Lawn Care Forum banner

Last Mow - Mulch or Bag leaves?

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Deadlawn 
#1 ·
Good morning all! Will be doing my last mow of the season today as it's 55 and drops to highs in the low 40s from here on out. Is it recommended to mulch the leaves or bag them for the last mow? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Mulch 'em. I was plowing the leaves with the mower last week, too deep to all go under the mower. If you have to make a second pass, ok then, or raise it slightly. Maybe if you have monstrous oak trees, you don't really need all of those leaves, but it makes great dirt, eventually.

#9 ·
Bag but it really depends just how many leaves you have. This past week, all of my yard waste bins were full of leaves, so I mulched instead.
It was OK but it didnt do as well as if I had just bagged it. Part of the problem is that I have a cheap electric mower without a mulching bag. My Ryobi certainly doesnt mulch as well as my old Honda did with the dual blade.

#12 ·
If there are too many leaves, or you think there will be, bag. I overloaded the lawn with leaves once...overloaded the grass to the point where I couldn't see half of the grass blades. Needless to say, I was out there raking on warm days in January because I couldn't see grass between the leaf pieces.

If there's disease, definitely bag.

Otherwise, you can mulch.

#13 ·
Last mow was Nov. 20 and all the lawn and garden equipment waa put away for the winter last weekend except for garden hoses which will be disconnected and stored inside within the next week.

I always mulch mow. If there is an excess mulched leaf layer on top, I blow the excess off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.