mribbens
Grass Type: KGB/PR
Lawn Size: 9,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Timemaster/Fiskars reel

Re: 2019 Sunset Review

Post by mribbens »

MassHole wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:17 pm
Attack your POA triv and orchardgrass in steps. One section at a time, and doing a bit every week you can let your KBG fill in.

PGR is strong but must be used carefully... Use fungicides early and consistently, and don't use PGR when the grass is going to seed.
Can you discuss why no PGR when grass is going to seed? Seedheads?

mribbens
Grass Type: KGB/PR
Lawn Size: 9,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Timemaster/Fiskars reel

Post by mribbens »

2019 started off great, included PGR into my arsenal and it was a game changer. I had a horrible fall, nearly 8 inches of rain in September near Chicago that led to fungus everywhere while I was under regulation followed by a crummy Oct, snow on Halloween, and cold and grey in November. 2020 will be less input besides PGR and preventative fungicide program.

MassHole
Grass Type: KBG - Midnight
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: Toro Timecutter 5500

Post by MassHole »

mribbens wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:21 am
MassHole wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:17 pm
Attack your POA triv and orchardgrass in steps. One section at a time, and doing a bit every week you can let your KBG fill in.

PGR is strong but must be used carefully... Use fungicides early and consistently, and don't use PGR when the grass is going to seed.
Can you discuss why no PGR when grass is going to seed? Seedheads?
Correct. The seed heads will stay below the HOC and you'll be stuck with a brownish look for 3+ weeks.

NewLawnJon
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 13,000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Post by NewLawnJon »

Last year I learned less is more when it comes to PGR, and going reel low shows all the imperfections in the lawn and everything below it.

DiggingHoles
Grass Type: PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by DiggingHoles »

Using cheap seed costs more in the long run. Buy high quality seed and don’t expect perfection. Aerial drone shots will show ALL of the imperfections in your lawn. Also, the best way I’ve discovered to kill thistles is a product called Milestone. Worked perfectly on 50 acres of prairie land and my yard.
Last edited by DiggingHoles on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vtx531
Grass Type: Mix
Lawn Size: 18500
Mower: Toro 42” Zeroturn rotary

Post by Vtx531 »

1. Spring preemergent is key to having my lawn look nice. 2018 I skipped and by the end of summer it was overrun by crabgrass. This year I did split apps Apr 15 and May 15 - no crabgrass.

2. Pick a mowing height and stick with it all season.
Lawn journal please comment - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11321

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: JD LA120, Gardena 380Li

Post by Gilley11 »

Vtx531 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 am
1. Spring preemergent is key to having my lawn look nice. 2018 I skipped and by the end of summer it was overrun by crabgrass. This year I did split apps Apr 15 and May 15 - no crabgrass.

2. Pick a mowing height and stick with it all season.
Why stick with a certain HOC?

quattljl
Grass Type: TTTF/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6k front/5k back
Mower: Toro Recycler

Post by quattljl »

I have both, cool and warm season grasses in my lawn. Here are some takeaways.

Cool Season Lessons
  • Spring time is great, minus all the mowing (which I wasn't used to)
  • Some type of automated irrigation is key when you live in the transition zone, bordering the warm season zone.
  • "Let it go dormant" isn't a good strategy for disease control, especially with almost daily afternoon/evening showers.
  • Pre-emergent isn't optional, but it's tough to get down when you must constantly reseed or over seed a patchy lawn.
Warm Season Lessons
  • Anything short of full sun makes it hard to grow Bermuda. There were some areas I actually saw regress in terms of coverage after seeding them this spring.
  • Crab grass is a pain in the *** to go after post-emergently, especially if it's been previously unchecked. Having to go out about once a week to spray the new sprouts got old after awhile.

Vtx531
Grass Type: Mix
Lawn Size: 18500
Mower: Toro 42” Zeroturn rotary

Post by Vtx531 »

Gilley11 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm
Why stick with a certain HOC?
Last season, I would mow and think, gee it looked darker green and better before I mowed. So next time, I raise the height 1/2” and it would look good for a while then same problem. Raise the height another 1/2”, etc. Eventually it gets too tall and shaggy, loses its density. So I think, I need to mow lower again. When I mow lower, it really loses its color. If you are too extreme, it cuts off most the green leaf blades and only thing left is brown stems. That takes months to fill back in...cant have the grass looking bad for months..so I need to raise the height again to keep it from looking brown and then I’m back at the same problem.

I think it comes down to a basic principle that the roots/leaf need to be in a proper ratio. The plant will do this on it’s own and if you change the HOC it messes this up.
Lawn journal please comment - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11321

FuzzeWuzze
Grass Type: F: Mazama, B:Mazama/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Yard Machines 21" Rotary

Post by FuzzeWuzze »

That if you dont deal with Poa Triv with the most aggressive means possible(Glypho) when its new, you'll pay for it in the end. I tried being cute with heavy and repeated doses of Tenacity, and it did die back but always came back. Now its probably 5x as large as it was Summer of 18, when i could have just glypho'd maybe 20-30 sqft now its so prevalent i need to just kill the entire 1k sqft.

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ »

FuzzeWuzze wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 pm
That if you dont deal with Poa Triv with the most aggressive means possible(Glypho) when its new, you'll pay for it in the end. I tried being cute with heavy and repeated doses of Tenacity, and it did die back but always came back. Now its probably 5x as large as it was Summer of 18, when i could have just glypho'd maybe 20-30 sqft now its so prevalent i need to just kill the entire 1k sqft.
I was in a similar boat I didn’t try to kill the POA T right away, I delayed the process and all it did was expand, which was much more work in the long run. I feel like I have much more of a handle on it than before. I finally have it under control. Will it go away completely? No way. But much more manageable for sure. Here are a few pics of all my kill zones from 2018. This was after 3 weeks worth/4 doses of glypho.

Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babameca
Grass Type: Everest, Award, Perfection/PRG
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX/Jacobsen GK 526

Post by Babameca »

Even if nature can throw many things at you, renovation can still go as planned (mine did). The more options (plans) you prepare, the more the likelihood to hit the mark. Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate...
Last edited by Babameca on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.