Anyone here into fine watches? I just bought one.

How you relax when the work is done
Jazzfishzen
Grass Type: BLuegrass, Rye Fescue
Lawn Size: 1800
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000, Honda

Re: Anyone here into fine watches? I just bought one.

Post by Jazzfishzen »

Congrats on the Grand Seiko, that is an outstanding time piece. Fantastic choice.

I have a few that I have collected over the years..... Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Datejust, Breitling Premier chronograph (ref A40035) and no collection would be complete without the "first and last watch I'll ever buy" TAG Heuer 2000 Professional chronograph........ it's taken a beating for close to 30 years and refuses to die.

Cheers,

Jazzfish

PNW_George
Grass Type: Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Dennis G860

Post by PNW_George »

This was a present from my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary. I hardly ever wear it anymore as I like the fitness apps on my iWatch. I did wear it for many years though and until taking this picture couldn't see the small scratches. I assume those could be buffed out?

Jairow
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200 sf
Mower: Fiskars Reel Mower

Post by Jairow »

Congrats on the new watch! Can't believe I had missed that particular GS; it's a handsome and highly functional watch. I enjoyed watches as a kid and through college, then somewhere along the way stopped wearing them. I recently rekindled my love with watches when I was browsing through merchandise that I could get with Southwest Airlines points and saw they offered Tag Heuer watches. I ended up getting the Tag from another place (as I didn't have enough points) and that was the gateway to a Seiko SKX013, Rolex Explorer, Tudor BB58, and Casio G-Shock GMWB5000.

By the way, for those that aren't aware, Rolex stainless steel sport models and some Tudors are somewhat like Swardman. At this point, it might take a year or two on a waiting list before you're able to purchase some particular models and many are being sold for 2-4 times retail cost on the gray market.

I have a Swiss Army Maverick and a field watch that I dedicate for mowing and yard work. They're both rugged and reliable and I make good use of them as I often find myself trying to get a quick mow in before having to be somewhere. The Maverick has a large dial with metal bracelet and heavy enough that easily falls through a long sleeve shirt so I can tell the time without having to take my hand off the mower to push my sleeve up. The field watch is light and perfect for quickly noting the time with a short sleeve.

I also have a variety of leather, rubber, NATO, and faux crocodile straps from Barton Bands and I enjoy mixing and matching those. It's as if you have a whole new watch every time you use a different strap.

I am actually in the market now for a GS SBGX259. I like the idea of a grab-and-go high accuracy quartz by one of the finest watchmakers that flies under the radar. I'm hoping to find one like you did, significantly under retail.

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

@PNW_George You can take your Rolex to a certified service center and they will take care of it or ship it back to Rolex for servicing/lubricating and cleaning/polishing. It should come back looking almost new and recalibrated. I don't know what they are currently charging, but I think it was ~500.00 for a full service a few years back.

That is a very pretty watch with a nice face plate. The stainless/gold with (looks like) mother of pearl is a classic. Maybe only bettered by the blue face date just.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: After Midnight
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

FlowRider
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider »

I have only owned three watches in my life. A gold Timex my father gave me; a Casio G-Shock that still works; and a gold Seiko my wife bought for me. The Seiko is just beautiful. Tritium glow in the dark.

I don’t like to wear jewelry and since I retired I don’t need to wear a watch anyway. But I still love that Seiko. Excellent quality watch.

I need to take it in and get it serviced, and buy a new watch band. One day.... I may need it for special occasions.
I can grow weeds with the best of them...! :bd:

testwerke
Grass Type: Zoysia & Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA

Post by testwerke »

DFW_Zoysia wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm
Here are two that have my attention:
Those two look superb.
I’m really digging the Black Bay fifty eight

UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by UltimateLawn »

@Jay20nj , those Breitlings look very nice. Particularly the second one. Stainless? I recall them having a similar one in titanium that caught my eye previously.

BurtMacklinFBI
Grass Type: Perennial Ryegrass and unknown
Lawn Size: 1/4 to 1/3 acre
Mower: Bobcat ZT2000 42"

Post by BurtMacklinFBI »

Lot of great looking pieces in this thread

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast myself..... well, more of an Omega watch enthusiast. Not a great pic but here's my trilogy (Speedmaster, Seamaster, Railmaster) I think Omega needs to come out with a Turfmaster or something along that line haha.

Trent161
Lawn Size: 6,800
Mower: Troy built rotary

Post by Trent161 »

BurtMacklinFBI wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:59 pm
Lot of great looking pieces in this thread

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast myself..... well, more of an Omega watch enthusiast. Not a great pic but here's my trilogy (Speedmaster, Seamaster, Railmaster) I think Omega needs to come out with a Turfmaster or something along that line haha.

Awesome set you have there! I have said in the past that if they are good enough for Bond they are good enough for me. LOL
Trent

Be disciplined or BE DISCIPLINED.

BurtMacklinFBI
Grass Type: Perennial Ryegrass and unknown
Lawn Size: 1/4 to 1/3 acre
Mower: Bobcat ZT2000 42"

Post by BurtMacklinFBI »

Trent161 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:05 pm
Awesome set you have there! I have said in the past that if they are good enough for Bond they are good enough for me. LOL
well the speedmaster was good enough for Buzz Aldrin when he stepped on the moon so I guess it will be good enough for a night out ;)

M3ntalATX
Grass Type: 419
Lawn Size: 23k sqft
Mower: TruCut 27, GM 1600

Post by M3ntalATX »

It’s a bit weird that this is my first post on TLF, but I’ve mainly been prepping and purchasing equipment via PM’s before I move from a ~3k sqft 419 lawn to around an acre. Stumbled across this thread and thought I’d contribute.

Watches are another one of my main passions/hobbies. Below is a shot of some of the collection after I got a new Pelican case to easily toss in the safe.

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

M3ntalATX wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 am
It’s a bit weird that this is my first post on TLF, but I’ve mainly been prepping and purchasing equipment via PM’s before I move from a ~3k sqft 419 lawn to around an acre. Stumbled across this thread and thought I’d contribute.

Watches are another one of my main passions/hobbies. Below is a shot of some of the collection after I got a new Pelican case to easily toss in the safe.

Like the milgauss!
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: After Midnight
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Kallgren
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Jacobsen 522, Craftsman 42”

Post by Kallgren »

This is interesting thread. My room mate from college many years ago quite his engineering job and started a watch repair/restoration business. At the time I recall he was one of only 12 AWI Certified Master Watchmakers in the USA. He also now has his own line - Thomas Gref Watches based around ETA 2824-2 Swiss Movement (25 jewels) - one of which I proudly own.
Here is Bills Backyard Pitch and Putt journal viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15487

JLMTX83
Grass Type: Bermuda, St. Aug and Zoisa
Lawn Size: 1 Acre Plus
Mower: Several

Post by JLMTX83 »

Guilty of the watch addiction as well, rocking a 116710 BLNR