New lawn, need help with seed selection.

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
Richie0320
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 38,000
Mower: Hustler Raptor SD 54

New lawn, need help with seed selection.

Post by Richie0320 »

Hey guys, I need some help with picking a seed. I have narrowed it down to Winning Colors Certified Blend and the Eastern Shore Mix from Newsom Seed. Both blends are for our region and from local farm suppliers. I have a relatively sandy soil and no irrigation permanent irrigation. Has anyone used either of the blends or have any recommendations based off the species used. Other ideas are also welcome, thanks!

Winning Colors Certified Mix - $79/50#
29% Masterpiece TF
29% Picasso TF
19% Monet TF
19% Cezzane Rz TF
No Noxious weeds

Eastern Shore Mix - $99.50/50#
33% Turfway TF
33% Jaguar 4G TF
33% Fantasia TF
No Noxious weeds

Factor
Lawn Size: 13000
Mower: None

Re: New lawn, need help with seed selection.

Post by Factor »

Here is the latest NTEP data for MD.
https://ntep.org/states/md1/md1_tf.htm

Look for them in here. Higher numbers are better.

Winning color is here
https://newsomseed.com/resources/WinningColors.pdf

I couldn't find Eastern shore mix.
https://newsomseed.com/grassseedmixes.html
Thanks,
Factor
Just a regular guy from Tennessee.
I am just learning like you. What I do might not work for you. Heck it might not work for me..
Tier 2. It just grass... it's not a hobby for me.

SoilSecrets
Grass Type: KBG PR TTTF
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Ego

Post by SoilSecrets »

I think it would be prudent to go to the siteone landscape nearest to you in Maryland and get a bag of bluetag turf type tall fescue seed or go online to gciturf academy and get Pete's fescue seed.

SoilSecrets

Post by SoilSecrets »

Jonathan Green Blackbeauty seed is good too.

Aaron365
Grass Type: Mix KBG/TF -> Moving to TTTF
Lawn Size: 9500
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1 42"

Post by Aaron365 »

I bought Titanium LS because it had the highest scores for the 2020 ratings. Lets see how it turns out. I'm excited. Try it. I bought it from United Seed.

FreestateFescue
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Exmark 48"

Post by FreestateFescue »

This may help you as well, I used it for my seed selection this year. Kind of dated, but still very relevant.

https://theturfzone.com/podcast_associa ... -maryland/

SoilSecrets

Post by SoilSecrets »

Aaron365,

I seeded with Titanium 2LS last fall and frankly it's performance has been underwhelming - at least in my yard. I am irrigated and it still has struggled significantly in the heat. One good point is that I have not noticed much brown patch fungal disease. When you seed it and get good germination be certain to feed it well. Also, next year be very aware of the weather and when temps are forecasted to get warm get some liquid hydretain sprayed or granular Lesco Moisture Manager spread prior to the onset of heat. I am overseeding with Jonathan Green Black Beauty this year to introduce new cultivars.

Aaron365

Post by Aaron365 »

SoilSecrets wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 am
Aaron365,

I seeded with Titanium 2LS last fall and frankly it's performance has been underwhelming - at least in my yard. I am irrigated and it still has struggled significantly in the heat. One good point is that I have not noticed much brown patch fungal disease. When you seed it and get good germination be certain to feed it well. Also, next year be very aware of the weather and when temps are forecasted to get warm get some liquid hydretain sprayed or granular Lesco Moisture Manager spread prior to the onset of heat. I am overseeding with Jonathan Green Black Beauty this year to introduce new cultivars.
Its interesting. It had the highest overall scores in the tests. I'll be doing a false N-blitz with Urea and using a liquid 0-0-31 fert. I'll let you know how it goes. I wanted the RTF type of TTTF and couldn't find the barenbrug anywhere, so I chose the Titanium with the LS (lateral spread).

Virginiagal
Grass Type: tttf

Post by Virginiagal »

Here is the current VA Tech list of recommended varieties for Maryland and Virginia:
https://vcepapiprod.tecra.com/product/D ... =0?id=6259

Turfway and Fantasia in the Eastern Shore mix are on the list. The others aren’t.

Hope you have some temporary irrigation, otherwise you are at the mercy of the weather for rain.

Aaron365

Post by Aaron365 »

SoilSecrets wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 am
Aaron365,

Why do you think you had poor results?

I looked at the latest scoring for grass seed and Titanium 2LS seemed to do very well. Here is the report: https://ntep.org/data/cs15l/cs15l_21-12/cs15l_21-12.pdf

What do you think?

SoilSecrets

Post by SoilSecrets »

The heat tolerance has not been good, at least in my yard. Make sure your soil profile is good so it can put some good roots down. A couple years ago I had better luck with 4th millennium and bullseye cultivars. The bullseye was not the darkest green but had better heat tolerance.

I have some T2LS left and might put it down in another area of my yard that has dappled sunlight just to see if it does better there.

You might have better success.

SoilSecrets

Post by SoilSecrets »

I have been a slightly low in sulfur, magnesium and potassium so it may have been a contributor. Tough to say.

youngaa1
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 43000 sq.ft
Mower: Husqvarna 348XD

Post by youngaa1 »

So weird that Titanium2LS didn't work for you as well as you hoped. That's a bummer. :( I'm helping a buddy with an overseed of 4th millennium and Titanium2LS (50/50) so hopefully we have great results.

Sounds like the OP certainly has some good options available though.

Aaron365

Post by Aaron365 »

Any results from the 50/50 blend yet?

youngaa1
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 43000 sq.ft
Mower: Husqvarna 348XD

Post by youngaa1 »

Aaron365 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:35 pm
Any results from the 50/50 blend yet?
Actually, yes! We overseeded on September 4th and everything has come in great. We used the SunJoe twice on his lawn to clean it out good and that helped a ton. Scarify for the win! He did a great job of watering and we've had good weather as well. Mother nature helped out by giving us 2 inches of rain over the course of the last few days right after he did his first mow and put his first batch of food down (based on soil test). A nice slow soak.

He made a comment to me today actually that he took a look from his porch and he can tell it just looks thicker overall already. Obviously pushing it the rest of Fall will certainly help that and hopefully he'll really see great results next spring and as it matures over time.

He's definitely happy with the 50/50 mix of 4th millennium and Titanium2LS though and so am I.

VALawnNoob
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro

Post by VALawnNoob »

Virginiagal wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:09 pm
Here is the current VA Tech list of recommended varieties for Maryland and Virginia:
https://vcepapiprod.tecra.com/product/D ... =0?id=6259
@Virginiagal Do you know why in Category II they say: Volt and Wildhorse are only for mixing with tall fescue for mixed species sod

What is so special about Volt and Wildhorse that it is only for mixing with TTTF?

Virginiagal
Grass Type: tttf

Post by Virginiagal »

I don’t know. You could ask Mike Goatley at Virginia Tech: goatley@vt.edu

DIY Lawn and Garden Products