make a lot more stuff now.

I've since bolted it into the concrete floor and it's in a somewhat hidden room behind a locked door, I feel pretty secure about it. You could take an angle grinder to it and cut it open in some time but at that point the burglar would have been in my home for some amount of time already and with them tripping some smart home sensors and cameras I would know about it.

cglarsen

Post by cglarsen »

@dfw_pilot very nice rigs. Re What are the primary advantages of an NFA trust vs individual other than passing firearms down to others? Faster turn around times? Estate protection? Have not found a good explanation in layman's terms yet.

NoslracNevok
Grass Type: Converting to KBG monostand
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"

Post by NoslracNevok »

We have a DFW Wand, why not break down a "DFW Rifle". Ironic thing, I was an armorer back in the day, but don't own a firearm now. Casually observing and making notes on my best options.
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

Topic Author
dfw_pilot
Site Admin

Post by dfw_pilot »

cglarsen wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:39 pm
@dfw_pilot very nice rigs. Re What are the primary advantages of an NFA trust vs individual other than passing firearms down to others? Faster turn around times? Estate protection? Have not found a good explanation in layman's terms yet.
DuckDuckGo has some good answers. I went with a Trust because I wanted my wife and kids to be able to use our NFA items without the need for me to be present. Also, my wife knows the combination to our vault, so she has access to NFA items when I'm not home. Without a Trust, this is technically a violation. I have other things in my Trust and this may help avoid probate while also adding privacy. I personally think that for a small upfront hassle, it's just not worth future headaches to not use a trust.
NoslracNevok wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:44 pm
I was an armorer back in the day, but don't own a firearm now.
This needs to be rectified immediately. When seconds count, the police are minutes away, especially these last few weeks. :D

cglarsen

Post by cglarsen »

@dfw_pilot Great article. I agree the ability for wife and kids to have possession of regulated items when not present makes it worth doing if for no other reason. I think she may really like shooting my future CZ Scorpion SBR suppressed...she just doesn't know it yet.

BermudaBoy
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Ego 56V Select Cut

Post by BermudaBoy »

After about fifteen years I’ve made my first purchase.

Topic Author
dfw_pilot
Site Admin

Post by dfw_pilot »

BermudaBoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm
I’ve made my first purchase.
Nice purchase. I've heard so many good things about RMR'd pistols, I'm going to have to try Glock MOS.

BermudaBoy
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Ego 56V Select Cut

Post by BermudaBoy »

dfw_pilot wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:26 pm
BermudaBoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm
I’ve made my first purchase.
Nice purchase. I've heard so many good things about RMR'd pistols, I'm going to have to try Glock MOS.
I replaced my old gen 3 Glock for the gen 5. It was time for an upgrade and all the cool kids at the range use RMRs so I decided to join the cool kids club. I’ll take it out this week and see if it lives up to the hype.

TC2
Grass Type: Centipede/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 4500/7500sqft
Mower: Toro GM1600/Ego 21" rotary

Post by TC2 »

I hope this isn't off topic for this thread. I'm just getting into shooting and looking for some good (the best!) ear protection. I think I want some electronic muffs, for the ability to hear what's going on around me, and perhaps the option of adding music (also useful for mowing!). I've heard that using in ear, in addition to muffs, is a good way to go for extra protection. You guys normally have your fingers on the the pulse of quality and function, so I'm wondering what you would recommend?

Ware
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

TC2 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 pm
I hope this isn't off topic for this thread. I'm just getting into shooting and looking for some good (the best!) ear protection. I think I want some electronic muffs, for the ability to hear what's going on around me, and perhaps the option of adding music (also useful for mowing!). I've heard that using in ear, in addition to muffs, is a good way to go for extra protection. You guys normally have your fingers on the the pulse of quality and function, so I'm wondering what you would recommend?
Not off topic. :thumbup:

I have a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel ear pads, but I also don't think you could go wrong with a set of 3M Peltors. On the budget end, I have a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports with some aftermarket gel pads that work fine too. Whatever you go with, gel pads create a really nice seal.

JDay
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 1/3 Acre
Mower: Honda

Post by JDay »

New member here, just stumbled across this section. Love seeing all the Larue gear. I have an 18" Larue 5.56 and a Tranquilo suppressor that should be getting out of jail any day now (paperwork submitted 5/22/19).

Mocajoe
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Honda HRX217HXA

Post by Mocajoe »

Ware wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:43 pm
TC2 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Not off topic. :thumbup:

I have a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with gel ear pads, but I also don't think you could go wrong with a set of 3M Peltors. On the budget end, I have a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports with some aftermarket gel pads that work fine too. Whatever you go with, gel pads create a really nice seal.
I have a pair of Westone custom ear protection devices. These required a visit to an audiologist to have the molds made and then sent to Westone. They work well for Sporting Clays or hunting when you need to hear conversations or other low volume sounds before you fire. I believe the best protection is Muffs over some type of internal ear plug. If you really want to delve into the technical aspects of hearing protection check out this white paper from Westone’s website.
https://www.westone.com/store/downloads ... _Paper.pdf

BobLovesGrass
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season, random mix
Lawn Size: 25,000sq ft.
Mower: 46" Craftsman YT4100

Post by BobLovesGrass »

My collection can not compare with many of yours.

We have a few hand-me-downs from my wife's grandfather don't recall models but a 16gauge shotgun, single shot .22lr and a semiautomatic .22lr with the tube in the stock.
KelTec PMR 30
H&K 416 .22LR
Mossberg Patriot 6.5Creedmoor with Vortex scope.

The KelTec is a novelty, has a poor reliability reputation but I feed it Hornady Critical Defense and it is fine. The long stroke needed for .22WRM just needs a powerful load to cycle.
The H&K 416 .22lr was bought because I wanted an adjustable stock I could teach the wife and kids both with. Stock trigger was 7lbs so I had to upgrade that right away, 7lbs. is a bit much for kids.
Mossberg Patriot was because after decades of not hunting, my Dad really wanted me to go with him. I grew up using shotgun for deer, never sighted a scope or shot 100yards but after a box and a half I was shooting 1" groups and it did is job well on the day it needed to. One of my 65lbs. girls has shot it and still had a smile on her face, muzzle jumps but about nothing on the shoulder.

I would like to get into some nicer equipment but there are other priorities.