Lawn Care Forum banner

Shade tolerant Kentucky Blue Grass

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Matthew_73 
#1 ·
Regrading and leveling back yard (1100sq ft) and would prefer 100% KBG. However, area is fairly shaded throughout the day. Any types of KBG that would tolerate this? Located in 6a/b growing zone.

#6 ·
Get between 4-6 hrs of shade a day depending on season, had researched similar for my reno and asked same.

If I could get my hands on Mazama I would have gone for it (not avail. in Canada).

Maybe post a pic, there are others here with more experience who can help guide you if they have a visual.

#8 ·
Alias-Doe said:
I seeded Bewitched a month ago in my front and side yard . The side is mostly shade and it's growing and looking so much better than the sunny area . Not sure how it will look in a couple years but so far it's been amazing performance in the shade .
I'll have to take a look at Bewitched as well, where did you get it from? I've been trying to watch how much sunlight this portion of the yard gets and its seems to never get direct sunlight due to the trees.

#10 ·
WeedPatch said:
Alias-Doe said:
I seeded Bewitched a month ago in my front and side yard . The side is mostly shade and it's growing and looking so much better than the sunny area . Not sure how it will look in a couple years but so far it's been amazing performance in the shade .
I'll have to take a look at Bewitched as well, where did you get it from? I've been trying to watch how much sunlight this portion of the yard gets and its seems to never get direct sunlight due to the trees.
I got some from seedsuperstore and some from a local seed store . My side yard gets about 2-3 hours of sun on a clear sky sunny day .

#11 ·
@WeedPatch How many hours of sun your backyard gets a day. Even the most tolerant KBG is not magical. KBG likes sun, water and fert more than any other cool season grass type. Your yard looks dead shady...
I have an area in mine that in spring receives enough sun (actually for this part spring seeding works wayyy better for me). Then, once late summer hits, all thins down (not from drought) and by now it is spare (zero weeds as well). And the cycle starts over.

#12 ·
Babameca said:
@WeedPatch How many hours of sun your backyard gets a day. Even the most tolerant KBG is not magical. KBG likes sun, water and fert more than any other cool season grass type. Your yard looks dead shady...
I have an area in mine that in spring receives enough sun (actually for this part spring seeding works wayyy better for me). Then, once late summer hits, all thins down (not from drought) and by now it is spare (zero weeds as well). And the cycle starts over.
This was my concern right now during late season not much direct sunlight maybe 1-2 hours. Earlier in the year and throughout most of summer it gets a few more hours per day.

#14 ·
I am not familiar with all of the KBG cultivars and types, but Mazama and Bewitched come to mind, as have already been mentioned.
I have some Mazama growing under partial shade conditions, and it does well there, but that is in Tennessee, where shade can be a good friend to cool season turf.
I don't know how much shade is too much shade relative to your environment, but I agree that the target area looks really shady. I think that @Babameca is suggesting a smart strategy.

#15 ·
thoughts on what I could use. I am up for anything.. I plan on getting compost soil and leveling low spots and spreading seed... I just really don't know what will grow the best as it is dang near all shade all day... Here are a few pics These pics were before the summer heat and look decent... but the low spots are what I am trying to help and add grass..

Side some and most sun out of two sections -

Back This area is MOSTLY shade -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.