Re: Aeration completed! Need seed recommendation

Post by jha4aamu »

creediddy2021 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm
lbb091919 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am
creediddy2021 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 pm

I agree…temps will average around 60 for the next week and half. Germination can still take place with temps in the mid 60’s. Nights will hover around mid 40’s every night.

Yes the turf looks good. I need to spot seed in thinner areas of the lawn. Overall I’m very impressed with the YM Double Dark and Thick’R lawn seed. This is only fertilizing I’ve have done since June.
I'm not saying that the seed won't germinate. I'm saying that any seed that does may, or may not, have enough time to establish before the colder temperatures come and wipe it out.

Sounds like you already spot seeded areas and are seeing germination. I hope the best for you and that everything works out before the end of the season.
Yes I know what you are saying...Air and soil temp is very important role for germination, but water is the single most component for seed growth. Right now we have received about 2.5" of rain within a week.
Water is the most important component of germination. Your seeds will grow in a wet paper towel. Getting it to survive and establish is a little different. Air and soil temps are whats going to determine whether your grass has the time to establish and be hardy enough to survive the winter months.

This growing season is winding down. And may be over for some folks. I would recommend spending some time over the winter looking at the Cool Season/Overseed/Reno guides before next spring. Lawn care can be alot of work and $$$, esp if you are caring for your lawn inefficiently.
FRONT
NoMix

Topic Author
creediddy2021
Grass Type: Fescue, Rye, KBG
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Lawn cut service weekly @3.5"

Post by creediddy2021 »

jha4aamu wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:02 pm
creediddy2021 wrote:
lbb091919 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am

I'm not saying that the seed won't germinate. I'm saying that any seed that does may, or may not, have enough time to establish before the colder temperatures come and wipe it out.

Sounds like you already spot seeded areas and are seeing germination. I hope the best for you and that everything works out before the end of the season.
Yes I know what you are saying...Air and soil temp is very important role for germination, but water is the single most component for seed growth. Right now we have received about 2.5" of rain within a week.
Water is the most important component of germination. Your seeds will grow in a wet paper towel. Getting it to survive and establish is a little different. Air and soil temps are whats going to determine whether your grass has the time to establish and be hardy enough to survive the winter months.

This growing season is winding down. And may be over for some folks. I would recommend spending some time over the winter looking at the Cool Season/Overseed/Reno guides before next spring. Lawn care can be alot of work and $$$, esp if you are caring for your lawn inefficiently.
Yes I agree with you 100%. Great advice. What is your take on winterizing? Which fertilizer(s) do you use?

jha4aamu
Grass Type: KBG/Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: JD z225; Honda HRX217; JD260sl

Post by jha4aamu »

creediddy2021 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 am
jha4aamu wrote:
creediddy2021 wrote:

Yes I agree with you 100%. Great advice. What is your take on winterizing? Which fertilizer(s) do you use?
I dont winterize. I think you will also find that many members here also dont. Only urea or AMS in the fall. In your climate, the additional K could lead to fungus issues in the spring.
FRONT
NoMix

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

jha4aamu wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 am
creediddy2021 wrote:
jha4aamu wrote:

I dont winterize. I think you will also find that many members here also dont. Only urea or AMS in the fall. In your climate, the additional K could lead to fungus issues in the spring.
Got it...I am afraid of the burn risk and soil acidifier with AMS. Although with the amount of rain and moisture we have in the Chicagoland area I might be ok. My 16-2-3 Screamin Green has both Urea and AMS so this will be my go to sometime in Nov.

jha4aamu

Post by jha4aamu »

creediddy2021 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 pm
jha4aamu wrote:
creediddy2021 wrote:

Got it...I am afraid of the burn risk and soil acidifier with AMS. Although with the amount of rain and moisture we have in the Chicagoland area I might be ok. My 16-2-3 Screamin Green has both Urea and AMS so this will be my go to sometime in Nov.
There is minimal burn risk applying ams or urea at the appropriate fall rates. And any soil acidification would take multiple apps over time for any meaningful change(as you noted, the screaming green has urea and ams sources so its not like you are avoiding using it altogether)

Its your yard so you can obviously care for it however you like. But putting down an organic fert in Nov, in chicago is a waste of time and money.
FRONT
NoMix

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

Screamin' Green has around 50% fast release N, so it's fine. The other 50% is a combination of slow release synthetic N and organic N, and will just sit there until Spring, and maybe some of it will slowly break down into the soil and be stored before that. So, in Spring it'll be ready to help green up the lawn. You won't need fertilizer until a good 4-6 weeks after you start mowing next year.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

jha4aamu wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 pm
creediddy2021 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 pm
jha4aamu wrote:

There is minimal burn risk applying ams or urea at the appropriate fall rates. And any soil acidification would take multiple apps over time for any meaningful change(as you noted, the screaming green has urea and ams sources so its not like you are avoiding using it altogether)

Its your yard so you can obviously care for it however you like. But putting down an organic fert in Nov, in chicago is a waste of time and money.
Thanks againf for the advice!

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

Green wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:44 pm
Screamin' Green has around 50% fast release N, so it's fine. The other 50% is a combination of slow release synthetic N and organic N, and will just sit there until Spring, and maybe some of it will slowly break down into the soil and be stored before that. So, in Spring it'll be ready to help green up the lawn. You won't need fertilizer until a good 4-6 weeks after you start mowing next year.
Thanks so much Green for the info!

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

Does anyone have recommendations for fall and spring weed herbicide? Looking at granular Dithiopyr or Prodiamine? Which one would you recommend for fall and/or spring?

lbb091919
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 4300 sqft
Mower: Honda HRR/JD 220SL

Post by lbb091919 »

creediddy2021 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm
Does anyone have recommendations for fall and spring weed herbicide? Looking at granular Dithiopyr or Prodiamine? Which one would you recommend for fall and/or spring?
Man, you just need to read the Cool Season Lawn Guide. It has recommendations for herbicides, pre-emergents, their usages and timings, and then some.

jha4aamu

Post by jha4aamu »

creediddy2021 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm
Are you trying to kill weeds or prevent them? The weeds you are targeting will also determine timing. But as stated above, check out the cool season guide.
FRONT
NoMix

Harts
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 38,500
Mower: Toro GM1000, JD S130

Post by Harts »

The two products you mentioned are pre-emergents - they prevent weeds from growing. If this what you are looking for, then either of them will work. Spring apps need to occur before soil temps rise above 55F. Fall apps should go down before soil temps dip below 70F consistently.

Spring apps prevent most common broadleaf weeds. Fall apps help control Poa Annua the following year.

If you are looking for weed killer, then you are looking for entirely different products.

Either way, this isn't something that should be on your radar right now. You can spend the off season doing the research to figure out what you need.

Cool Season Guide
Guide for Weeds

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

Harts wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:13 pm
The two products you mentioned are pre-emergents - they prevent weeds from growing. If this what you are looking for, then either of them will work. Spring apps need to occur before soil temps rise above 55F. Fall apps should go down before soil temps dip below 70F consistently.

Spring apps prevent most common broadleaf weeds. Fall apps help control Poa Annua the following year.

If you are looking for weed killer, then you are looking for entirely different products.

Either way, this isn't something that should be on your radar right now. You can spend the off season doing the research to figure out what you need.

Cool Season Guide
Guide for Weeds
I used the wrong verbiage. Broadleaf control. Thanks for that info. That is exactly what I was looking for.

This is a great article and wanted to see what people were doing for broadleaf for fall and spring.

https://www.centralirrigationsupply.com ... rodiamine/

chRONic
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 3000 square feet
Mower: Toro

Post by chRONic »

Honestly I think you started too late, I would of just waited until spring. I live in the Chicagoland area as well and I overseeded in late August.

chRONic
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 3000 square feet
Mower: Toro

Post by chRONic »

You should just be pushing urea now at 1-2lb per 1000 sq/ft per month until early Nov. That's all I would be focusing on right now. You are too late for anything else really.

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

chRONic wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 pm
Honestly I think you started too late, I would of just waited until spring. I live in the Chicagoland area as well and I overseeded in late August.
I spot seeded in areas of my lawn after the core aeration. I did not fully overseed my lawn.

This was taken 3 days ago. The lines you see are from the lawn mower wheels.

This shot was taken 1 week after the aeration.

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

chRONic wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:10 pm
You should just be pushing urea now at 1-2lb per 1000 sq/ft per month until early Nov. That's all I would be focusing on right now. You are too late for anything else really.
I rather would go with a Screamin Green with 5 sources of Nitrogen along with hitting my lawn along with another app of Double Dark. That way I’m giving my lawn some iron.

Im starting to see a change with the Ironite app.

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

Love Pete’s video he just posted he uses Protene 20-0-5 for his fall fertilizer.

Topic Author
creediddy2021

Post by creediddy2021 »

This was my lawn color on Oct 8th 2020. This was all Ironite and Milo. Trying to get back there. This is around 5:30-6:00pm. Notice my neighbors across the street as they had no chance…lol

DIY Lawn and Garden Products