Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
Deadpair
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 12000
Mower: FW15

Full renovation with bad yards next door

Post by Deadpair »

I want to do a full renovation so I end up with 100% TTTF. However both yards on either side are Bermuda and weeds. Is it worth the time and trouble when you will be fighting something not in your control?

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched Mono
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Toro Timemaster and Honda HRX

Re: Full renovation with bad yards next door

Post by Tsmith »

Yes it is but will constantly drive you nuts

I have a decent size yard which wasn’t fenced in so after I renovated the first time I fenced it in and built beds all around to separate the turf which made things easier when I renovated the second time.

I don’t have enough room to do anything on the one side so I just deal with it but the other side I was able to build a long thin bed and planted straight up ornamental grasses to separate the turf.

Biggest problem I have now is their landscapers don’t get that they shouldn’t shoot clippings on my lawn or even care
KBG - Bewitched Monostand
2016 Renovation

RCUK
Grass Type: Ryegrass, KBG and Poa Supina
Lawn Size: 250 sq m
Mower: Hayter Harrier 41

Post by RCUK »

I renovated mine and my neighbour's front lawns with the same seed and soil. His is weedy and drive me nuts but I continue on my journey :) You should to.

BobLovesGrass
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season, random mix
Lawn Size: 25,000sq ft.
Mower: 46" Craftsman YT4100

Post by BobLovesGrass »

Weeds I would think you can control with pre-emergent.
Bermuda???

j4c11
Grass Type: TZMM
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 »

Absolutely. But make sure you stay on top of your yearly pre-emergent applications, there will be a constant influx of weed seed. Start with glyphosate apps in August or earlier to make sure you purge any existing Bermuda from your yard before you seed.

Topic Author
Deadpair

Post by Deadpair »

But how do I keep the neighbors Bermuda and other warm season grasses from coming through?

j4c11
Grass Type: TZMM
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 »

Deadpair wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm
But how do I keep the neighbors Bermuda and other warm season grasses from coming through?
Crabgrass is a pushover, both pre and post. A bad one if it gets out of control is buttonweed, but that one is also easily controlled with triclopyr. It's really only Bermuda spreading in you need to worry about, but that's only along the edges and there's options for slowing that down as well. A thick fescue lawn will somewhat resist the Bermuda takeover. Eventually you will need to overseed and you can take stronger action against any Bermuda creeping in at that time. The big thing is, pre-emergent at the correct time to keep cragrass and bermuda from germinating all over the place.

gatorguy
Grass Type: Cool Season
Lawn Size: 2200 sq. ft
Mower: Mclane20,HRX217,HusqvarnaMZT52

Post by gatorguy »

Probably not practical with 12k depending on layout, but some guys seem to put strips of steel plate(4 inches wide, 1/16, or 1/8"thick) in the ground along the property line which you could probable run a trimmer along on a 90 degree angle.

Topic Author
Deadpair

Post by Deadpair »

So last week Pete from GCI posted about a Bermuda renovation for a client that had previously had a TTTF renovation including 4 years worth of Pylex. This is my #1 concern. For those with TTTF lawn in the transition zone do you just take this risk?

Also if you slit seed is it necessary to do Peat or any other top dress? Do you run the risk of introducing something that is contrary to your renovation work?

critterdude311
Grass Type: TTTF / KBG / Zoysia
Lawn Size: 10K SQFT
Mower: Timemaster

Post by critterdude311 »

Deadpair wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am
So last week Pete from GCI posted about a Bermuda renovation for a client that had previously had a TTTF renovation including 4 years worth of Pylex. This is my #1 concern. For those with TTTF lawn in the transition zone do you just take this risk?

Also if you slit seed is it necessary to do Peat or any other top dress? Do you run the risk of introducing something that is contrary to your renovation work?
@Deadpair -- this is a great question and requires a lot of thought. There are tons of variables to consider in a situation like this, but assuming you can't get / don't have a clearly defined border between the properties (and assuming it can't be done relatively easily) I'd probably fall in to the camp of embracing the bermuda rather than try to continuously fight it.

I have a similar situation where 3 of my surrounding neighbors (I'm on a corner lot) have Meyer Zoysia which encroaches on my backyard. They do the bare minimum, cutting once a week if that. 0 fert, 0 weed treatment, etc. There is nothing which physically separates the properties, and it would be extremely difficult to create a barrier which prevents encroachment from all sides. At first, I hated the idea of a warm season grass going dormant in the fall and having to look at it all winter (over my dead body!!!), but over time, I've come to accept it and actually enjoy the Meyer quite a bit. The warm season grasses have a lot of admirable traits. Hands down, it is easier to maintain than the cool season turf. The self-spreading nature, the fact that it thrives during a time of year we actually want to be outside, limited inputs (relative to the cool season turf grasses) and so forth. The conclusion I've come to is that it is simpler and more practical to make the Meyer Zoysia thrive during it's growing season than to continually put down chemicals (and everything which goes along with potentially exposing them to my family / pets) to combat it in a never ending herbicide spray battle royal. If you can live with the winter dormancy aspect and your wife is on board I'd say go for it. If your yard is in full sun, the bermuda will invade the TTTF, that is a definite.