Shade Tolerance of grass types

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
gm560
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: Toro Recycler 22 in.

Shade Tolerance of grass types

Post by gm560 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 am

Hey Guys. Hoping someone out there might be an NTEP results expert that could possibly answer a question I have had for a while. I have reviewed some NTEP results (as well as the ones parsed by SSS), especially in the area of shade tolerance. I understand the conventional wisdom is KBG does not like shade. In shade you should probably go the route of tall fescue, or even fine fescue as they are more shade tolerant. However one cultivar in particular, which I included in my fall reno, Mazama, appears to have the same or even superior shade scores to many fine fescue varieties. Am I looking at these correctly? Are the numbers between grass types apples to apples? Are there other factors (like competing with trees for water) that makes fine fescue superior in real life shady lawns, or can I expect Mazama to be the miracle grass it appears to be by the numbers.

Mazama stat sheet at SSS:
https://www.seedsuperstore.com/stat-she ... @ss-mazama

Movingshrub
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Re: Shade Tolerance of grass types

Post by Movingshrub » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 am

I'd asked a similar question in May and didn't really get much traction.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2810

j4c11
Grass Type: Turf Blue HGT
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

I don't know that you can compare scores across grass types and draw any meaningful conclusion. For example, a Bermuda cultivar which gets a drought tolerance score of 6 will still beat the carp out of a fescue cultivar with a drought tolerance score of 9 in the summer heat.

gm560
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: Toro Recycler 22 in.

Post by gm560 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 am

j4c11 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am
I don't know that you can compare scores across grass types and draw any meaningful conclusion. For example, a Bermuda cultivar which gets a drought tolerance score of 6 will still beat the carp out of a fescue cultivar with a drought tolerance score of 9 in the summer heat.
Ok thats exactly what I was looking for. So the score is relative to its peers (it other cultivars of the same type) vs absolute across all grass types.

Dang... I was hoping Mazama would be as good as FF in the shade, but guessing that is likely a pipedream.