Post by NJ-lawn »

Guess I got lucky...... I never aerate either. But I do mulch, so far so good

NJ-lawn
Grass Type: KBG front. North mix rear
Lawn Size: 12000sqft
Mower: Honda HRX

Re: Poa Trivialis!!!!

Post by NJ-lawn »

You can try digging it out. Get a good perimeter and put down some sod unless it’s all over n mixed in your entire lawn.

Make sure you get it all, like you said light it up w Tenacity.

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ »

Kissfromnick wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:32 am
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:13 pm
Kissfromnick wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:26 pm
Hope my back yard poa t free. Blanket cover all lawn with Xonerate and just to make sure roundup some area. Will do seeding next week.
Did you overseed your dead bare spots? Any after photos?
I didn’t do back yard yet will do next week. I seed front yard about 6 weeks ago Get tired from all those neighbors questions about dry spots on lawn :):). Came out good

Wow! That came out great! Have you noticed any dark spots in the turf since overseeding? Were you able to overseed with the same grass seed blend?

Kissfromnick
Lawn Size: 30000
Mower: John Deere 120/cub cadet 0turn

Post by Kissfromnick »

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm
Kissfromnick wrote:
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Did you overseed your dead bare spots? Any after photos?
I didn’t do back yard yet will do next week. I seed front yard about 6 weeks ago Get tired from all those neighbors questions about dry spots on lawn :):). Came out good

Wow! That came out great! Have you noticed any dark spots in the turf since overseeding? Were you able to overseed with the same grass seed blend?
Always was using Barenbrug hgt with rtf this time I decide to go with the Titanium and 4millennium ttf i know it should be darker color for now not really noticeable will see next spring.

jvf1095
Grass Type: Mostly Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: Toro

Post by jvf1095 »

Well I've read a lot of ideas here. Started raking & pulling out the Triv today. Still more to do. I raked INTO the Triv, not away from it, & then pulled what I could by hand. Because someone said that raking might spread the stolons, I took my leaf vac & completely vacuumed the areas I did; even vac'd the good Fescue near the pulled Triv. Nothing browned out is left in the areas I did. I know Round Up won't kill the Triv that might still be lurking because it's dormant. But I'm going to blanket spray Tenacity just to see what turns white. In the fall, if I see any growth in the bare spots because it's coming out of dormancy, I'll hit it with Round Up. (Don't care if it turns out to be a waste of time in the fall; I just want this stuff dead)!! I like what "green" did leaving spots bare. I plan to do the same, maybe just top dressing with good topsoil. Then in the spring if I see any growth in the bare areas, I'm going to use Round up & hope I got it, since unfortunately I don't have Xonorate or Velocity. Is this a decent plan of attack guys? THANKS!!!.

NJ-lawn
Grass Type: KBG front. North mix rear
Lawn Size: 12000sqft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by NJ-lawn »

It’s a marathon not a sprint. It will take many seasons.....stay the coarse. Because it will spread

jvf1095

Post by jvf1095 »

Yeah, I hear that! I'm at least trying to nail the big areas, & even if it comes back, hopefully the areas will be smaller & smaller & be manageable. Would love to get my hands on some Velocity or Xonorate! By the way, should I go with Tall Fescue in these areas when I do re-seed, or is there another type of grass that will give the Triv some competition? Thanks.

Scagfreedom48z+

Kissfromnick wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Kissfromnick wrote:

Always was using Barenbrug hgt with rtf this time I decide to go with the Titanium and 4millennium ttf i know it should be darker color for now not really noticeable will see next spring.
How many apps of glypho did you hit it with?

jvf1095

Post by jvf1095 »

I didn't yet. I'm going to hit the raked/pulled areas with Tenacity first to see what else turns white, then hit it with the Round Up.

Redeye
Grass Type: Turf-type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5,300 SQ. FT.
Mower: Honda 21” 160cc Variable Speed

Post by Redeye »

I plan was to apply Prodiamine 65 WDG in late Summer Early fall (before soil temperature goes below 70 degrees F) at a rate of .415 oz. per 1,000 f^2 & another application in early spring (before soil temperature goes above 55 degrees F) at the rate of .415 oz. per 1,000 f^2.

Has anyone tried this or think this might help? Thanks!

Kissfromnick
Lawn Size: 30000
Mower: John Deere 120/cub cadet 0turn

Post by Kissfromnick »

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Kissfromnick wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:

How many apps of glypho did you hit it with?
Did 2 apps of Xonerate 2 weeks apart over entire lawn and onces glypho spots only. Here picture of left side driveway overseeded 2 weeks ago.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

Redeye wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:26 am
I plan was to apply Prodiamine 65 WDG in late Summer Early fall (before soil temperature goes below 70 degrees F) at a rate of .415 oz. per 1,000 f^2 & another application in early spring (before soil temperature goes above 55 degrees F) at the rate of .415 oz. per 1,000 f^2.

Has anyone tried this or think this might help? Thanks!
Help with POA t? No
Help with POA a? New germination, yes
Early spring one will help with crabgrass.

jvf1095

Post by jvf1095 »

After I HOPEFULLY kill off the poa-Triv (& I know it's going to be an up hill battle reading through this forum & it's not going to be in one shot); what grass can I over seed with that will give the Triv a run for it's money that spreads the best. (Read that Barenbrug has a Tall Fescue that spreads). Thanks!!

tgreen
Grass Type: tf and kbg
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: 48 turf tracer

Post by tgreen »

jvf1095 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am
Hello & thanks for having me as a member. Here's my issue...
My front lawn is infested with Poa Trivialis. At this point it's dormant.
I read that the best time to spray to kill it is in the Spring, but I didn't know I had Triv till now. Also, I don't have Velocity which I
understand will kill it if sprayed in the spring without killing my Tall Fescue. What I'm thinking is this. I want to rake all the Triv out now, & spray the area with Tenacity to weaken what might be left, avoiding Round up. Then put down Dimension to kill any unwanted Poa or other weed seed. I'm not going to seed the area in the fall, just leave it bare & seed in the Spring. This way, if the Triv starts to grow back in those areas in the Spring, I can spray it with Round Up & just kill the Triv without killing my Tall Fescue because I'll know where the Triv was & I'll know it's Triv that's growing back. Then I'll top dress with clean top soil & seed at the right time with Tall Fescue after the growing Triv is dead. Does this sound like a good approach, or can you please advise me otherwise?
Thanks!!!...Joe
I don't 100% follow your plan but am concerned you are over-thinking it. I don't see any pics but I'm trying to imagine your situation and I would rake out the dormant stuff and spray roundup all around the area(s) whether you think it's dormant or not. I'd then seed it. The triv is likely to come back but you probably have put a dent in it with this plan.

jvf1095

Post by jvf1095 »

Thanks tgreen. Just can't stand the stuff & will try anything to kill it!

Scagfreedom48z+

2nd spot spray app on POA T and bentgrass in a weeks time.

Scagfreedom48z+

What’s the best and most efficient way of removing the dead POA and bentgrass from the dead spots? Raking it out would take forever. I was thinking of weed eating all the spots to get them bare anyway. I am buying a dethatcher as well.

ryeguy
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000 sqft
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by ryeguy »

Running a weed whacker down to dirt is what I've done in the past, it's pretty easy and effective at removing dead stuff. Just vacuum up all the clippings with your mower afterwards.

FuzzeWuzze
Grass Type: Rye Grass
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: Lawn Boy 21"

Post by FuzzeWuzze »

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 pm
What’s the best and most efficient way of removing the dead POA and bentgrass from the dead spots? Raking it out would take forever. I was thinking of weed eating all the spots to get them bare anyway. I am buying a dethatcher as well.
One of those electric dethatchers should do quite a job on it, even though they say not too, get your area nice and wet(like spongy wet) and pull the thing backwards, it will rip the s--- out of anything in front of it. You can whip any remaining grass to the ground if you want.