Seeding TTTF

Cool season grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue & Rye
Lov2mow
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Toro 22" recycler

Seeding TTTF

Post by Lov2mow » Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 am

When seeding small patches approx. The size of your hand. Surrounding TTTF is growing over patches limiting sun. I cut the lawn short to begin with 2x a week, but it seems seeded patches have a low germination rate due to limited sun. Any suggestions.

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Exmark Metro

Re: Seeding TTTF

Post by Babaganoosh » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 am

How many days has it been since you sowed the seed?

Did the seed dry out at all? Did you get hard rain and the seed washed away?

I usually knock the grass back down with the line trimmer around my patches.

Oregonseed
Lawn Size: 1000
Mower: Hrx

Post by Oregonseed » Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 pm

When it's small areas like you mention, I prefer to transplant. Dig up a few plants from a thick area of the lawn and transplant it to the bare area. Both spots will back in over time. Quick and easy establishment.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Wed May 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Oregonseed wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 pm
When it's small areas like you mention, I prefer to transplant. Dig up a few plants from a thick area of the lawn and transplant it to the bare area. Both spots will back in over time. Quick and easy establishment.
Great advice...a plugging tool can expedite the process and make it neater.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Lov2mow
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Toro 22" recycler

Post by Lov2mow » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm

It's been about 2 weeks. Dont get me wrong there's germination, but not even close to what it would be if it were out in the open. The seed has not washed away due to rain, but I've just noticed the germination rate is slow and slim. I guess that's expected because of the limited sun due to surrounding grass. I attach a pic tomorrow. Transplanting sounds like a much better idea going forward. Plus Im not that skilled with a trimmer to clean up around the bare spot without possible compromising the new seed. Thank you all.