Topic Author
Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Golf

Post by Ware »

I searched and surprisingly couldn't find a good thread dedicated to golf, so here it is. :thumbup:

I took a ~20 year hiatus from playing, but recently rediscovered the sport. I'm still not any good, but enjoying getting out and giving it the old college try! :lol:

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Re: Golf

Post by FATC1TY »

Golfer here!

Fully understand the hiatus, I consider golfing a lifetime sport, you can’t get in and out and play for a while.

Before I had kids, I drove around for golf, playing all around the state and SE. Got down to a sub 4 handicap, posted north of 120+ rounds a year.

Was really big into club building, and buying tour issued clubs. That’s an expensive rabbit hole!

Bought new irons about a month to so ago, and going to make an effort to play more than once every few months. Golf course in our neighborhood is pretty solid, and my 3 boys really enjoy swinging clubs with me.

CLT49er
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf
Lawn Size: 4k
Mower: Toro recycler / Earthwise 7 bl

Post by CLT49er »

After a few year hiatus due to young kids, really looking forward to rejoining my Thursday night golf league in May. League seems to be best way for me to keep a regular routine in place.

The_iHenry
Grass Type: Bermuda?
Lawn Size: 3,500 sqft
Mower: Greensmaster 1600

Post by The_iHenry »

Y’all care to share some tips on hitting more GIR?

thelawnpirate
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Tru-Cut P20 & Toro 22”Recycler

Post by thelawnpirate »

The_iHenry wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:05 pm
I always play better and hit more GIR if I convince my ego to "play up a club" on my approach shots. Helps me focus on swing path and ball contact rather than trying to kill it. Once I'm hitting more consistent than I can play "up" less.
< thelawnpirate >

thelawnpirate
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Tru-Cut P20 & Toro 22”Recycler

Post by thelawnpirate »

@Ware Great thread to start. How fun would it be to have regional/city-based TLF golf outings?
< thelawnpirate >

Lawnguy_nnj21
Grass Type: NE mix
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Honda HRR

Post by Lawnguy_nnj21 »

The_iHenry wrote:
Aim at the middle of the greens, not the flag.

Topic Author
Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware »

thelawnpirate wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:03 am
@Ware Great thread to start. How fun would it be to have regional/city-based TLF golf outings?
That's a great idea. The Hometown Discussions subforums would be a great place to gauge interest/organize events like that.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

The_iHenry wrote:
As someone mentioned, don’t go flag hunting. Aim for the biggest portion of the green, or aim where you can miss.

If you struggle with say, losing it out to the right, don’t aim somewhere and miss it short sided, or in a bunker that’s really bad. Aim for the shot, be confident but allow for the miss if you can.

Kallgren
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Jacobsen 522, Craftsman 42”

Post by Kallgren »

I was reading David Peltz "Short Game Bible" this past weekend and some great information in there on why and how to optimize your game around the greens (100 yards and in). His approach on why to focus on the short game is fairly analytical and data driven. Will definitely change how I approach practice.

Tempo, that is where I struggle for the long clubs and full swings. Trying too much to kill the ball.
Here is Bills Backyard Pitch and Putt journal viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15487

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

Got out today, brutal wind, especially off the water on a majority of the holes. Played one up from the tips, around 6780 yard course from those tees.

Hadn’t played in a while, but had some new irons to break in and get used too. Managed an 86 with a +3, +2, +2 finish coming in to the clubhouse. Only a single birdie on a par 5, and had 4 -3putt holes.

Nothing more infuriating than 3 putt pars and bogeys on par 5s.

robbybobby
Lawn Size: 18K
Mower: Toro 3100

Post by robbybobby »

Played in HS with some decent success but i'm far and away better than I was then. `i have a new 7mo old now so that has curbed a lot of my golfing but I manage to get out once every few months. Not much going on in my swing so the game doesn't seem too far off after a long break like that. Played for the first time since late September on Monday - shot 69 from 7,100 yards. Couldn't make anything over 8ft to same my life. Haven't held an official handicap in 6+ years but I would guess i'm scratch on the books. Like @FATC1TY, I still to this day get carried away with some of the gear. I think I have 8 putters now and 4 of them are custom builds.

and i'll mirror @thelawnpirate's comments... Secret to my success is 100% checking the ego at the car door. If I'm hitting a weak fade that day, i'm going to play it instead of fighting it like I used to. I often will pull 1-2 clubs longer than others I play with so I can hit a controlled shot rather than hitting full.

Topic Author
Ware
Site Admin

Post by Ware »

robbybobby wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:23 pm
Played in HS with some decent success but i'm far and away better than I was then. `i have a new 7mo old now so that has curbed a lot of my golfing but I manage to get out once every few months. Not much going on in my swing so the game doesn't seem too far off after a long break like that. Played for the first time since late September on Monday - shot 69 from 7,100 yards. Couldn't make anything over 8ft to same my life. Haven't held an official handicap in 6+ years but I would guess i'm scratch on the books. Like @FATC1TY, I still to this day get carried away with some of the gear. I think I have 8 putters now and 4 of them are custom builds.

and i'll mirror @thelawnpirate's comments... Secret to my success is 100% checking the ego at the car door. If I'm hitting a weak fade that day, i'm going to play it instead of fighting it like I used to. I often will pull 1-2 clubs longer than others I play with so I can hit a controlled shot rather than hitting full.
Congrats on being among the top 1%! That’s quite the achievement!