Lawn Size: 2500 sqft
Mower: Toro gm1000

Re: The Official TLF Drone Thread

Post by Iriasj2009 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am

ericgautier wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 am
Iriasj2009 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 pm

After watching some videos, the dji spark will be what I need and is much cheaper. Question is, do you think prices will/can fall by April?
Not sure, but if you don't need it right now I would wait and see. :thumbup:
I REALLY want one now lol but im going to do a bit of shopping since i didnt have it in my budget yet. Hopefully i pull the trigger on a good deal.

Iriasj2009
Grass Type: Tifgrand Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sqft
Mower: Toro gm1000

Post by Iriasj2009 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am

Ware wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 pm
So I found a new DJI Phantom 3 Standard on FB Marketplace today. It came with an extra battery and a hard case, and I was able to pick it up for $400. The specs all look better than the Spark (except for the size), so I decided to give this a try before spending a couple hundred more on the Spark Fly More Combo.

It was cold and getting dark by the time I got it charged up and ready to go, but here is some footage from my very first drone flight. Beginning at 1:13 I was using a pretty cool feature called Point of Interest where you basically pick a point, then fly it out a distance to set a radius, and the drone then circles the point you selected at a speed of your choosing. I did adjust the altitude and camera angle once or twice during this. I think it will be a really handy feature to record mowing, etc.

Ware THIS IS AWESOME MAN! Please let me know if you are happy with you buy!

Bunnysarefat
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda & St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Toro S. Recyl & 5b McLane reel

Post by Bunnysarefat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am

Very nice. Did you have to register your drone and prove its legality to the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of Drone Lawn Filming in Washington DC with the Central government? Sounds like you may have you gone the drone show loophole route. Obviously joking, it's just insane that we can't have any hobbies without approval from our overlords. All I can think of when I see a drone is, "did some unknown person approve that or is that hobbyist a potential felon?"
The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of grass struggles.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am

Bunnysarefat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am
...drone show loophole route.
:bandit:

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Ware wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 pm
So I found a new DJI Phantom 3 Standard on FB Marketplace today.
Congrats! Video looks good. Looking forward to more.

I actually just got to play around with a Spark. We are at my brother in law's for New Year and he just got a Spark.

Really liking it a lot.
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

Ware
Site Admin

DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Post by Ware » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Iriasj2009 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am
Ware THIS IS AWESOME MAN! Please let me know if you are happy with you buy!
I have taken it up a few times now, and I am pretty happy with it for $400. It was tempting, and would have been easy to spend more on one, but I think it has a really nice beginner feature set for the money, and should suit my needs for a while. I'm usually a buy once, cry once kind of guy, and typically won't buy the older technology within a product line, but I was having some heartburn with the idea of spending much on a first drone. They are really cool, but I don't see it becoming a hobby - rather ancillary to my other hobbies.

It is pretty easy to fly, and short of a failure of some sort, I think it would be difficult to crash if I am careful with it - knock on wood. It will do auto takeoff, auto landing, return to home, etc.

Having the extra battery is going to be nice, and I think I will appreciate the longer max flight time (25 min) compared to the DJI Spark (16 min) - especially as a beginner where I might burn several minutes just setting up the shot I want to take. Also, sort of like sprinkler head data, I think those flight times were probably recorded in a vacuum - I would anticipate a few minutes less in the real world. That said, the Spark batteries are cheaper and the Fly More Combo comes with a charger that lets you charge 3 at once - so there is that to consider. The DJI app gives you an estimated remaining flight time while you have it in the air, which is nice. I think it will also return home automatically if the battery gets too low in relation to where it is. I don't plan to test this.

One feature I do wish it had was Tripod Mode - which I think most of the newer DJI units have. When activated, it basically limits the stick inputs to allow for very slow, fluid movement in tight spaces. I think this would be very handy for flying around my yard at low altitude. Right now if there was one feature I would consider upgrading to get, it would be that.

Size. It's a much bigger package than the DJI Spark. I think I saw in one video that the Phantom 3 battery is roughly the same size as the whole Spark body. It doesn't fold up like the Mavic, and because the gimbal and camera all hang below the body of the aircraft, the whole thing is more cube-shaped than some of the other drones I've seen.

Gestures. The newer DJI drones are programmed to respond to gestures made with your arms. I may be missing the boat on this, but this is not something that I was particularly interested in.

Distance. Something about the technology used in the Phantom 3 limits max transmission distance to about half a mile, so if you're looking for a drone that will fly several miles, you'll need to spend more. I may change my mind on this later, but for now most of my interest is in recording stuff I'm doing, or stuff in close proximity to where I am standing. That said, there is a 3rd party app called Litchi that a lot of people use that allows you to program missions with waypoints. The drone then flies the mission autonomously, so a link between the drone and the controller is unnecessary. They say with this app you can actually fly one much further than the more expensive drones - you just have to tell it exactly where to go before it leaves. Yeah, sounds a little scary. The Litchi app also gives you some of the advanced software functionality of the newer DJI drones - like object tracking.

The Phantom 3 remote is kind of bulky, and the clamp to hold my phone is what I would call secure, but not solid. It is connected at a single point, so it wiggles a bit. I'm not worried that my phone will fall out, but it is kind of annoying. Granted, I have an iPhone Plus, so it is a little heavier.

I still think the the DJI Spark Fly More Combo with an all-in price of about $600 would also be an excellent choice, but I have no serious regrets in my first 24 hours of ownership of the Phantom 3 Standard. :thumbup:

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Awesome video Ware. Looks like the top of the drone needs a TLF sticker. :D The definition of the front yard along the ditch and back to the neighbors yard looks almost like you edged it!
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Ware
Site Admin

Re: DJI Spark

Post by Ware » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

ericgautier wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am
Have you checked CL? I've seen the Fly More Combo for $450 in my area (brand new, sealed).
I researched this a little and found a slickdeal where Micro Center had the white DJI Spark Fly More Combo's priced at $399 in store only sometime last month. That would explain why some sealed ones made their way to the secondary market so cheap.

ericgautier

Re: DJI Spark

Post by ericgautier » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 am

Ware wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

I researched this a little and found a slickdeal where Micro Center had the white DJI Spark Fly More Combo's priced at $399 in store only sometime last month. That would explain why some sealed ones made their way to the secondary market so cheap.
Gotcha. Still a good deal if you can find someone selling. :thumbup:
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am

So, looks like DJI released a new drone... Mavic AIR.

Last edited by ericgautier on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 am

ericgautier wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am
So, looks like DJI released a new drone... Mavic AIR.

I saw that - very cool. :thumbup:

Looks like $799, or $999 for the Fly More Combo (which includes 3 batteries!). If I had a $1k drone budget, I would definitely go with the Mavic Air.

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Electra+Edwin+Timemaster+Robot

What kind of drones are yall using?

Post by Austinite » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm convinced I want one. Now to get some feedback as far as what you all are using. Really appreciate any input.
ImageImageImage

Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm

@Austinite I moved your post here.

I now use a DJI Spark Fly More Combo, but I kinda wish I had the Mavic Air - to get the 3-axis gimbal. The new Mavic 2's look super nice, but they're just too expensive for my needs.

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Electra+Edwin+Timemaster+Robot

Post by Austinite » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Outstanding. Didn’t even see this thread. Thanks man
ImageImageImage

FRD135i
Grass Type: Dirt with some P77
Lawn Size: 18K
Mower: JD 220B

Post by FRD135i » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Just bought a eachine wizzard x220s fpv racing drone. Anyone else rocking something similar?
Do stuff like this
Last edited by FRD135i on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5100
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 am

Don’t know how I missed this thread. I have a mavic air, and I absolutely love it. It’s super easy to fly as well, has tons of tech to help avoid any crashing too. Amazing video quality and the shooting modes are kind of fun to play with. I let my 5 year olds fly it even, it’s that easy!

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Post by Babaganoosh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:42 am

Mavic Air here too.

Awesome drone.

4k vids and great pics.

Very portable and foldable.

I think most people who want more than a toy quality drone but don't want to drop too much dough will be happy with a spark.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Post by dfw_pilot » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:11 pm

FRD135i wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 pm
That footage is sick.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

FRD135i
Grass Type: Dirt with some P77
Lawn Size: 18K
Mower: JD 220B

Post by FRD135i » Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Just waiting on a power supply, then its on!
Last edited by FRD135i on Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raneman
Lawn Size: 1200 sf
Mower: Hustler Raptor 52

Post by raneman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:20 pm

FRD135i wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 pm
Just bought a eachine wizzard x220s fpv racing drone. Anyone else rocking something similar?
Do stuff like this
Very few people can fly like Steele Davis. I'm partial to Johnny FPV, Stingersswarm and Skitzo because I like the personalities better, but can't argue with Mr. Steele's flying ability.
FRD135i wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Just waiting on a power supply, then its on!
Awesome, is this your first build?

I got heavily into drone building a few years ago, it's how I learned to solder. Had a decent fleet of racer / freestyle quads, but I was not great at flying. It's 10x harder than flying anything DJI makes, you have to turn off all gyro and accelerate assistance and go full acro mode to be able to fly these types of drones.
If you do get into this and don't want to spend a lot of money repairing broken carbon frames, get a good FPV simulator for your PC, if you have a FrSky transmitter, most of the FPV apps will interface directly with it so you can use your actual transmitter to practice and not a game controller that's completely different.

This is from a couple of years ago, it was when I first started collecting them.

I don't have any pics of my FatShark HD2 goggles. The goggles in the image above I got when I first started because I couldn't part with $400 for a pair of goggles if I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it. Ended up not sticking with it anyway, but the newer goggles definitely made a difference.

This thread sure makes me want to get back into it. Especially with DJI's new racing HD system they just announced this week. FPV video has been strictly analog due to the heavy latency of an HD signal. You can't fly racing or freestyle with half a second latency without crashing. The new DJI system is HD, has a latency almost the same as the analog systems that have been used the past few years since FPV took off.
Last edited by raneman on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.