Post by kc8qpu092200 »

Ham radio! What's that???🤣🤣🤣

RayTL
Grass Type: Mixed Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: C-27 Tru Cut

Re: HAM Radio

Post by RayTL »

Need an HF lawn forum net, lol. Plenty of old guys talking about the weather and their ailments. Why not my issues with POA annua?!
Keeping it REEL in the ATL: Yes Honey, I need to mow again.

MarkV
Grass Type: U3
Lawn Size: ~3K
Mower: McLane

Post by MarkV »

Of you that are running an antenna in your attic. What range are you getting on what wattage? Do you have a radiant barrier as well?

I bought an HT a few months back to listen in. I think I'm going to try and get my technician license over the summer.

I would like to have a way to communicate during emergencies is my main want. I don't think I would ever get into HF. I'm near an airport as well. If I could listen in on air traffic that would be cool too.
Please ignore the above post.
I am just trying to increase my post count.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG, T1 Bentgrass
Lawn Size: 1.4 Acres
Mower: Toro Reelmaster 3100D, GM 1000

Post by HoosierLawnGnome »

Scanners are pretty cool for air traffic and emergency stuff.

I got into it in part initially because I needed a way to communicate while hunting out of cell phone range. Then it took off.

It all started with a Baofeng UV-5R for those purposes......

RayTL
Grass Type: Mixed Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: C-27 Tru Cut

Post by RayTL »

Haha @HoosierLawnGnome - the Baofeng did me in as well!

@MarkV

I can hit repeaters 10miles away on a simple hand held radio (ht) that runs 5watts. You can check out repeaterbook.com to see what’s close to you. I typically only use 10w on my main rig and hit all of my local repeaters within 10/20 miles easily. I’ve done this with an antenna in the house (a mag mount on a pizza pan) and with my, now external, antenna. I don’t have an antenna in the attic, but it is just as close being on the peak of my roof. The RF exposure you may be worried about is driven by wattage and duration of time you’re actually talking. There are lots of articles on that. You can check out the ARRL website for good info.

As far as HF, FWIW from a relatively new ham, I got bored listening to people talk on the local repeaters and didn’t have anyone to talk simplex with (radio to radio), so I quickly moved towards HF. 2M and 70cm are great, but HF is a lot more fun IMO. I live near a small regional airport that’s extremely busy and haven’t had much issue with it creating noise. It was cool to recently hear The President roll into the airport on his recent visit on the Air band.

Ray
Keeping it REEL in the ATL: Yes Honey, I need to mow again.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG, T1 Bentgrass
Lawn Size: 1.4 Acres
Mower: Toro Reelmaster 3100D, GM 1000

Post by HoosierLawnGnome »

@MarkV I get 60 miles on my Comet GP3 at 20 ft AGL with 50 ft LMR400 on a Kenwood TMV71A on 2m 70cm

On HF I hear stations all over the world and have transmitted to Europe, southern Brazil, and northeastern Africa on an OCF dipole.

All in my attic.

MarkV
Grass Type: U3
Lawn Size: ~3K
Mower: McLane

Post by MarkV »

@RayTL thanks for the info. It's funny how hobbies are so addicting and you just want to buy cooler toys.
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm
@MarkV I get 60 miles on my Comet GP3 at 20 ft AGL with 50 ft LMR400 on a Kenwood TMV71A on 2m 70cm

On HF I hear stations all over the world and have transmitted to Europe, southern Brazil, and northeastern Africa on an OCF dipole.

All in my attic.
Well that's not what I was expecting to hear. I range wouldn't be anything near that with an attic antenna.

So what I'm hearing is, all the cool kids hang out on HF. :)
Please ignore the above post.
I am just trying to increase my post count.

Tjstampa
Grass Type: St Augustinegrass
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda self propelled

Post by Tjstampa »

I had a friend turn his rain gutter into an antenna to keep it hideous from the Homeowner association. He was able to reach both Canada and South America with his setup .

kc8qpu092200
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20" 10 blade, Honda Rot

Post by kc8qpu092200 »

MarkV wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 am
@RayTL thanks for the info. It's funny how hobbies are so addicting and you just want to buy cooler toys.
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm

All in my attic.
Well that's not what I was expecting to hear. I range wouldn't be anything near that with an attic antenna.

So what I'm hearing is, all the cool kids hang out on HF. :)
Not much seems cool about it anymore and there certainly is not youth in this hobby anymore.

Deltahedge
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: Badboy Maverick, JD 260SL

Post by Deltahedge »

I am interested in getting into HAM radio this year. I started watching some videos last week to help me study for the test. What advice would y'all give to a new person to the hobby? (I understand a little bit from building some quad-copters with video transmission, but that's the extent of it)