Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG, T1 Bentgrass
Lawn Size: 1.4 Acres
Mower: Toro Reelmaster 3100D, GM 1000

HLG's Golf Course

Post by HoosierLawnGnome »

Don't do it, they said. It's a lot of work, they said.

Trigger pulled.

Following NTEP and Zac Reicher's work on home golf greens from his days at Purdue, I ordered 5 lbs of T1 creeping bentgrass for any greens or tee boxes needed.

Greens top dressing sand is coming in the next few days. The kids will have fun spreading that in the 90+ degree heat, while our house has no air conditioning until next week. :lol:

I'm having a storage shed built for the mowers and equipment, my 3rd car garage is too full of yard stuff.

I don't have a greens mower yet, so we will have to get one on hand in the next few months. I'm a Toro man, looking for a greensmaster 1000 or 1600. They seem to be really hard to come by right now.

Two problems where we want the green: marshy water, and poor sprinkler coverage. The green should go several yardsa above the flag you see here, but thus area gets marshy from slight swales. I'm hoping the sand leveling will help. There is pressure loss in this zone, coming from one head that is broken mainly, but also I think the pressure is low regardless. It's the furthest away.

Last edited by HoosierLawnGnome on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG (2017 Reno)
Lawn Size: 38k sq ft
Mower: John Deere 2500B & X590

Re: HLG's Golf Course

Post by Pete1313 »

Excited to see this come together! It's something I have thought hard about doing as well.
"The bluegrass of Kentucky. You don't notice no difference, that's because you don't have the eye!" - 29th Street

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

This should be fun.

ABC123
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Beyond KBG
Lawn Size: 72,000
Mower: 220sl Toro-Prostripe

Post by ABC123 »

The push Mclane can go down to 3/16”, can find them for rather cheap.

Sounds like a great project.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

@Pete1313 I may have bitten off more than I can chew 😂😂

5 tons of sand should be here mid morning. Not the most ideal time to be levelling with sand but the turf is growing well right now. I will use it to level the greens area and some subtle swales.

Biggest thing long term is all the extra mowing. My plan is to have a kid or two help keep up with the greenskeeping.

One thing I've noticed with reel mowing longer is you still need to mow more frequently because even though you may not violate the 1/3 guideline by mowing twice a week, the cut blades are longer , dont fall through the canopy as easily, and build up on the surface where they brown and discolor it. And of course on 1.4 acres you cant put on catchers unless you have an extra hour. Watering helps as does blowing.

This time of year I get lots of buildup.

@ABC123 thanks! I had a McLane for a bit, but it wasnt what I was looking for.

@SNOWBOB11 fun? Or expensive? Maybe both?

My wife thought I was crazy many years ago when I ONLY wanted to kill the entire lawn. Now this...

john5246
Grass Type: KBG, PR
Lawn Size: 5000sqft
Mower: Rotary

Post by john5246 »

omg that lone baby spruce out there :lol:

didn't want to splurge on a bigger one?

john5246

Post by john5246 »

you got a great property there, lots of space without having to see neighbors everytime you walk out

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

john5246 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 am

Ikr! I started it from a tiny sapling for a few dollars. Planted about 10 around the property. In my experience they are as big as the $400 ones in 10 years and healthier.

Really I'm just frugal and like to grow things 😂😂😂

But then i go out and buy another greens mower.🤷‍♂️

Made an offer on a Toro Greensmaster 1000, they took it. It needs a front roller so now I need to figure out grooved or solid.

uts
Grass Type: KBG and TTTF
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: Ferris FW35, Toro timemaster

Post by uts »

Why not get a riding greens mower with catchers? I know I know it's expensive but that will save a lot of time and you can bag as well. Got to take the time factor in as well!

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

uts wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 am
Why not get a riding greens mower with catchers? I know I know it's expensive but that will save a lot of time and you can bag as well. Got to take the time factor in as well!
The greens will probably be too small and tight for a rider, but you're right about them saving time and what not.

I postponed the sand delivery until next week. Lots of thunderstorms in the forecast in the next several days. Last thing I need is to turn my driveway into a sand trap.

Wait a minute... maybe....

nah she'd never go for it

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Got a grooved roller om the way now.

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

How much are you going to raise the green? If it stays wet, I would worry about being able to mow often enough.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: After Midnight
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

bernstem wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 am
How much are you going to raise the green? If it stays wet, I would worry about being able to mow often enough.
My plan right now is to pick spots that already get decent drainage, level with some sand, plant seed after killing.

That corner pictured is a problem for drainage. I'm probably going to move the hole up and then smooth the grade with sand. It stays pretty dry just 10 ft up and gets more sun.

The other two flags have good drainage already.

-----------'
I bought some tee box markers and a vintage par aide ball washer. Attached a rag and club cleaning tools.

Here you can see my cut quality suffers at the edge. I overlap passes several inches but the edge always pushes up the turf laying the opposite direction. Not sure what can be done. The heads were all cutting edge to edge before I cut this afternoon.

jaygrizzle
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3,000 sq feet
Mower: Murray 20"

Post by jaygrizzle »

How many yards from tee box to green?

If you haven’t heard of it, check out Some Guy’s Backyard. They built a 7 hole par 3 course in their backyard.

https://someguysbackyard.com/

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

jaygrizzle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:11 am
How many yards from tee box to green?

If you haven’t heard of it, check out Some Guy’s Backyard. They built a 7 hole par 3 course in their backyard.

https://someguysbackyard.com/
About 100 yard on the longest.

Right now I have 3 pins, my wife wants to keep all 3, so I may alter the design.

We have a party in a few weeks so I'll wait to start killing grass after that.

T1 seed should arrive today.

john5246

Post by john5246 »

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:13 am
john5246 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 am

Ikr! I started it from a tiny sapling for a few dollars. Planted about 10 around the property. In my experience they are as big as the $400 ones in 10 years and healthier.

Really I'm just frugal and like to grow things 😂😂😂

But then i go out and buy another greens mower.🤷‍♂️

Made an offer on a Toro Greensmaster 1000, they took it. It needs a front roller so now I need to figure out grooved or solid.
I hear you, I just did the same with some lavender, bought one for $10 from Home Depot and propagated 4 more from cuttings. Saved $40+ which I can put into my lawn budget. There's always something to buy or upgrade.

It's done well for a sapling.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

My certified, T1 bentgrass showed up yesterday.

So did my grooved, front roller and extra bearings.

Now I just need the GM1000.

I tried to find some tupersan (siduron) as a seed down pre emergent, but it's very expensive. I expect each green to be about 1000 sf or less in area. The greens locations dont have anything other than KBG, so I will probably use my fingers as a post emergent.

Sand was rescheduled for early this week. So excited. Going to go thin on it as it is very hot, but my turf is still growing. Will probably put some urea down tonight to boost it a bit.

ETA

I replaced two hunter heads in the irrigation zone covering the middle hole. They had been hit with a reel and torn up. I put in rainbird 5000 which was in the zone originally.

I'm not getting head to head coverage, so I need to figure that out in the next few weeks. Probably pressure loss.

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

Cancelled the sand delivery. we have a party in < 2 weeks and don't want any sand showing, plus I'm just not ready to take it on with my real life work load. I also think it will be easier to load it up a ton and a half at a time into my trailer, drive through the yard, and shovel out from there.

We got some good rain over the weekend, so I took a walk in my barefeet out to the middle green area (2), and it's too marshy even where it looks drier. I need to raise it up more. Will be more valuable time spent to purchase a combination of soil and dirt to raise it up 3 inches and fill in low spots around. It may be even better time spent installing a few drainage tiles to the creek rather than trying to fill in the swale that runs the length of the creek. Those trees will inevitably push the creek brim higher over time, so it will be a constant fight otherwise.

The other two greens locations are in good shape drainage and sprinkler-coverage wise.

Kallgren
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Jacobsen 522, Craftsman 42”

Post by Kallgren »

From what I understand, tupersan/ siduron will be one of few choices for pre-emergent on bentgrass, but seems you can apply around seed down.

You might also want post emergent Trimec for Bentgrass. About 1oz, per 1000 sq-ft according to the label for greens.

I’m going to overseed my Penncross with True Putt creeping bluegrass this year.

Smooth rollers from what I’ve read (maybe the USGA Greens Section Record which is an excellent resource) are recommended for the first year of greens establishment.
Here is Bills Backyard Pitch and Putt journal viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15487

Topic Author
HoosierLawnGnome

@Kallgren good info, thanks!

I think im going to skip the tupersan for seed down. Its $150 and doesnt prevent much im worried about. Id use it once at seed down and then not again, just not worth it.

Will def check out Trimec. I use triclopyr a lot, and tenacity occasionally, neither of which are for bentgrass.

So, heres my current thought. Paint the green shape. 3 rounds of glyohosate week after next. Scalp. Blow the dead stuff off with my br600.

Top dress hole 2 with soil compost mix. Top dress all with greens sand and level.

Apply bentgrass seed, milorganite, top dress with peat moss, press into soil. Keep it moist.

Wait for germination and mow at .5" ASAP.

Dimension (dishiopyr) can be applied after the 2nd mow to the bentgrass im sowing. It also has a little post emergence control of baby crabgrass, my main concern.

Ill put that down asap and then hit things with a post emergent when safe.

Ill probaby maintain it at .5 until the spring then take it to greens height.

I played around with a fairway design tonight. It helped give me a sense of how big to make the greens. I think ill make triangula, wedge shaped fairways rsther than connect the greens like i did tonight.