Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
badtlc
Grass Type: TTTF & KBG
Lawn Size: <5k
Mower: Toro SuperRecycler

Planning for 2021 KBG yard renovation and a seeder

Post by badtlc »

Assuming I love my 100% KBG test yard patch, I want to start planning for next year when I do the whole front yard and convert it to 100% KBG. I did peat moss on my test patch and while doing so I realized that applying peat moss to a large area will suck terribly and there is some noticeable grading to the rest of my front yard.

In order to avoid peat moss and hopefully avoid washouts due to the incline, I was thinking I would want to go the seeder route (slitseeder or overseeder?). I want to get the seed in the ground rather than cover it and I realize that there are options to get this done but I don't know what would be best for KBG? I have read that slitseeders or overseeders can have issues with small KBG seed. So here are my questions:

1) Does anyone recommend a seeder than can handle KBG easily and get the seed into the ground?

2) If question #1 isn't feasible, what is the next option? Get a verticutter? Throw seed down, run verticutter, put more seed down?

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Re: Planning for 2021 KBG yard renovation and a seeder

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

I like peat moss at seeding and wouldn’t skip it. For a large area I’d rent a peat moss spreader.

ABC123
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: 220SL GM1000

Post by ABC123 »

I dont think peatmoss is necessary.

You could always put the seed down and run an aerator over the area several directions and then drag the cores. Seed to soil is very important. Im going to re seed 1/2 my lawn in the spring and most likely doing it this way.
2020 Lawn Journal: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19312

2018 Reno/New house: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5500

samzone7a
Grass Type: Mix of KBG, TTTF and PRG
Lawn Size: 12000
Mower: electric

Post by samzone7a »

I would recommend you dethach, cut the grass very low. Use PGR if possible and then just use the spreader

Jay20nj
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Gm1000 front, honda rot rear

Post by Jay20nj »

I jsed peat in front yard where i have great germination and just verticut seeded and rolled the back where i have 50% germination. Use peat

Topic Author
badtlc

Post by badtlc »

samzone7a wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:00 pm
I would recommend you dethach, cut the grass very low. Use PGR if possible and then just use the spreader
This is going to be a full reno. No PGR needed as all existing grass will be dead. The seed will either need cover or to be in the ground slightly somehow. I prefer in ground because the grade is enough the seed will easily wash away.

Topic Author
badtlc

Post by badtlc »

Jay20nj wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:44 am
I jsed peat in front yard where i have great germination and just verticut seeded and rolled the back where i have 50% germination. Use peat
I would be OK with using peat and getting a roller if the yard was flatter. I used peat on a flat area for my test patch and it washed away. The rest of my front yard has more incline and the seed will definitely wash away during any decent sized rain.

The peat moss worked great for my test patch. No denying it works very well when it stays put.

LawnDetail
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: Swardman

Post by LawnDetail »

I’ve done both methods with great success. For the slit seeder I used a Ryan, it was user friendly and worked well with good success. I’ve also raked in seed in a full reno then rolled it and covered in peat with great success. I do like using Peat.

Topic Author
badtlc

Post by badtlc »

LawnDetail wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 am
I’ve done both methods with great success. For the slit seeder I used a Ryan, it was user friendly and worked well with good success. I’ve also raked in seed in a full reno then rolled it and covered in peat with great success. I do like using Peat.
Thank you. I'll look into finding a Ryan seeder.