Q'S ON TTTF

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
airgas1998
Grass Type: kbg,prg
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: toro super recycler

Q'S ON TTTF

Post by airgas1998 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am

just checking that this means desirable fescue and not some garbage stuff like k31. the stuff I would buy originates from Oregon with 3 or so selective cultivars. I just don't want to be stuck with ugly wide bladed fescue.

Jconnelly6b
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Re: Q'S ON TTTF

Post by Jconnelly6b » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am

Did you forget to attach a picture? What cultivars are you asking about? What type of seed?

I'm not sure what your question is.

grasscorrection
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: Blade Mower

Post by grasscorrection » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am

I understand the question BUT how can a seed company guarantee the germination rate? There are so many factors that go into growing seed. I'd look at something from SeedSuperstore.
Last edited by grasscorrection on Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

airgas1998

Post by airgas1998 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

guess I don't see where I said anything about a company guaranteeing the germ rate..... anyway at my local store they have some cloth bag that says turf type tall fescue. in looking at the tag it has 3 types of tttf (sorry I don't know the names right now) zero inert crop and weeds and it's origin is Oregon. my question is this a safe bet that it won't be wide bladed stuff like Kentucky 31 fescue, or no way until I give the cultivars names?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 am

Yes, TTTF is a narrower blade in general. You might get a few seeds that produce wider blades; that's normal.

0 weed and other crop is what you want. It doesn't guarantee there's no contamination, but it's hard to do any better.

How much are you paying per lb?
Last edited by Green on Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

airgas1998

Post by airgas1998 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 am

about $3

ksturfguy
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20,000 sqft
Mower: Gravely Pro-Stance

Post by ksturfguy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 am

Yes it will be more desirable fescue, the bag would say K31 if thats what it was. Obviously the exact cultivators would tell us how good it is but im sure it will be fine.

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am

I think his question is why people call it 'turf type' tall fescue instead of simply tall fescue. The only non 'turf type' I'm aware of is KY 31. What other non-turf types are available for purchase through traditional channels?

airgas1998

Post by airgas1998 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

yep I just didn't want tttf sticking out like a sore thumb if it had the chance looking like k31. to me it's undesirable in a fescue,prg,kbg lawn.

grasscorrection
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: Blade Mower

Post by grasscorrection » Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm

airgas1998 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am
guess I don't see where I said anything about a company guaranteeing the germ rate..... anyway at my local store they have some cloth bag that says turf type tall fescue. in looking at the tag it has 3 types of tttf (sorry I don't know the names right now) zero inert crop and weeds and it's origin is Oregon. my question is this a safe bet that it won't be wide bladed stuff like Kentucky 31 fescue, or no way until I give the cultivars names?
The bags do

The Anti-Rebel
Grass Type: Every Type
Lawn Size: 1.63 Acres
Mower: Toro Timecutter

Post by The Anti-Rebel » Wed May 15, 2019 12:40 pm

grasscorrection wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am
I understand the question BUT how can a seed company guarantee the germination rate? There are so many factors that go into growing seed. I'd look at something from SeedSuperstore.
They test a sample. There should also be a test date on the tag.

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen » Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 pm

airgas1998 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am
I would not get caught up on 'turf type' language. As far as I know, there is no non-turf type tall fescue even available other than KY 31. I had 50 pound bags of Essential, Bullseye and Coshise straight from the manufacturer with original labeling. One or two of them said just tall fescue and the other 'turf type'. These three are all elite, highly rated NTEP cultivars yet not all of them said 'turf type'. You can look at the very end of the youtube video I did on "does dimension affect tall fescue seedlings" if you want to see the bags for yourself.

The question really is what are the standards for calling something turf type vs simply tall fescue and who regulates that usage. I think we would find this is all about marketing but maybe someone can point us to who regulates this language and what is the criteria.