Kill Triv before good grass wakes up fully?

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Kill Triv before good grass wakes up fully?

Post by Green » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Anyone used glyphosate on Triv before all of your good grass resumes growth in late Winter or early Spring?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

KHARPS
Grass Type: Kbg
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda, JD 260sl

Re: Kill Triv before good grass wakes up fully?

Post by KHARPS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question but would you mind posting a few pictures of what your triv is looking like this time of year?

Green

Post by Green » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm

KHARPS wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm
Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question but would you mind posting a few pictures of what your triv is looking like this time of year?
Sure, I can do that. I'll edit this post later and post a picture taken today. It's actually not easy to spot this time of year. but I knew where it was from the Fall.

Here's the photo. Can you spot the Triv? Hint: it's in the center:
Last edited by Green on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

sam
Grass Type: TT Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: B&D Rotary, Fiskar Reel

Post by sam » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I plan to try this too, so I am subscribing in the hope that someone comments from experience.

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Glyphosate is temperature dependent, meaning it won’t be effective in cold weather.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

^ + the target plant needs to be growing to absorb it. I haven't noticed poa t getting out of dormancy ahead of the rest of my lawn.

Green

Post by Green » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 pm

g-man wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm
I haven't noticed poa t getting out of dormancy ahead of the rest of my lawn.
I have. Not yet. It's too early. But in a few weeks it'll start.

KHARPS
Grass Type: Kbg
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda, JD 260sl

Post by KHARPS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 am

@Green you’re right, it’s not easy to spot in the picture unless you were looking for it. It doesn’t appear to be too large of an area. What about cutting it out and dormant seeding?

Suburban Jungle Life
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am

Consider giving the glyphosate the best chance it has with AMS in the tank, checking the PH to be sure it is under 6 but 5 is great. Adding citric acid to reduce it further if needed, agitating the mixture thoroughly and then lastly adding the glyphosate.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 am

KHARPS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 am
@Green you’re right, it’s not easy to spot in the picture unless you were looking for it. It doesn’t appear to be too large of an area. What about cutting it out and dormant seeding?
Not right now, but in a few weeks, maybe. Actually, that patch might wait a while, until I can reseed without mud issues. It's the largest one I have to deal with, and may be 3 feet square by the time I get to it. Also have a number of smaller areas.
Last edited by Green on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

Suburban Jungle Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am
Consider giving the glyphosate the best chance it has with AMS in the tank, checking the PH to be sure it is under 6 but 5 is great. Adding citric acid to reduce it further if needed, agitating the mixture thoroughly and then lastly adding the glyphosate.
I know we've been through this before, but still a few questions. What do you recommend using to check the pH?

Suburban Jungle Life
Grass Type: TTTF, FF, Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Spinning Machete

Post by Suburban Jungle Life » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

Green wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am
Suburban Jungle Life wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am
I know we've been through this before, but still a few questions. What do you recommend using to check the pH?
I use this.

Miggity
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Post by Miggity » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Those cheap electronic pH meters are great, but be aware that if the probe ever dries off they are no longer close to accurate. I use cheap pH strips for occasional use either for aquarium or health use.

Green

Post by Green » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Anyone ever added Tenacity into your glyphosate mixture for this purpose? I don't mind doing it if it might improve the kill.

trick
Grass Type: TTTF mix
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: JD E130

Post by trick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm

I have several patches that look like this in my yard

fusebox7
Grass Type: KBG - Award, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 7500 sq ft
Mower: Tru-Cut H20 Honda HRX217HYA

Post by fusebox7 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

It's a good question and/or experiment but pragmatically speaking... if you want to get rid of it dig it out and be done with it. Throw some PRG in the spring and "instapatch" :) If you're just looking to perform a chemical experiment... ooook then. :?

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Green wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm
Anyone ever added Tenacity into your glyphosate mixture for this purpose? I don't mind doing it if it might improve the kill.
I’ve thought about this in the past and I’m glad you posted the question. I wonder if the chemical interaction would increase the effectiveness of either of the products.

Green

Post by Green » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm
It's a good question and/or experiment but pragmatically speaking... if you want to get rid of it dig it out and be done with it. Throw some PRG in the spring and "instapatch" :) If you're just looking to perform a chemical experiment... ooook then. :?
@fusebox7, are you implying the glyphosate isn't necessary?

On a side note, I've always wondered, if you spray KBG, won't it translocate through the rhizomes and kill more than you intend outside the area sprayed?
Last edited by Green on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Green wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm
I’ve thought about this in the past and I’m glad you posted the question. I wonder if the chemical interaction would increase the effectiveness of either of the products.
Yeah, I got the idea from @Greendoc/@social port/@Delmarva Keith/@Movingshrub's "soul stealer".
Last edited by Green on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Green wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm
fusebox7 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm
@fusebox7, are you implying the glyphosate isn't necessary?

On a side note, I've always wondered, if you spray KBG, won't it translocate through the rhizomes and kill more than you intend outside the area sprayed?
What were the outcomes that you noticed? Did it speed up the effects of glypho when tenacity was added?