Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
Captquin
Grass Type: Front TTTF Blend; Back: KBG
Lawn Size: 20.000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Re: Turf Blue HGT & SPF-30 Test

Post by Captquin »

Definitely some spreading going on. You can see the some little sprouts coming up far away from the center.

Looks like the blended pot (back left) is doing the best.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda HRR 216PDA

Post by Deadlawn »

Wow, I just found this thread and am excited to see how this turns out! Keep us posted!

I've started a similar experiment of my own which will be one of my "winter projects".
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Nashvillerookie
Grass Type: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Jacobsen PGM22

Post by Nashvillerookie »

I sodded with HGT three weeks ago. Looking forward to your results. As an aside, can anyone recommend a new-sod liquid fertilizer. I applied pgf complete prior to laying the sod.

Topic Author
Captquin

Post by Captquin »

Very cool! Keep us up to speed

Topic Author
Captquin

Post by Captquin »

I have a thread in the cool season forum for some HGT and SPF-30 test pots. Noticed something interesting yesterday and wanted to share. Looks like there is some wilting in the HGT and blended pots, but none in the SPF-30 pot.

Note: The overseed this year was a blend of the two and there's no noticeable wilting. Also looks like the wilting is in the middle of both pots, which strikes me as odd.

Not sure it has anything to do with HGT, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. See second pic.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda HRR 216PDA

Post by Deadlawn »

@Captquin I did my own experiment with grass seeds which include these two. The HGT germinated in 10 days, the SPF-30 in 12 days. However, I am now 24 days since planting and the SPF-30 has a greater amount of germinated seed than the HGT.

Interestingly HGT is the one which claims fast germination, but was only 2 days faster than the SPF-30. Granted these pots are in the controlled environment inside my house. Who knows, I might see a greater disparity in germination time outside with real temperature and moisture swings.

As the saying goes, YMMV.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Topic Author
Captquin

Post by Captquin »

Interesting for sure. Mine are in a fairly shaded area. I only water if absolutely necessary, far less than I would do the lawn.

Interested to see if there’s any recovery.

Trader Jay
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Manual Reel mower

Post by Trader Jay »

Any updates? I am curious. Thanks.

jda989
Grass Type: Creeping Bentgrass
Lawn Size: .5 acres
Mower: 25" Mclane Greenskeeper

Post by jda989 »

About to start a mini lawn Reno on a 5k sqft portion of my 15k sqft backyard. Wanted to only commit to a manageable section since Spring is coming and it isn’t the most optimal time to plant cool season grass in zone 8a. Going with Fescue as the primary grass and 10-15% KBG. And it’s difficult to choose a KBG seed and feel confident it will hold up well enough here with the heat and humidity, but I do have irrigation so I may be able to counter some of the heat at least. I was considering both of these varieties so I look forward to seeing how they do for you. I’ve also considered adding a small amount of Turf Star RPR to the mix to get quick germination to help hold the other seed in place.

jeffcatton
Grass Type: KBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: .5
Mower: Normal Push

Post by jeffcatton »

jda989 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:16 am
About to start a mini lawn Reno on a 5k sqft portion of my 15k sqft backyard. Wanted to only commit to a manageable section since Spring is coming and it isn’t the most optimal time to plant cool season grass in zone 8a. Going with Fescue as the primary grass and 10-15% KBG. And it’s difficult to choose a KBG seed and feel confident it will hold up well enough here with the heat and humidity, but I do have irrigation so I may be able to counter some of the heat at least. I was considering both of these varieties so I look forward to seeing how they do for you. I’ve also considered adding a small amount of Turf Star RPR to the mix to get quick germination to help hold the other seed in place.
@jda989 HI, I use KBG-SPF30 from https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass ... ybrid.html

I am in DFW TX and we have 100+ days in the summer, mine has held up without any issues to the high heat ... stays very cool in the hot summer. I have posted in this forum under viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9273

There is a lot of success posted in TX with this grass seed. It is a great time of year to be thinking about doing it.

Hope that help and good luck !

Jeff

DIY Lawn and Garden Products