Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Topic Author
gkeller8
Grass Type: Tall Fescue/KBG
Lawn Size: 24,000
Mower: Scag Liberty Z

Missed a Day of Watering

Post by gkeller8 »

I put down seed on Wednesday during a steady light rain, so the ground was nice and throughly moist. Yesterday morning I put a little more seed out and top dressed my really thin areas with peat moss. Yesterday evening, I watered everything again to insure it hadn't dried out with the peat moss maybe absorbing some of the moisture. I'm a fireman and today is my day on duty. That being said I got up early this morning before I came to work to water everything. However my wife didnt water when she got home this evening. Is my new seed going to dry out quick enough for this all to be a waste? It's been unseasonably cool due to a cold front... so I do have that going for me as well. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by gkeller8 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BBLOCK
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: kbg mono. tttf/kbg mix
Lawn Size: 45.5ksqft
Mower: JD 220A/husqvarna-ts-248-g

Re: Missed a Day of Watering

Post by BBLOCK »

You'll be fine. Just keep watering when you can.

Check out my journal for 31k I have been growing wo irrigation

Lawn Noob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 3500sf
Mower: Toro Super Recycler

Post by Lawn Noob »

You’ll be ok. Nature doesn’t water everyday either and grass grows fine. All the watering we do is done to maximize our opportunity for success.

stevehollx
Grass Type: Turf Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 6000 sqft
Mower: Greenworks 21" 2501202

Post by stevehollx »

gkeller8 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 pm
I put down seed on Wednesday during a steady light rain, so the ground was nice and throughly moist. Yesterday morning I put a little more seed out and top dressed my really thin areas with peat moss. Yesterday evening, I watered everything again to insure it hadn't dried out with the peat moss maybe absorbing some of the moisture. I'm a fireman and today is my day on duty. That being said I got up early this morning before I came to work to water everything. However my wife didnt water when she got home this evening. Is my new seed going to dry out quick enough for this all to be a waste? It's been unseasonably cool due to a cold front... so I do have that going for me as well. Thanks in advance!

Also here in Charlotte I didn’t have to irrigate the last 2 days due to the rain we had the 2 days before. You may be okay depending on how much direct sun you get. Also, the seed hold moisture for some time after the ground loses it…so yeah, don’t sweat it. Watch the peat and get more down if it starts to disappear or you need more hydration buffer.

Jeff_MI84
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue/ KBG
Lawn Size: 4556sqft
Mower: Toro 22” Recycler

Post by Jeff_MI84 »

You’ll be fine. I have grass growing in some driveway cracks that didn’t get water and it’s growing fine.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products