Lawn Care Forum banner

Fungus ID thread

105K views 693 replies 203 participants last post by  Therookie22 
#1 ·
Yes, it is that time of year that heat + moisture + some spore = fungus. Getting a proper ID ensures we are using the correct fungicide to treat it instead of wasting money.

Here are some links that help in the ID/treatment options:
http://turfdiseaseid.ncsu.edu/ - This is the main one I use since it helps to narrow it down
https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases-in-turf/
https://turf.purdue.edu/professional.html

But ID is only half the problem. How to treat it is the next step. This fungicide guide has info on each class of fungicide and what they treat. Like antibiotics, it is important to switch types to avoid the turf building resistance.

If you need help, post good pictures with some of the key characteristics. We will try to help, but some times it needs samples sent to a lab for correct id.

#4 ·
g-man said:
Is this only in one spot or all over? What fungicide are you using? I'm not sure what this is. It doesn't look like dollar spot.
It is in spots through the lawn. Worst is one corner that gets sun for the first half of the day, with multiple spots about the size of soft balls or soccer balls. Probably 15 spots making up a 20'x20' area.

Then spots throughout the sides and front of the lawn. Ranging from golf ball size circles to soccer ball sized circles. Brown circles, just noticed that white stuff on them in the morning today. Normally it's just brown.

Using Bayer Advanced granules. Last app was last weekend at the curative rate.

#6 ·
Turfguy93 said:
aug0211 said:
Snow mold?
Photos taken just now at 6:30 AM.

I use a preventative fungicide and have backed off of the N - but was spoon feeding N to try to fill in bare spots in April/May. Obviously no N now... lots of rain lately and areas have been super wet.

That's dollar spot, dollar spot is going rampant this year
Thanks, turf guy. So maybe backing off the N was a bad idea. Should I pick it up again? I believe dollar spot wants N, but snow mold does not - right? What to do :)

Also - I've been using granules. Maybe switch to a liquid for these problem areas? Or are the granules as effective?

#15 ·
Took these a half hour ago or so.

First is the overall discolored area. Second is a closer shot, and the third is the blades. Bottom blade I'd say is definitely brown patch, but what about the other? Note the colors of the lawn aren't accurate, but the level of discoloration is.

Edit: Maybe the photo order got changed when the post was moved, or I messed up on the order, but you get the point.

#16 ·
@Green I moved your post here to keep the fungus Id in one spot.

The blade in the top image looks like the hourglass from Dollar spot. But the image of the area does not. I also don't see the smoke ring of brown patch. Therefore I'm not sure.

#17 ·
g-man said:
@Green I moved your post here to keep the fungus Id in one spot.

The blade in the top image looks like the hourglass from Dollar spot. But the image of the area does not. I also don't see the smoke ring of brown patch. Therefore I'm not sure.
It does. But at the same time, the lesion border on the bottom blade looks like the border on brown patch. And those lesions on the top blade...I'm not sure what they are.

The overall view may be complicated by browning from heat stress.

#19 ·
social port said:
Green said:
That is what occurred to me as well.
I'm inclined to see a very small brown patch on the top blade as well, to the left of the tear in the blade.
Also, has it been cloudy there?
Agreed. And no, it's been mostly sunny the past week...why? Again, the color in the 2nd photo is not accurate, due to sunset.

#20 ·
Green said:
social port said:
Green said:
That is what occurred to me as well.
I'm inclined to see a very small brown patch on the top blade as well, to the left of the tear in the blade.
Also, has it been cloudy there?
Agreed. And no, it's been mostly sunny the past week...why? Again, the color in the 2nd photo is not accurate, due to sunset.
Since g-man wasn't sure re dollar spot, I was considering net blotch as a possible alternative; brown patch + net blotch. However, from what I understand, net blotch doesn't like the sunlight, so it may not be the best candidate given your recent sunny days.