Aircraft Pilots

How you relax when the work is done
goneflying87
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1,300
Mower: TORO RECYCLER

Aircraft Pilots

Post by goneflying87 »

Anyone here that fly recreational or commercial aircraft? What were your most memorable times as a student or memorable flight?

I learned on a 1972 Cessna 172-L Skyhawk; did not wanted to do glass cockpit; really liked old school steam gauges.

Most memorable flight, Aircraft Cessna 172 (N4415R)a.k.a "Air Force One" due to the colors:
We took of from the San Fernando Valley heading West to the coast; mission was to practice touch and go's (my favorite maneuver). My instructor decided to practice some steep turns; VOR interception; stalls; and unusual recoveries. At the time we were a bit North of the airport when I hear control tower call out "Cessna 15R, traffic on your 11 o clock crossing to your 1, report once you have sight" bam! Spotted the traffic it was a C-130 going to Point Mugu Naval base. After that instructor decided to practice a few touch and go's; we were on base and next thing I notice a P-51 Mustang flying passing under us! and must admit I was so happy to see those bird near me in the air! The aircraft I was flying did had small oval windows on top of the ceiling; we were flying back to base where we encounter a Fedex A300 Flying West bound over us and we were heading East about 2,500 ft part from each other. Must admit that was one of my favorite flights; in fact the same aircraft was my first cross country solo I did in. It was on a hot Summer evening in where the aircraft was over heating but still managed to complete the flight.

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Re: Aircraft Pilots

Post by pennstater2005 »

@dfw_pilot
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Post by dfw_pilot »

Cool thread. I’ve got some buddies on the FX A300 . . . and plenty of memorable flights. I’ll get back to this thread when I have more time.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Ylli
Grass Type: hodge podge
Lawn Size: 18,000 sq ft
Mower: older Simplicity Regent

Post by Ylli »

Commercial/CFI, but have been inactive for 20+ years. Have time in everything from a Piper cub to a Stearman (PT-17) to Cessna 150/152/172/177/182/210/310/340/421, Citabria, Beech Baron & Debonair. Have a couple minutes left seat time in a KingAir.

Don't know if I could pass the medical any more, but I am tempted to try.
Last edited by Ylli on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Post by 440mag »

I don’t fly (but I am the son of a Navy Hellcat pilot, may he RIP!) although I saw this on another (shooters’) forums and thought of y’all:

There is a runway in New Hampshire (NOT Mass. :-) with designations ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT

The missed approach waypoint caps it off.

Last edited by 440mag on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: KBG, FF, PRG.
Lawn Size: 12.5 ksqft
Mower: 21" Murray, manual push, B&S

Post by ken-n-nancy »

440mag wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 pm
I don’t fly (but I am the son of a Navy Hellcat pilot, may he RIP!) although I saw this on another (shooters’) forums and thought of y’all:

There is a runway in Massachusetts with designations ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT

The missed approach waypoint caps it off.

That's a good one to mention here!

Except it's actually in New Hampshire. The waypoints are associated with the old Pease AFB, which is now known as "Pease International Tradeport."

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Post by 440mag »

Good catch, thanks (thumbs Up!) initial post edited! :-)
Last edited by 440mag on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

CFI
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 25k
Mower: Craftsman 46"

Post by CFI »

I fly for a major airline but the most interesting flight I've done lately was a 45 minute intro flight as a student in a 172 on floats. Now that is fun!

FlyMike
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 4200 sqft
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by FlyMike »

Just stumbled across this thread, very cool. Never would have guessed there to be this many pilots on this forum.
Last edited by FlyMike on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ylli
Grass Type: hodge podge
Lawn Size: 18,000 sq ft
Mower: older Simplicity Regent

Post by Ylli »

CFI wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 am
I fly for a major airline but the most interesting flight I've done lately was a 45 minute intro flight as a student in a 172 on floats. Now that is fun!
Later, you'll have to try skis.

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 »

CFI wrote:

Majority of the airline pilots tell me the best times of their flight careers were when they were students. Show up for your lesson not knowing what you are expecting for that day. Other than that been a commercial pilot is pretty much repetitive lol.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin

Post by dfw_pilot »

One of my best memories as a pilot in training was my first solo flight. I was in a C-172 and I had a really large instructor. He got out on the taxiway and told me: "This thing is going to climb like a homesick angel with me out of here." I shot off, headed around the patch, and as I came back in on final approach, I felt this overwhelming sense of calm, like: "How cool is this?" I landed and taxied back up to my instructor, who said to look over there - he pointed over to the parking lot where my parents sat in the car. He had invited them to come watch but no one told me so as to not make me nervous. It was a great day. I was 16.

A couple years later at Purdue, I lost two friends in a crash during a multi-engine training accident. I also lost a friend who crashed in Dubai flying UPS 6. Those are humble reminders that life is precious and you always have to be ready.

Lots of great experiences flying at the airlines. I've been blessed to see the Thunderbirds pass over me flying to an airshow in formation, saw the Concord landing at JFK, and had to make a turn to stay a safe distance away from Air Force One descending into Boston. Watching the sun rise over the South China sea with thunderstorms starting to build is glorious. Cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Johannesburg, and Shanghai are awesome when you have a long overnight.

It's also pretty wild to be out over the Pacific on a moonless night. Spin the map range up to 600+ miles and not see an airport anywhere. In cases like that, if trouble occurs, it won't end well. At the same time, there are more stars to be seen than anywhere else I can think of. It's truly amazing and I get a front row seat to see how small we really are out in the universe. There is truly nothing I'd rather do than fly, and it's been God's gift that I am able to have a job I really love.

dfw (Boeing or I aint going)

Bug smashers | Saab 340 | Embraer 145 | 727 Panel | 747 | 757

FlyMike

Post by FlyMike »

All of the "firsts" for me have been very memorable, first solo, first checkride, first flights to new places, etc. It's hard for me to pick just one. Abnormal events have always been memorable for me too, no matter how big or small the event was, they always stick with me.

CFI
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 25k
Mower: Craftsman 46"

Post by CFI »

goneflying87 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm
CFI wrote:

Majority of the airline pilots tell me the best times of their flight careers were when they were students. Show up for your lesson not knowing what you are expecting for that day. Other than that been a commercial pilot is pretty much repetitive lol.

For me it was my time as a GA instructor that was the most enjoyable. The flying at a small airport was varried and it was fun to see and fly in lots of different models of planes. Hanging out in the FBO or outside at a picnic table with a cup of coffee or a Coke talking with the old timers was invaluable and a great way to pass the day. And watching someone go from zero experience to solo to their private ticket was very rewarding.

Maybe I'll do it again someday in retirement.

CFI
Saab 340, CRJ200, Embraer 190, Airbus 320

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 »

dfw_pilot wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 am
One of my best memories as a pilot in training was my first solo flight. I was in a C-172 and I had a really large instructor. He got out on the taxiway and told me: "This thing is going to climb like a homesick angel with me out of here." I shot off, headed around the patch, and as I came back in on final approach, I felt this overwhelming sense of calm, like: "How cool is this?" I landed and taxied back up to my instructor, who said to look over there - he pointed over to the parking lot where my parents sat in the car. He had invited them to come watch but no one told me so as to not make me nervous. It was a great day. I was 16.

A couple years later at Purdue, I lost two friends in a crash during a multi-engine training accident. I also lost a friend who crashed in Dubai flying UPS 6. Those are humble reminders that life is precious and you always have to be ready.

Lots of great experiences flying at the airlines. I've been blessed to see the Thunderbirds pass over me flying to an airshow in formation, saw the Concord landing at JFK, and had to make a turn to stay a safe distance away from Air Force One descending into Boston. Watching the sun rise over the South China sea with thunderstorms starting to build is glorious. Cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Johannesburg, and Shanghai are awesome when you have a long overnight.

It's also pretty wild to be out over the Pacific on a moonless night. Spin the map range up to 600+ miles and not see an airport anywhere. In cases like that, if trouble occurs, it won't end well. At the same time, there are more stars to be seen than anywhere else I can think of. It's truly amazing and I get a front row seat to see how small we really are out in the universe. There is truly nothing I'd rather do than fly, and it's been God's gift that I am able to have a job I really love.

dfw (Boeing or I aint going)

Bug smashers | Saab 340 | Embraer 145 | 727 Panel | 747 | 757
I am sorry for your lost of your friends; I remember my first solo on a Cessna 172 it was White with Yellow stripes. I clearly remember my instructor telling me "ok you will be doing your first cross country solo; one issue thou is that the aircraft engine tends to overheat. I added extra oil so you should be good. If it starts to over heat on the climb just level out let the engine cool and then climb again. If you have to report it tower" It was a really stressful 77.3 nm flight one way and then another 77.3 nm way back. First and last time I got that aircraft to do my solo flights. Initially I was suppose to do it a few weeks earlier with the same aircraft but the radios were acting up and decided not to fly at all!!!!

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 »

These were one of the aircrafts in the fleet that I love to fly; it was nice solid and reliable. The second picture was when I was coming back from Bakerfield airport to Whiteman airport (77.3nm) flight.

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 »

FlyMike wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am
All of the "firsts" for me have been very memorable, first solo, first checkride, first flights to new places, etc. It's hard for me to pick just one. Abnormal events have always been memorable for me too, no matter how big or small the event was, they always stick with me.

I still remember landing on my first uncontrol airfield near Santa Barbara, Ca I was reading the directory for departure instructions. I remember clearly reading about gliders in the vicinity but the most surprise was about livestock been around the airport. I remember once crossing over the mountains I started to observe the airport from far away to see if I can spot any livestock that will impede the landing lol. One the way we were able to see thunderstorm about 40 miles away from us; we were transitioning from the Valley to Point Mugu which clearly told us that the radar service was terminated due to maintenance on one of the antennas. The only option was to climb higher (we will be violating VFR rules due to ceiling distance from the aircraft) or continue on our own discretion; which we proceeded with no VFR flight following. Hit some really good turbulence category 2.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin

Post by dfw_pilot »

goneflying87 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm
And the love affair begins . . .

FlyMike

Post by FlyMike »

goneflying87 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm
FlyMike wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am

I still remember landing on my first uncontrol airfield near Santa Barbara, Ca I was reading the directory for departure instructions. I remember clearly reading about gliders in the vicinity but the most surprise was about livestock been around the airport. I remember once crossing over the mountains I started to observe the airport from far away to see if I can spot any livestock that will impede the landing lol. One the way we were able to see thunderstorm about 40 miles away from us; we were transitioning from the Valley to Point Mugu which clearly told us that the radar service was terminated due to maintenance on one of the antennas. The only option was to climb higher (we will be violating VFR rules due to ceiling distance from the aircraft) or continue on our own discretion; which we proceeded with no VFR flight following. Hit some really good turbulence category 2.
Gliders are sneaky, it's hard to notice them until you're real close to them. Same thing with skydivers. I used to buzz around in a C-182 doing fire patrol for the Georgia Forestry Commission and got a little closer to them than I personally would have liked to.
Last edited by FlyMike on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goneflying87

Post by goneflying87 »

dfw_pilot wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm
goneflying87 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm
And the love affair begins . . .
This was my most favorite aircraft to fly; I nicknamed it Air Force One due to the colors.