Lawn Care Forum banner

Lesco carbon pro line

14K views 68 replies 22 participants last post by  situman 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this lesco product?
https://www.siteone.com/en/10940cpg-lesco-carbonpro-g-soil-optimizer-w-mirimichi-green-sgn-100-4/p/633876

Says it helps with green up plus soil enhancer

#27 ·
john5246 said:
gm560 said:
john5246 said:
I think we should share pictures of our lawns and I can tell you my lawn is amazing with just using synthetic fertilizer and mulching clippings
A lot of us do share pictures of our lawns throughout the season, in fact there is a whole section of the forum dedicated to lawn journals. You should start one, I'd love to see your regimen.
Ok I will go do that. I want people to see what can be accomplished for less than $150 dollars for a 5,000 sq ft lawn.
:thumbup:

#28 ·
john5246 said:
gm560 said:
john5246 said:
I think we should share pictures of our lawns and I can tell you my lawn is amazing with just using synthetic fertilizer and mulching clippings
A lot of us do share pictures of our lawns throughout the season, in fact there is a whole section of the forum dedicated to lawn journals. You should start one, I'd love to see your regimen.
Ok I will go do that. I want people to see what can be accomplished for less than $150 dollars for a 5,000 sq ft lawn.
It all depends on the start point. Maintaining a good lawn on good soil for $150 is much different then establishing a great lawn on trash soil for $150.

#29 ·
Ngilbe36 said:
john5246 said:
gm560 said:
It all depends on the start point. Maintaining a good lawn on good soil for $150 is much different then establishing a great lawn on trash soil for $150.
This is the whole point right here. If you have an established lawn in established soil, this Carbon Pro is not, and should not, be for you.

But if you are attempting to establish turf in some tough soils, the test results certainly show it can help.

It's impossible to compare one lawn to another without also comparing all the inputs, and who has time to discuss watering schedule, cutting height/frequency, grass type/cultivar, climate zone, fertilizer inputs, fungicide regimen, pesticide regimen, blade sharpening schedule, sunlight exposure, soil type, soil amendments, and human/pet traffic? :lol:

#30 ·
gm560 said:
gasdoc said:
Peat moss is not a sustainable resource and it was quite expensive when I spread it during seeding
It also sucks to spread.
I found that spreading it via "top dressing" method is best. Either shovel throw it or dump it into piles and rake it in. Spreading by hand is good for accuracy and making sure you don't go too heavy, but with any sort of wind it's a complete PITA and you'll waste a lot of product. This is based off my very little experience, at least.

#31 ·
Ngilbe36 said:
john5246 said:
gm560 said:
I'm trying to establish a great lawn on ~700sf right now, with ideal soil according to my soil test, and it has cost me well over $150 so far, and I haven't even dropped any fertilizer yet... Top soil and peat alone cost me $150. I'll report back on my water bill for this Q too...

#33 ·
SoilSecrets said:
I have been using Mirimichi Green CarbonizPN and Lesco Carbon Pro L for a few years. They are expensive but they work quite well in my opinion.. The best results I obtained were working to till CarbonizPN (50% biochar and 50% compost into the soil.
Awesome to hear. If you till this right here is a no-brainer! Love everything about this product and what it offers, especially if integrated into the soil profile. Add in some organic fertilizer into the mix (Milo, etc) and you're golden!

#34 ·
How much nitrogen should you figure 5#/M is? I'm picking some up this weekend, and I've never used this product before. I don't want to overfertilize for the year because I didn't figure this into my calculations.

#37 ·
I was lucky to have a SiteOne store nearby & paid $25 /bag for Carbon Pro-G Soil Optimizer.

My only concern is that this product raises pH & mine is already at 7.

I have many products that contain sulfur (AMS, Sulfate of Potash & Micrel Total 5-0-0) that will lower pH, so is there any reason to be hesitant?

#39 ·
Grass Clippins said:
@Lawndress Give it to her. My personal opinion on Carbon and Humic is that if you're going to do it then do it big. Half stepping with amendments is a waste.
Okay. I'll do 10#/M--their max application.

#40 ·
htnguyen7 said:
Lawndress said:
How much nitrogen should you figure 5#/M is? I'm picking some up this weekend, and I've never used this product before. I don't want to overfertilize for the year because I didn't figure this into my calculations.
Carbon pro G or L does not contain N. It's a soil amendment.
It contains chicken poo. Therefore, there is N. But I suspected that it wouldn't be too much. I was just being cautious.

I didn't check when the landscape supply co was open before I left home and I missed it. :(((( I'll have to go another day.

#45 ·
Togo said:
The rep at site one specifically told me swine poo and not chicken poo
I think I heard chicken poo from an online reviewer on youtube. So it's second hand. Not that I care! Lol.

#46 ·
I was looking on the Lesco site, not the Mirmigreen site. All they had was a picture of the bag that wouldn't blow up large enough to see. Even their msds was useless. So thanks!

#47 ·
Lawndress said:
Togo said:
I think I heard chicken poo from an online reviewer on youtube. So it's second hand. Not that I care! Lol.
Again, from what the SiteOne rep was saying, swine ranks better than chicken by a long shot second only to human poop. Idk that it makes that much of a difference but mirimichi does list it as swine on their website.

#48 ·
Lawndress said:
I was looking on the Lesco site, not the Mirmigreen site. All they had was a picture of the bag that wouldn't blow up large enough to see. Even their msds was useless. So thanks!
Yeah not a problem. I had actually reached out to Lesco about this product and they basically directed me to mirimichi as it's basically their blend that's been tweaked to Lescos specs.

#50 ·
corneliani said:
I'd rather it be chicken than swine manure but i'm not really sure why. Just perception, i guess.

Thanks for digging this up @Togo . Never noticed that on the bags of carbonizPN i've previously bought.
:thumbup:
Yeah I'm not sure really how it all differs but I applied 5lbs per M now and I'll do again in the fall and see if it effects my CEC or OM at all.

#51 ·
Togo said:
Lawndress said:
Togo said:
Again, from what the SiteOne rep was saying, swine ranks better than chicken by a long shot second only to human poop. Idk that it makes that much of a difference but mirimichi does list it as swine on their website.
What matters is the NPK ratio and whether it's composted to the right degree. The rep.was probably saying that based on the fact that chicken manure is usually composted along with the bedding, while swine is composted alone. Chicken is a hotter/higher quality manure to start with, but I don't think it's usually composted without the bedding.

Cattle and horse can still have seeds survive the digestive process, which is not great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.