How you relax when the work is done
BadDogPSD
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 9500
Mower: Honda HRX

Re: Swimming Pools

Post by BadDogPSD »

@The_iHenry Looks like you have a bit of an algae bloom going on. You'll need to raise your free-chlorine levels to SLAM levels to get rid of it. Are you aware of the TFP (Trouble Free Pools) site?

Topic Author
The_iHenry
Grass Type: Bermuda?
Lawn Size: 3,500 sqft
Mower: Greensmaster 1600

Post by The_iHenry »

@BadDogPSD I joined shortly after this thread. Although, I haven't spent too much time on TFP... maybe I should

ionicatoms
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Palmetto)
Lawn Size: 7100 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro 21386

Post by ionicatoms »

The_iHenry wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 pm
:shock: I can't hold chlorine
Well, that's not a question, but here's what I would do in case you're looking for an opinion:
  • Confirm that you haven't used any products which react with chlorine to achieve another effect, such as sodium bromide or ascorbic acid.
  • Check cyanuric acid level; if CYA is high (above 60 I would consider high), your alkalinity measurements won't be accurate. Taylor provides instructions for making the correction using some simple math.
  • Confirm Alkalinity is in the appropriate range (to buffer pH and protect equipment). Note that increasing alkalinity will increase pH which can cause any metals in your water to become deposited on your pool surface. If you have metals in your pool, e.g. iron from water supply or copper from an algaecide, you may want to use a metal sequestrant to ensure the metal stays in a soluble (and suspended) state.
  • Add acid to bring pH down to 7.2 (remove equipment from pool before adding acid). This will ensure chlorine works efficiently.
  • Bring chlorine up to shock level and keep adding chlorine until your overnight residual of chlorine is stable.
  • Run filter continuously
  • Brush everyday, twice if you can
  • Use a phosphate remover to capture phosphate released by dead algae. If you aren't already aware, keep an eye on the filter pressure, phosphate remover will clog up your filter.
  • Start or continue using a preventive algaecide. I prefer the poly60 stuff because it doesn't have metals, but it doesn't last as long and it tears up the cartridge filters more. It's okay for me, but not everybody likes it.
Want to know more? Review my Lawn Journal

BadDogPSD
TLF Supporter

Post by BadDogPSD »

Really no need for phosphate removers or algaecide if you keep your chlorine at the correct level for the CYA level in your pool.
Read the ABC's of pool water chemistry and the SLAM process over on TFP. You'll also need a good test kit. The Taylor 2006C is good, and TFP also sells a kit. The general consensus of the membership there is to stay out of pool stores, and don't use their free water testing service.

ionicatoms

Post by ionicatoms »

BadDogPSD wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 pm
Really no need for phosphate removers or algaecide if you keep your chlorine at the correct level for the CYA level in your pool.
Phosphate remover and algaecide are great for those who are prone to neglecting their pool. I speak from experience. My pool log is posted to https://troublefreepool.com/mypool/D171DrB

BadDogPSD
TLF Supporter

Post by BadDogPSD »

ionicatoms wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 pm
BadDogPSD wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 pm
Phosphate remover and algaecide are great for those who are prone to neglecting their pool. I speak from experience. My pool log is posted to https://troublefreepool.com/mypool/D171DrB
:thumbup:

DFWdude
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,500 sq ft
Mower: 20 & 25” Cali, Honda Rotary

Post by DFWdude »

TFP all the way!

Lawn Journal; viewtopic.php?t=24210

ionicatoms

Post by ionicatoms »

Looking good!

Recently I realized that if my pool needs water, I need to check my lawn for the same need. Got a little spoiled with the daily rain here in Florida, but when my pool level went low, it served as a nice reminder to water my lawn.

AUspicious
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: JD 220B

Post by AUspicious »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm
TFP all the way!

Dang, @DFWdude, that's swanky. Looks like a drug dealer's pool! :lol: Very nice!

ionicatoms

Post by ionicatoms »

LOL

quintafresnos
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: About 1,000 sq m.
Mower: Hyundai self-propelled

Post by quintafresnos »

We have a loft project first, but then we will be demolishing the pool the first owner built. It's a huge oval basin, 200 sq m, just a giant kids splash pool, too shallow to swim in. We will build a proper replacement. I wasn't even going to waste money filling it after we moved in, but then, hurricane Hannah blew through and put 50 cu.m. into it, filled it up. This at least allowed me to practice pool maintenance and splash about for a while. We'll need a new pump, the existing one is a pissy little 1HP, and a new filter and diverter valve, the old ones have had it.

Nkoehn22
Grass Type: Meyers Zoysia'
Lawn Size: 3,000 square ft
Mower: Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ

Post by Nkoehn22 »

New 27 ft salt water pool, It's now filled, The next project is extending the deck to go around the pool, waiting on the plans to get approved so we can start building it.

#YardDomination #RuleTheNeighborhood #JustLikeCarpet

Nathan In Virginia

MrMeaner
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 1650Sq Ft
Mower: None

Post by MrMeaner »

My new house came with a pool. I subscribe and use the trouble free pool method as well. it came with an inground 15x28' Pool w/automatic cover, Pentair pump, heater and sand filter chlorinated by a salt water generator.
One mans weed is another mans highly prized turf

NJ-lawn
Grass Type: KBG front. North mix rear
Lawn Size: 12000sqft
Mower: Swardman Edwin 2.1/ Honda HRX

Post by NJ-lawn »

MrMeaner wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:52 am
My new house came with a pool. I subscribe and use the trouble free pool method as well. it came with an inground 15x28' Pool w/automatic cover, Pentair pump, heater and sand filter chlorinated by a salt water generator.
Amazing pool....congrats. Yes TFP is the best. Great people.

NJ-lawn
Grass Type: KBG front. North mix rear
Lawn Size: 12000sqft
Mower: Swardman Edwin 2.1/ Honda HRX

Post by NJ-lawn »

Anyone have any tips or paint ideas on painting the concrete surrounding my pool? Thinking about getting it done in the next month or so

Jeff20
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1k
Mower: JD-220A

Post by Jeff20 »

NJ-lawn wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:44 am
Anyone have any tips or paint ideas on painting the concrete surrounding my pool? Thinking about getting it done in the next month or so
You could check with your local paint store, Sherwin Williams is a pretty good place to start. This is my pool, 18yrs old. Changed to salt and never looked back.

DR_GREENTHUMB
Grass Type: Bermuda & Fescue
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen Eclipse / Honda

Post by DR_GREENTHUMB »

Been studying TFP for many years, only way to go. Never been "pool schooled", fortunately.

M311att

Post by M311att »

Need some quick help here....we're in the end stages of pool construction and the builder has speced/installed a UV mineral sanitizer system instead of what we asked for. We wanted a saltwater pool because we are pleased with the one my MIL has. I could be swayed to keep this if it's a good system but at this point I have no idea. For the moment let's just ignore that they screwed up.

x Wild Bill x
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 18,500ft2
Mower: Bradley 52" Compact Stander

Post by x Wild Bill x »

@M311att

I would highly recommend you make your pool builder install the Salt water chlorine generator and not the UV / Mineral system. The UV system does nothing for your pool but use electricity and burn up chlorine, you get plenty of UV for free from the sun. The mineral system simply introduces minerals into your pool water that build up over time and eventually cause staining and other issues. Saltwater is so much easier and simpler to use with no downsides.

For more information, check TroubleFreePool for more in-depth reading on the saltwater / uv debate.