Lawn Care Forum banner

Advice for Spreading Seed

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MacLawn 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I think I've settled on a 90/10 tttf and kbg mix. I've been considering going with the blend Hogan's has. I've seen some comments before about folks not using a blend that comes in the same bag but rather spreading the tttf and kbg separately due to the size differences of the seed. I believe it was said that the kbg would make its way to the bottom of the spreader more easily and therefore spots would be heavy with that.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how important that is. I'm sure it depends on the person but wondering if there would be a noticeable advantage to spreading it separate?

The rep from hogan's said he didn't think it was necessary to split it up in his opinion.

What do you guys think?

#3 ·
Spreading separately would ensure even coverage which you might not get by spreading together since in part the spreader setting you will use will be higher than what is normally be used for KBG because of the TTTF.

The key obviously is to get KBG in all areas that you're seeding so if I were going to spread from a mixed bag I would break the bag into smaller portions ensuring there is KBG seed in each and use them across the area(s) you're seeding rather than just dumping from a full mixed bag and spreading potentially ending up with more KBG where you started and less where you finished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.