Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
Masko44
Grass Type: Mix of seed
Lawn Size: 30x40
Mower: Push mower with bag

Rodents Damaging Lawn

Post by Masko44 »

With the fall, it’s typical to seen a fair share of squirrels and chipmunks throughout the yard. We seem to have had more acorns fall this year than in years past, and I know the rodents are stocking up. I have also noticed a lot of areas where the rodents are digging and exposing soil. This is well after the yard has been cleaned of excessive acorns. I see them out there during the day scrapping away. I assume they are looking for grubs? I do an annual grub treatment in spring and fall (just did one two weeks ago). I have not noticed any grub damage since spring 2020, when treatment started. There are certainly more surface diggings in the yard this year then last. Any suggestions/recommendation on how to address this. I know we have at least one or two deeper holes where chipmunks have burrowed for food storage. I’m, just concerned about all the surface diggings (not burrowed holes) throughout the lawn. Northeast.

Topic Author
Masko44
Grass Type: Mix of seed
Lawn Size: 30x40
Mower: Push mower with bag

Re: Rodents Damaging Lawn

Post by Masko44 »

Here is a picture of the damage.

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen »

The damage in the pics looks like squirrels burying acorns/nuts. Grubs are not the issue. Chipmunks are collecting the same food this time of year. Your grass will be fine. For chipmunk control I've had success with these

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: BlueBank-Front / NoMix - Back
Lawn Size: 17,500 sq. feet
Mower: GM1600 & Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JerseyGreens »

Squirrels are going absolutely nuts this year - no pun intended. It's a mast season around my ways and it's annoying when reel mowing...

Jeff_MI84
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue/ KBG
Lawn Size: 4556sqft
Mower: Toro 22” Recycler

Post by Jeff_MI84 »

@JerseyGreens I have two squirrel nests in my front yard tress. They are harassing the heck out of me, digging right in front of me.

JerseyGreens
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: BlueBank-Front / NoMix - Back
Lawn Size: 17,500 sq. feet
Mower: GM1600 & Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JerseyGreens »

Jeff_MI84 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am
@JerseyGreens I have two squirrel nests in my front yard tress. They are harassing the heck out of me, digging right in front of me.

Yup they absolutely don't care this year...found one dead in the street outside my house. Turkey vultures wasted no time on that one...

We have hawks and foxes that help limit the squirrel population but not sure what's going on this year!

Jeff_MI84
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue/ KBG
Lawn Size: 4556sqft
Mower: Toro 22” Recycler

Post by Jeff_MI84 »

@JerseyGreens they seem to be more territorial and aggressive. Like, “I’m gonna dig a hole right here and over and I don’t care”.

zackroof
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 14,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro Recycler 22"

Post by zackroof »

Masko44 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:52 am
Here is a picture of the damage.
I definitely have these too - so annoying. I too thought it was squirrels burying nuts, but there’s never anything in the holes. And they’re not deep enough really for anything. I feel like their digging looking for something. And they sure love a fresh new reno to find whatever that is.

BigBlue
Grass Type: Tall Fescue/KBG
Lawn Size: 10K sq.ft.
Mower: Ego 21" Rotary Push

Post by BigBlue »

At least I can get some small solace knowing that it's not just my area with local thug squirrels. It's been a bumper crop here too (my theory: pandemic keeping many people at home tele working = less cars commuting = less squirrel roadkill = cocky squirrels!)

I watch those buggers descend from the nests in my trees or traipse across the street from the neighbors property (no grass, just weeds, so he could care less) and dig for no apparent reason. I swear they watched my overseed project and all conspired to mess with it on purpose!

I have read that they dig holes just to look for things to eat and also of course to bury nuts (I have found acorns and hickory nuts in a few of the holes and shells near other open holes, but many of the holes, as noted above, were just holes).

The other day I found myself opening the window and yelling at the squirrels to get off my lawn....what have I become? 😂

DIY Lawn and Garden Products