Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Re: What's Grilling/Smoking?

Post by CenlaLowell »

zenmower wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:29 am
CenlaLowell wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:21 pm
Took a few hours but it's together and I seasoned it in
Enjoy it, I have the performer deluxe also and love it.

Careful though, the accessories will cost as much as the grill!!
-- Slow n sear
-- Fireboard with BBQ guru fan (Skip the weber temp controller)
-- Vortex
-- Shelf
-- Rib rack
-- Temp probe

I had to drill out the lid vent and replace with a nut/bolt so I could clean out the grime from smoking.
I smoked some pork chops and they were delicious.
I was wondering how people were maintaining temps with this. I guess the fireboard is what people are using. I have the vortex and my next purchase is the grill grate
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

zenmower
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: JD JS20, Honda Harmony 215

Post by zenmower »

Only grill grate I have is the heavy duty one that came with the performer.

Before the controller, I did the snake method using the vents just to understand the basics of temp control, fire management, etc. but it needed constant attention as the ambient temps fluctuated with wind, time of day, etc.
This was with the weber b-tooth temp probes.

With the fireboard, it is a completely different experience, I can control heat like an oven....on my phone.
I encourage at least one smoke old school just to understand the grill but a controller is awesome.

I don't mind hanging out with the grill, burn pit, etc. but now it is my choice.

With the vortex, I just close off the fan damper, vents wide open, and let it burn full throttle (easily hits 600*), perfect wings.

I also installed a gasket which DRASTICALLY saves on charcoal.
I thought about the hinge but it won't fit my weber cover.
I am careful to put my lid on the same way each time.

I bought a longer propane hose and use a regular propane tank which saves a ton of money.
I still have a chimney for the slow n sear and also for my smokey joe.

It sounds like a lot and it isn't cheap to start with but it makes even regular hot dogs delicious and the smoked BBQ absolutely destroys any restaurant but the most old school place.

I still save a ton of money compared to eating out.

Buy the big bags of smoke wood and use an ax to break them down to size, saves money.

Careful on wire brush, buy quality, and always follow with wet paper towel, some just use aluminum foil scraps.
I also have a wood scraper.

Save yourself some pain and buy welding gloves when moving charcoal and food grade gloves when handing food.

As you can tell I went crazy on accessories but the proof is in the food and my neighbors asking for food. :lol:

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

@zenmower

I'm definitely pretty new to grilling so controlling the temp to do ribs say 225 Im finding hard to do on the Weber. Probably just tricks I need to learn about it.
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

Stellar P
Grass Type: St Aug 90%/Bermuda 10% Mix
Lawn Size: Ft: 4500 Bk: 5000
Mower: Toro 22" Recycler - Rotary

Post by Stellar P »

CenlaLowell wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm
I'm definitely pretty new to grilling so controlling the temp to do ribs say 225 Im finding hard to do on the Weber. Probably just tricks I need to learn about it.
Not sure if that Weber you have is a smoker or a pellet, but I found that playing around with fuel size plays a big role in maintaining your temps for longer periods in your target zone. I feel like chunks of wood that are fist size or smaller, only maintain 225 to 250 for about 30-40 min before you have to add to the coal bed. Annoying when you're doing a long cook or starting something at midnight to be ready the following afternoon.

I found this video about tempature managment a while back. I know it's long but this guy is really in depth. I felt like I got a lot of useful info from it. A few of his videos have helped me a lot to understand all the variables to prevent temp peaks and vallys.

cutigers08
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6500 sq ft
Mower: McLane 20" 7 blade Reel

Post by cutigers08 »

Did some pork chops and chicken breasts for the week while the wife is out of town.

zenmower

Post by zenmower »

CenlaLowell wrote:
@zenmower

For the kettles, there are a couple things to remember.

Control the fuel, this is where the minion method was figured out, controlled burn.
You have to balance the intake to avoid acidic smoke, I usually run at 1/4.
Similar on the top, I kept it at about 1/4 when smoking.

Check out the "The Smoking Meat" and "Weber Kettle" forums, easy find on google.
You also have to understand how smoke, temps, vents, etc. work to maintain temps but also keep the heat and smoke moving through the chamber as a draft.

Have fun with it; whatever you do, don't buy easy light charcoal, get the blue bag and some wood.

zenmower

Post by zenmower »

Stellar P wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 am
CenlaLowell wrote:
Not sure if that Weber you have is a smoker or a pellet, but I found that playing around with fuel size plays a big role in maintaining your temps for longer periods in your target zone. I feel like chunks of wood that are fist size or smaller, only maintain 225 to 250 for about 30-40 min before you have to add to the coal bed. Annoying when you're doing a long cook or starting something at midnight to be ready the following afternoon.

I found this video about tempature managment a while back. I know it's long but this guy is really in depth. I felt like I got a lot of useful info from it. A few of his videos have helped me a lot to understand all the variables to prevent temp peaks and vallys.

That guy knows his stuff, but there are similarities and differences between an offset and a kettle.
Both make some great 'cue but they do it differently, similar to a barrel or smokey mountain.
You really can taste the difference and there isn't good or bad way if done right.

iFisch3224
Grass Type: Cool Season Mix
Lawn Size: 4,500
Mower: 2020 Honda HRN216VYA

Post by iFisch3224 »

New Weber Limited Edition Red. And my 18” Kamado Joe with upgrades, and 36” Griddle.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

iFisch3224 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:43 pm
New Weber Limited Edition Red. And my 18” Kamado Joe with upgrades, and 36” Griddle.

Love it. :thumbup:

RayTL
Grass Type: Mixed Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: C-27 Tru Cut

Post by RayTL »

Doing some work today! Cleaned out the Primo and cooked some Baby backs. Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow and sauced with Blues Hog. Lipsmackin good!

Oh, and I mowed the yard, edged, ran 3 miles, and biked with the kiddos. Thanks those who have provided this freedom, Happy Memorial Day!
Keeping it REEL in the ATL: Yes Honey, I need to mow again.

iFisch3224
Grass Type: Cool Season Mix
Lawn Size: 4,500
Mower: 2020 Honda HRN216VYA

Post by iFisch3224 »

Amen! Made ribs today. Cut the grass on Sunday, was out of town yesterday and going to cut again tomorrow.

MarkV
Grass Type: U3
Lawn Size: ~3K
Mower: McLane

Post by MarkV »

I got my first smoker over the weekend, and I'm super excited to use it.

On a brisket, how many people can you feed per pound?

I watched Malcom Reed do a 16 lb. brisket and the dang thing was $63. I would hope to feed a couple family's for $63 in meat.
Please ignore the above post.
I am just trying to increase my post count.

smurg
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Mower: Tru-cut P-20

Post by smurg »

MarkV wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 pm
I got my first smoker over the weekend, and I'm super excited to use it.

On a brisket, how many people can you feed per pound?

I watched Malcom Reed do a 16 lb. brisket and the dang thing was $63. I would hope to feed a couple family's for $63 in meat.
Yield could be anywhere from 50%-75% of purchased weight due to trimming/losses during cooking. I'd say around 16 people if you have sides and half a pound per person is still overshooting it for most people imo.

I'll smoke a brisket and my wife doesn't eat any of it. Basically I refrigerate small amounts for the immediate future and freeze the rest.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

@MarkV I bought an Anova vacuum sealer that works great for sous vide, but I also use it for freezing smoked meats. I vacuum seal it up in family size meal portions and freeze. To reheat it, I just toss the bag in a pan of boiling water. It's great because it retains the moisture it had when it went into the bag.

MarkV
Grass Type: U3
Lawn Size: ~3K
Mower: McLane

Post by MarkV »

Thanks for advise.

Apparently a pandemic is the worst time to get a smoker. The local grocery store had briskets, but for $8 per lb, making the cheapest one $132.

We did just order 1/4 beef (butchered on 9/4/20), so I should have some meat after that.
Please ignore the above post.
I am just trying to increase my post count.

Budstl
Grass Type: Kbg
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris 36"

Post by Budstl »

Pork steaks on the pit barrel

smurg
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Mower: Tru-cut P-20

Post by smurg »

About 5 hours anywhere from 200-250°F on the kamado (no wrap) with mostly hickory and a chunk of mesquite. Had to close out in the oven with charcoal running out. Finished with some sweet baby Ray's on one rack and stick fingers on the other.