How you relax when the work is done
Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Pellet Grills

Post by Ware » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:09 am

That's a tough question - I have cooked on a lot of different grills, using a lot of different fuels, and they all have their pros/cons.

I don't think there is anything cheaper about running a pellet grill - especially if you're feeding it quality pellets.

For quick weeknight cooks I prefer the convenience of my gas grill, but it's hard to beat the wood-fired taste I get from my pellet grill.

If you plan on doing a lot of smoking or slow roasting, a pellet grill will outperform the gas grill.

So I guess my best advice would be to just get both. :lol:

Carrie-Waltz
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1/8-acre
Mower: no

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Jconnelly6b wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:42 am
What do you like to do on the grill? What foods will you primarily be cooking?
We mostly grill fish and burgers

Carrie-Waltz
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1/8-acre
Mower: no

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 am

People in my area mostly use gas grills, I also have small electic grill
Last edited by Carrie-Waltz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

dfw_pilot
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000 ft²
Mower: Sigh, back to rotary.

Post by dfw_pilot » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Carrie-Waltz wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 am
Only a guess, but in the cold north, an BGE/Kamodo or gas grill would use less energy to stay up to temperature over a pellet grill.
The Bermuda Triangle | Sprayer Wand | Invest for Retirement | PWS
- A clear conscience is a great pillow -

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Post by Babaganoosh » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

dfw_pilot wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Carrie-Waltz wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 am
Only a guess, but in the cold north, an BGE/Kamodo or gas grill would use less energy to stay up to temperature over a pellet grill.
They make blankets for the pellet grills for when you use it in cold weather.

bp2878
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cent mix, reno to Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 17,000 sqft
Mower: X350, C25, 220b

Post by bp2878 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:02 pm

My original treagar. Bought when they first came out with pellet grills.Took the legs off and made this counter top and cabinet. Want to upgrade to a rec tec, but this one has served me well and I'll use it until it breaks down. Once you get a pellet grill, you will not want anything else.

ctrav
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Post by ctrav » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:52 pm

bp2878 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:02 pm
My original treagar. Bought when they first came out with pellet grills.Took the legs off and made this counter top and cabinet. Want to upgrade to a rec tec, but this one has served me well and I'll use it until it breaks down. Once you get a pellet grill, you will not want anything else.

That is absolutely awesome! Any tips and tricks to pellet cooking you care to share? I’m new to pellet and always looking to learn. Thanks...
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

bp2878
TLF Supporter

Post by bp2878 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm

ctrav wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:52 pm
bp2878 wrote:

That is absolutely awesome! Any tips and tricks to pellet cooking you care to share? I’m new to pellet and always looking to learn. Thanks...

I think a great accessory to any smoker is a good cooler. Yeti, artic, one of those types. When I smoke something low and slow, like a butt, or brisket, it really makes all the difference to let it cool super slow in a high quality cooler. My butts take about 20 hours to cook. 8 on pellet grill, another 6 or so in the oven wrapped in foil, then straight to the cooler for another 5 or 6 hours. It ends up full of moisture, not dry at all. I like the flavor of the meat rather than sauce, so not having to add moisture back to it via sauce lets the meat sing. Also check out the 3-2-1 method for ribs. 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours in the oven wrapped in foil with braising liquid(I like unfiltered pure apple juice, like martinelies brand and butter), then 1 hour back on grill basting with sauce every 10 minutes. You can play with the temps to get hour preferred texture and doneness. I love my pellet grill, everything taste so much better on it. I use the cheaper pit boss pellets rather than the traeger brand. They are 15$ for 40lbs rather than 20$ for 20lbs. I used the expensive ones for years before switching to these and honestly can't tell the difference.

ctrav
TLF Supporter

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am

bp2878 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm
ctrav wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:52 pm
bp2878 wrote:

I think a great accessory to any smoker is a good cooler. Yeti, artic, one of those types. When I smoke something low and slow, like a butt, or brisket, it really makes all the difference to let it cool super slow in a high quality cooler. My butts take about 20 hours to cook. 8 on pellet grill, another 6 or so in the oven wrapped in foil, then straight to the cooler for another 5 or 6 hours. It ends up full of moisture, not dry at all. I like the flavor of the meat rather than sauce, so not having to add moisture back to it via sauce lets the meat sing. Also check out the 3-2-1 method for ribs. 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours in the oven wrapped in foil with braising liquid(I like unfiltered pure apple juice, like martinelies brand and butter), then 1 hour back on grill basting with sauce every 10 minutes. You can play with the temps to get hour preferred texture and doneness. I love my pellet grill, everything taste so much better on it. I use the cheaper pit boss pellets rather than the traeger brand. They are 15$ for 40lbs rather than 20$ for 20lbs. I used the expensive ones for years before switching to these and honestly can't tell the difference.
Thanks for the feedback...
- what temps do you shoot for on the pellet grill for butts and brisket
- on my weber smoker I found that 3 hours at around 250 degrees worked well for 3 slabs of baby backs vs the 3-2-1 method...perhaps because baby backs cook quicker
- I bought the trigger pellets from Costco (33# for $20) and also found 20# bag of Pitt boss for $10

Question - say Im going to smoke something at 250 degrees, do I turn on the pellet grill and set temp at 250 or should I initially set the grill for a higher temp like 400 to get started and then set the cook temp?
MY JOURNAL

Dawgvet
Grass Type: Fescue (Front)/ Zoysia(Back)
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Fiskars reel/Troybilt rotary

Post by Dawgvet » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

ctrav wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am

Question - say Im going to smoke something at 250 degrees, do I turn on the pellet grill and set temp at 250 or should I initially set the grill for a higher temp like 400 to get started and then set the cook temp?
If you are smoking (not grilling) you set the desired smoking temp. Think of it this way, a lower temp allows the pellets to smolder (more smoke). A higher temp "burns" through the pellets (less smoke) to maintain the higher temps. So, you would just be wasting a lot of pellets to go up to 400 and then come down. I can attain a constant 225 F in mine in about 10 to 15 min.
I've even seen some people recommend adding the meat as soon as you turn on the smoker (before attaining temp) since that is when it creates the most smoke and you are not "wasting" that smoke. Part of me is very hesitant to do that though. :lol:

chrismar
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 22,000 SF
Mower: Bobcat 36" Walk Behind

Post by chrismar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 am

I've been seeing an ad for a crowd funded "Z Grill" on my facebook feed, recently:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z-gr ... llet-grill

Has anyone ever heard of it? I've been exploring pellet grills to replace my WSM, and this looks like a decent prospect.

edit: the forum seems to be trying to show this inline, and it's failing. Here's an alternate:

Z-Grill on Indiegogo
Last edited by chrismar on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Bewitched, Prosperity, Midnight KBG / Back: JG "Black Beauty" TTTF (Lawn Journal)

Jconnelly6b
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm

I've seen them online as well, mostly on facebook. I think they are pushing them hard.

I just bought the Camp Chef Slide and Grill a few weeks ago to replace my charcoal weber and have the ability to smoke. It does both grilling and smoking extremely well, and was in stock at Dicks in S. Plainfield and I picked it up the same day.

Camp Chef has the ability to pull the deflector heat shield away from the firebox while the unit is operating, so you can smoke and then pull the lever to reverse sear. I'm pretty sure most of the others you have to take that shield out before you start cooking. Also the ash cleanout system is just emptying a cup at the bottom.

So far I have smoked salmon and chicken, and grilled burgers and chicken. All have been impressive.
Last edited by Jconnelly6b on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericgautier
Grass Type: F: Blueberry Mono B: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: eXmark Metro HP 48", Toro SR4

Post by ericgautier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Jconnelly6b wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm

So far I have smoked salmon and chicken, and grilled burgers and chicken. All have been impressive.
Pics or it didn't happen. :lol: :thumbup:
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2016 - Front & sides: Blueberry Monostand
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

ctrav
TLF Supporter

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Dawgvet wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am
ctrav wrote:

If you are smoking (not grilling) you set the desired smoking temp. Think of it this way, a lower temp allows the pellets to smolder (more smoke). A higher temp "burns" through the pellets (less smoke) to maintain the higher temps. So, you would just be wasting a lot of pellets to go up to 400 and then come down. I can attain a constant 225 F in mine in about 10 to 15 min.
I've even seen some people recommend adding the meat as soon as you turn on the smoker (before attaining temp) since that is when it creates the most smoke and you are not "wasting" that smoke. Part of me is very hesitant to do that though. :lol:
Thanks...
MY JOURNAL

Jconnelly6b
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm

This mixed bag was the first time running it with okay results. Ended up overcooking the burgers but they tasted delicious.

These chicken leg quarters were over the weekend, and quite possibly the best chicken I’ve ever had. Smoked at 250F for 2 hours, then pulled the heat shield and crisped up the skin for 5 mins. Used Rufus Teague dry rub liberally before they went on.

Last edited by Jconnelly6b on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bp2878
TLF Supporter

Post by bp2878 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Dawgvet wrote:
ctrav wrote:

I put the meat on, then turn on the smoker when doing a long cook like a butt. Not to achieve more smoke, but only out of laziness. I only have to walk out there once. The extra smoke is minimal, the grill only smokes heavily for about a minute or so. When doing a short cook, I will let it get up to temp then put the food on. You will find you get better smoke around 160-180. 250 is a little hot for slow cooking. Ill do 225 when smoking a turkey or chicken, but for a butt or brisket, as slow and low as possible. You only have up until 145 until the smoke stops influencing the flavor, after that, you may as well put it in the oven to obtain your done temp.

ctrav
TLF Supporter

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm

bp2878 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:25 pm
Dawgvet wrote:
ctrav wrote:

I put the meat on, then turn on the smoker when doing a long cook like a butt. Not to achieve more smoke, but only out of laziness. I only have to walk out there once. The extra smoke is minimal, the grill only smokes heavily for about a minute or so. When doing a short cook, I will let it get up to temp then put the food on. You will find you get better smoke around 160-180. 250 is a little hot for slow cooking. Ill do 225 when smoking a turkey or chicken, but for a butt or brisket, as slow and low as possible. You only have up until 145 until the smoke stops influencing the flavor, after that, you may as well put it in the oven to obtain your done temp.
Thanks...
MY JOURNAL

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Jconnelly6b wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm
This mixed bag was the first time running it with okay results. Ended up overcooking the burgers but they tasted delicious.

These chicken leg quarters were over the weekend, and quite possibly the best chicken I’ve ever had. Smoked at 250F for 2 hours, then pulled the heat shield and crisped up the skin for 5 mins. Used Rufus Teague dry rub liberally before they went on.
Those look damn good! :thumbup:
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations
2014 - Backyard: TTTF (Bullseye, Turbo, Hemi, Falcon V & Faith) +KBG (Bewitched, Blueberry & Prosperity)

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:19 pm

ctrav wrote:

- on my weber smoker I found that 3 hours at around 250 degrees worked well for 3 slabs of baby backs vs the 3-2-1 method...perhaps because baby backs cook quicker
- I bought the trigger pellets from Costco (33# for $20) and also found 20# bag of Pitt boss for $10

Do you have a temperature probe that you can set on the grate itself? I found that to be useful because grate temp seems to be hotter than what is displayed on the controller (could just be my pellet grill). IE: If I set controller to 180... grate temp was around 225. If you have a second shelf, the temperature on that could be different as well.

I would start at a lower temp actually. It is easier to bump up the temp than lower in down. So, if you want 250 grate temp, start the pellet grill at 180 or so.
2019 Lawn Journal
Renovations

ctrav
TLF Supporter

Post by ctrav » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 pm

ericgautier wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:19 pm
ctrav wrote:

Do you have a temperature probe that you can set on the grate itself? I found that to be useful because grate temp seems to be hotter than what is displayed on the controller (could just be my pellet grill). IE: If I set controller to 180... grate temp was around 225. If you have a second shelf, the temperature on that could be different as well.

I would start at a lower temp actually. It is easier to bump up the temp than lower in down. So, if you want 250 grate temp, start the pellet grill at 180 or so.
Great idea as I do have a probe!!
MY JOURNAL